Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Velvet cupcake transmuted to Red Velvet Chai cupcake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mechno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Red Velvet cupcake transmuted to Red Velvet Chai cupcake Reply with quote

I was watching food TV the other day and saw a show featuring a Cupcake War. The first challenge was to make a cupcake that was "spicy". Though none of the contestants took spicy to mean something other than hot, I immediately thought of chai.

I'm not a red velvet cake aficionado, so could someone tell me the characteristics other than being red that mark a good red velvet cake?

I was looking at the recipe that Paula Deen
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html

and was analyzing it as a potential base for modification.

The ingredient mix of vinegar and baking soda should produce a salt, a hydrate, and CO2, unless the other ingredients inhibit the interaction. Is the purpose of the vinegar to provide a more airy cake via the gas it releases or does it add to the tangy flavor?

I was thinking of adding chai-milk in the place of the buttermilk.

I'd be very interested in anyone's input on my experiment.
Thanks,
MS.
The King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks! Looks great Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum