Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think of cast iron cookware ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castironkettles2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: What do you think of cast iron cookware ? Reply with quote

I've just started writing some articles on cooking using cast iron cookware at http://www.ecastironkettles.com, and I'm interested in what other members think of this type of cookware.

I seem to get the impression that some people swear by their cast iron cookware because it can heat evenly and is long lasting, whereas others just find them too heavy to handle and find seasoning an extra hassle.

Looking forward to reading your comments.
buttered popcorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Love it Reply with quote

I never cook with anything else. I wash my pans with soap sometimes and then put them on the stove and heat until the water boils off. The I add some garlic olive oil and swirl, then wipe lightly with paper towel. Then I do not use soap.
Mostly though I found that if the pan is well seasoned, it will wipe out with a towel. Season fully by coating sides and bottom with seasoned oil of choice and bake at around 250-300 for 30 minutes. You can throw it in when baking something else. Remove carefully ( hot handle ) and let cool . I have gone two years before having to re-season pans in past. Would not cook with anything else. Have 8", 10 " as well a large soup pot. All from yard sales. All my knives are carbon steel as well, and I treat them the same way.

How to care for pans:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CD4QtwIw...

See care instructions for knife care :
http://wildfirecutlery.com/WILDFIRE_CUTLERY_-_e-card-2.ppt

[url][/url]
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of cast iron cookware ? Reply with quote

castironkettles2 wrote:
I've just started writing some articles on cooking using cast iron cookware at http://www.ecastironkettles.com, and I'm interested in what other members think of this type of cookware.

I seem to get the impression that some people swear by their cast iron cookware because it can heat evenly and is long lasting, whereas others just find them too heavy to handle and find seasoning an extra hassle.

Honestly, I believe you just hit the nail on the head. Many of us find it to be a multiple use pan that will nearly has forever in the kitchen.

Some people find them too fussy and too heavy to deal with, it's a matter of choice and it's all about what you grew up with and are used to.

Biggles
kitchen boy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of cast iron cookware ? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
castironkettles2 wrote:

Honestly, I believe you just hit the nail on the head. Many of us find it to be a multiple use pan that will nearly has forever in the kitchen.

Some people find them too fussy and too heavy to deal with, it's a matter of choice and it's all about what you grew up with and are used to.

Biggles

Cast iron is used for cookware because it has excellent heat retention and diffusion properties and can be produced and formed with a relatively low level of technology. Seasoning is used to protect bare cast iron from rust, and to create a non-stick surface. I think because the factor of low level technology, this material not popular among user. But I'm believe there are still have advantages compare to other materials Smile
KitchenBarbarian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of cast iron cookware ? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:

Biggles

I grew up with cast iron and I still hate it, LOL! Yes, too fussy and too heavy for me, and actually pretty bad for even heating, in my experience (ie it does NOT heat evenly).

Also the cast iron cookware I see these days is not the cast iron of yesteryear. The stuff is thicker, has a rough pebbly surface - I don't see how anybody gets that stuff to take seasoning. I know of someone who finally ground the interior surface of newly purchased cookware to get it smooth before it would finally take the seasoning.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of old cast iron hand me downs - but recently picked up an old Griswold (thrift shop...) that is amazing thin and lightweight. it's become a fav in the kitchen.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of cast iron cookware ? Reply with quote

[quote="KitchenBarbarian"]
DrBiggles wrote:

I grew up with cast iron and I still hate it, LOL! Yes, too fussy and too heavy for me, and actually pretty bad for even heating, in my experience (ie it does NOT heat evenly).

Also the cast iron cookware I see these days is not the cast iron of yesteryear. The stuff is thicker, has a rough pebbly surface - I don't see how anybody gets that stuff to take seasoning. I know of someone who finally ground the interior surface of newly purchased cookware to get it smooth before it would finally take the seasoning.

Oh yeah, well, yeah. Today's cast iron cookware is exceptionally thick and the craftsmanship falls short in nearly every category. It's not right!

As far as heating evenly, it also has something to do with your gas or electric range. My old 1952 Wedgewood with the dual ring burners, after I adjusted the flame height (will cover a 14" bottom), all pans heat quite evenly. Heh.

xo, Biggles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Cooking with castiron Reply with quote

I have a lot of the high priced cookware: allclad, Lecreuset, Staub,etc. and speaking only of the fry pans, I consistently reach for my cast iron FPs the most. I have a 12'' Lodge that I use at least 3-4 times a week annd I use my very old lecreuset(not enameled inside) almost daily. I do not use soap on any of my cast iron, just hot water. After cleaning, I add a couple drops of olive oil or canola oil and wipe with paper towel. The one thing I've learned is to add hot water immediately after using, and by the time I'm ready to clean up, the pan cleans easily. And , yes, it is heavy but worth the heft to me.
mckalley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like mine although I have a few modern pans too but prefer the old cast iron ones.

I guess its like everything else: you get what you pay for.
If you pay for premium brands then you can get a great pan which will last you years, pay a little and you'll get little quality.

Not all cast iron pans are created equally!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Cast Iron Frying Pans Reply with quote

There is only one US manufacturer of cast iron cookware in the USA, and that's Lodge. Their quality is consistent, so the claim "you get what you pay for" is baseless. (This obviously doesn't apply to buyers in other countries)
ColbyCorey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that it may vary in other countries. As they say you need one piece of cast iron cookware because of its versatility. I have two of them. I used them mostly in winter to stews and roasts. If you are not comfortable with weight then look for enameled cast iron cookware that contains both helper and main handles and ergonomically designed handles that resist heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum