Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pump for Sous Vide bath

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noangel72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Pump for Sous Vide bath Reply with quote

Hi,

I am building a DIY sous vide bath and am looking at submersible aquarium pumps to circulate water, as these are mostly rated at 33°C I'm wondering if they would break down fairly quickly in a 55°C bath and what other solution I could employee to circulate water.

Thanks.
RunDeep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am using this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260688654282

It isn't self priming so the pump impeller needs to be in the water. I have a piece of tygon (reinforced poly) tubing on the inlet so I can take a suction on the far end of the tank with the pump on the heater end. I occasionally run up to around ~85°C range for fruit and veggies so I try to keep the top part of the pump out of the water (it is rated to 105°C). I just tiewrap it off to a PVC pipe frame that holds the heaters.

I started with this one:

http://www.lightobject.com/High-temperature100-39C-1LMin-mini-DC-Water-Pump-FDA-approval-Ideal-for-coffee-maker-or-other-food-process-application-P510.aspx

But, for probably no good reason, wanted one with more flow.

Good luck,
Eric
Neil Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use aquarium pumps. They're not up to the job. I melted enough of them finding that out.

I was using this pump in my home-made sous vide setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Electric-Submersible-Water-Pump-95-GPH-P-38B-/250722722452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a603d2294#ht_3344wt_1026

It's submersible, so I just mounted it below the project box, along side the heaters and thermocouple. (Unfortunately, the Russian heaters I bought from a dodgy Ukranian on eBay managed to rust through, so I bought a professionally-made Swiss model to replace it.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum