Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IR Thermometers & Emissivity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharksfan7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: IR Thermometers & Emissivity Reply with quote

I have a question about infrared thermometers and I figured this would be the best place to get the answer I'm looking for. I understand that different materials have different emissivities and that food items have an emissivity around 0.95. But I'm not sure about the math. I'm debating between two different IR thermometers, one has a fixed emissivity of 0.95 and the other, which is labeled as a "Food Safety Thermometer" is fixed @ 0.97. So I'm wondering, if both of these thermometers were to measure the temp of the same item at the same time, what difference in temperature should I expect to see? Is it a matter of degrees or would it be a small fraction of a degree? And if I were to try to take the temperature of something with a much lower emissivity, like a stainless steel pan, how far off would that reading be?
zelig2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference at 500 degrees between 0.95 and 0.97 is maybe a degree. If you measure a pan it can be nearly 50 degrees off.
sharksfan7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Is it safe to assume that at lower temperatures the difference would be even smaller? I'll be using it primarily when working with chocolate and the temperatures would be more around 80-120 degrees F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum