Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thai bucket stove

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexmo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Thai bucket stove Reply with quote

aka clay stove.

Found this little monster at a Viet grocer in St. Pete, FL. Have since spied them in two other sizes at Viet grocers West Palm and Lauderdale Lakes.

It looks pretty similar to the improved Lau bucket stove pictured online.

The No. 2 size bucket I have been using is about 12" across the top. It is a clay lined galvanized bucket, with 3 standoffs on the top to allow combustion gases to vent. Wide slot at the base for combustion air and stick feeding. Basically a third world wood/charcoal stove for cooking your family's rice on.

Can use charcoal above the built in grate, or burn sticks below it. No charcoal starter needed, couple of sheets of newspaper under grate gets it going.

Have been using it:
with a cast iron grate for steaks, burgers;
under a wok;
with a 13"x5/8" kiln shelf as pizza stone to pre-cook pizza shells;
as an outdoor fireplace.

A fine piece of kit for $17.99.
ERdept

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for one of these, and expect to find them on the net but can't.

Any referral to a seller is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERdept wrote:
I've been looking for one of these, and expect to find them on the net but can't.

Any referral to a seller is much appreciated.

I just bought one (used it for the first time today) at a local Asian supermarket in Dallas so they are around. Found this as I was looking for info on them:

http://grocerythai.com/thai-charcoal-stove-p-856.html?osCsid=5df070e47eb20dc56f3bf01bd81f6452

Looks like it'll be fun.
dlmz06

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two sources are now listed for sale on the web.
From the pictures looks like I have versions of both.

One is a lower grade in my opinion thin handle metal strip, bucket that rusted quickly outside. But works. For $29.

The other from import foods is a higher quality, efficient design, with better molded insert and definitly better bucket and handle. $65 with shipping about $15. I recommend this one. Very economical on charcoal. The ceramic gets hot and the food cooks from direct heat from the fire and indirect IR heat from the ceramic edges. The inspection opening on the side of the top rim on this is a significantly smaller than the classic design to direct more heat to the pan, and just slightly smaller for the charcoal feed opening.
look down toward the bottom of the page at this link.
http://importfood.com/thaicookware.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum