Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wooden mortar and pestle -- How to season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Wooden mortar and pestle -- How to season? Reply with quote

I got bitching about lacking a mortar and pestle I wanted for some Indian recipe and a friend was kind enough to give me one.

It's new, and made of a hard wood and is low and flatter than usual ones; more like a small bowl than anything else. His grandma got in in Lebanon, where he said they use it for garlic. It's nicely made, and the bevel of the pestle fits the angle of the bowl's bottom perfectly. I'm looking forward to using it.

Problem is that it seems very brittle/fragile. He said something about soaking it before use, but wasn't very clear. That kind of makes sense.

Anyone got any tips to "season" it before use? A good long soak and towel-dry, followed by some mineral oil?

Thanks,

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum