Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geostalking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Geostalking Reply with quote

Interesting article:
Quote:
We love sharing our favorite photos on Facebook or Twitter. But those innocent snapshots could be revealing a lot more about you than you might think, and opening you up to danger.

Cristina Parker loves taking pictures with her smart phone. But one day she got an ominous "tweet" from the website I Can Stalk U.com, telling her they know where she lives. "I thought it was a little scary. They were accurate to my location from my house. So my immediate response was, ‘What happened, how do you know where I am?’" Parker said.

It turns out Cristina's photos contained GPS information, called geotags, embedded by her smartphone. Every time she posted a photo online that she took with her phone, she was inadvertently giving out her whereabouts.

Gerald Friedland of the International Computer Science Institute co-authored a study on the privacy implications of geotagging. The findings: most people had no idea what they were posting online. "There's enough information out there that you can actually track people and do potential harm to them," Friedland said.

More at KAKE News
How to disable Geotagging
jpg metadata cleaner (to remove geotags from pics)
Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how this does this WITHOUT TELLING YOU ITS DOING IT!! (Not surprising though as peoples privacy IS GETTING VERY HARD TO COME BY (Especially for those who are 'ASLEEP'))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum