Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sous Vide: Sous Vide Cooking at Home Setup Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bethany3cat

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Option for prepackaged PID thermo Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of or tried a SueVee temp controller? There's one on eBay, and it looks a lot like the Auber. My husband and I really want to try out the idea of Sous Vide before investing a whole lot, and I'm not so handy wiring together the small electronics.

The SueVee listing on eBay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140546361086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ) has a "buy it now" price of $129.95, but I just bid $55.00 for it. Before I go any higher, I was hoping to find somebody who might have some experience with it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: SueVee Reply with quote

I've got one of those, It is an on/off controller.
It holds a half degree each way with my crockpot.
It has become the only way that I cook.
If it ever quits I will get another one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using a dishwasher?
I read that that worked quite well.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Have you tried using a dishwasher?
I read that that worked quite well.

While it is possible to cook some foods in a dishwasher, it is nearly impossible to control temperature in such a way as to provide the even cooking that makes sous vide cooking so attractive. Also, because it's hard to control temperature, this introduces more uncertainly with regards to control for food safety.
lwb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Sous Vide Reply with quote

If you are connected to rain water or have little regard for the environment, and you have a decent hot water system you can do as I do.

Adjust the mixer tap or taps in a sink/laundry tub until the water coming out is just above the temperature required (to compensate for heat loss to the sink). Drill some holes in the plug so that water can escape.

Put your sealed foodstuffs in the water bath and off you go! You'll need to experiment with the holes in the plug and the amount of water coming in until the water bath maintains it's temperature throughout the cooking time.

This method only requires a thermometer!

Lachie
BeerScout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Sous Vide Controller Reply with quote

Here's what I bought. Looks like the best price out there. Need to insert the probe end in a copper tube and use some high temp caulk.

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, I have bought a kit of PID controller, SSR and sensor. The wiring diagram indicates a resistor parallel to the probe but gives no value. As a mechanical engineer/colour chemist/antiques dealer I am at a loss.
D M L-B
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Michael, I have bought a kit of PID controller, SSR and sensor. The wiring diagram indicates a resistor parallel to the probe but gives no value. As a mechanical engineer/colour chemist/antiques dealer I am at a loss.
D M L-B

Could the wiring diagram showing the probe and resistor using the pair to represent a thermister or thermocouple? In theory, the thermo sensor works by altering the resistance, right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: PID kit Reply with quote

Hi Michael, thanks for the insight. Will wire it accordingly.
D M L-B
Eran Tal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Michael-

Awesome blog, thank you so much. I was planning on using the following slow cooker as my pot to go along with the SVM1600

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/slow-cookers-3-in-one-slow-cookers.html

Do you see any issue with that?

Thanks,
Eran
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eran Tal wrote:
Awesome blog, thank you so much. I was planning on using the following slow cooker as my pot to go along with the SVM1600

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/slow-cookers-3-in-one-slow-cookers.html

Do you see any issue with that?

No, I don't think there will be any problems but you won't be able to hold too much water in that device, so you'll be limited to cooking small bags or eggs. It's a great start since you can use it to cook small portions and perfect your technique and upgrade later to a larger cooking device and use the same SVM1600.
PedroG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Sous vide with water pot in oven Reply with quote

What a pity I did not get aware of this awesome blog earlier!
I started sous vide with the water pot in oven method as described in two eGullet posts: Temperature stability with a water-pot in an electric convection oven and Sous-vide without buying expensive equipment.
Fortunately my oven allows temperature setting from 40C upward in 5C increments. With an oven that does not allow settings below 75C, one may use a more shallow pot without lid (allowing more evaporation cooling) and of a material reflecting heat radiation like stainless steel, aiming for a larger temperature difference between air and water. A disadvantage of shallower pots is (besides poorer temperature stability) a tendency of bags to float because bags cannot be arranged in a vertical position; a workaround is to include glass beads or marbles in the bags to weigh them down.
In 2009 I got my first PID (SousVideMagic) to control an electric 9L soup warmer, allowing unattended long time cooking, later I got a newer SVM with a FreshMealsMagic in an 18L polycarbonate container; the FMM would even allow to cook larger items in a bath tub.
tOM Trottier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: How about a thermal cooker? Reply with quote

How would a "thermal cooker" or big thermos chest do as a sous-vide cooker with no attention? It would start out at a higher temp, but the progression down as heat is lost would be steady and slow. Would this be effective and easy if recipes were adjusted?
PedroG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How about a thermal cooker? Reply with quote

tOM Trottier wrote:
How would a "thermal cooker" or big thermos chest do as a sous-vide cooker with no attention? It would start out at a higher temp, but the progression down as heat is lost would be steady and slow. Would this be effective and easy if recipes were adjusted?

See http://egullet.org/p1777861 and http://egullet.org/p1758780 :
It can be done for short time cooking. In a 28L Campingaz beverage cooler, I measured a temperature decay of 0.036°C/min, roughly 2°C per hour. One may well start 2-4°C above final core temperature, as the outer layers will anyway be overcooked by subsequent searing.
wizodd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Relatively inexspensive built-in Reply with quote

I'm working on building a heating element/thermostat into the bottom of m kitchen sink. Easy to fill, easy to drain, easy to clean, no storage space.

Could be done with an immersion heater and insulating the outside of the sink (insulated lid optional--but make the top of the lid a cutting board...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: