Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Thanksgiving Dinner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Turducken=good Reply with quote

I've picked up Turducken from Sam's (or was it BJ's?) for a pretty reasonable price (<$30, I think) and have even seen them seasonally at Food Lion. GOOD EATIN'. I've heard rumors that in some locales (and at particularly large feasts!) this is extended into the Osterducken--by shoving the Turducken into an Ostrich! Any confirmation of this rumor?

One nice thing about Turducken is that there's a different layer of stuffing between each bird--yummy!
starxcrost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Sewing a Deboned and Stuffed Turkey Reply with quote

I am celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday (26th of November)

I plan to debone and then stuff a turkey for the main course.

I have experimented on two chickens with two different methods.

The first method was difficult and involved deboning the bird by basically turning it inside out as you cut away the carcass. (I literally butchered Bird #1 and practically minced most of the breast meat!)

The second method was easier but requires that the bird be stitched back together in order to regain its shape. (I was successfull with Bird #2).

Does anyone have any experience in doing this?

My main two questions now are regarding the best way to sew the poultry together and how long the turkey should be cooked.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer any suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Turkey, Cooked Reply with quote

Here is my thanksgiving tukey, ala the cookingforengineers recipie. Also used the giblet gravy recipie. The meal was fantastic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rise/67030336/
Craig Fry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What causes the crack in the middle of a pumpkin pie? How do you prevent it?

Couple things:

1) Water bath. Put a pan of water in the oven, put the pie in the pan. The steam will keep the top pliable

2) When cooking time has almost ended, turn off the heat and crack the door a little. Cooling to fast can crack it also.
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: No leftovers Thanksgiving menu Reply with quote

I've found that two people and one turkey makes for too many meals with turkey in it for marital harmony. Teasing

So I offer the "No Leftovers Menu" for Thanksgiving

Appetizer:

V-8 juice, chilled. It's in a can, but it is good. Can be seltzer-ed up a bit into an ornate Virgin Mary and decorated with a lime slice.

Service:

Cornish game hen, decorated with beef bacon, with a slice in the cavity.

Stuffing prepared on the side for reasons of food safety: wild rice and brown basmati cooked in vegetable broth with onions, mandarin oranges, raisins, and a touch of rosemary.

Steamed "toy boy bok choy" and assorted Asian greens, including mustard, from the garden.

Applesauce and whole berry cranberry sauce as chutneys.

Salad:

(yes, salad traditionally comes *after* the meal)

Sharp mesclun with lemon juice, dill, yogurt, and a touch of olive oil dressing.

Dessert:

Maple sugar pumpkin pie.
65Monza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving Dinner Reply with quote

Michael,

Any suggestions as to what to bring to a Vegan Thanksgiving dinner? Everyone is asked to contribute something to the meal.
yocona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner Reply with quote

65Monza wrote:
Michael,

Any suggestions as to what to bring to a Vegan Thanksgiving dinner? Everyone is asked to contribute something to the meal.

Acorn Squash Stuffed with Wild Rice, Cranberries & Hazelnuts
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Acorn-Squash-Stuffed-with-Wild-Rice-Hazelnuts-and-Dried-Cranberries-15576
You can easily sub vegetable oil for the butter in the recipe. I usually make an orange buerre blanc to drizzle over it. To achieve almost the same flavor minus the butter, you could reduce orange juice with a little shallot and splash of vinegar.
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

pimp5life wrote:
im getting bored with the traditional thanksgiving dinner

I love thanksgiving Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: