Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safely defrost in brine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Safely defrost in brine? Reply with quote

I was wondering, can you safely defrost chicken (etc.) at room temperature if it is in a brine solution? It seems like the salt in the brine would prevent the growth of bacteria. I realize that the brining would have little to no effect until the meat thaws.
Baboo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

When I was a teenager, I made some adult Jewish friends who always unthawed their chicken breasts in salted water. After tasting the end result, it was the best chicken I ever had. They POURED the salt on them too, in a ceramic sink filled with cold water, then literally dumping the salt, unceremoniously; over the breasts. They rinsed before cooking. Seems to me they'd be pretty wary of cooking something 'unkosher', so it must be OK?
Anyway, hope my experience helped you out Smile

I forgot to add, I think they mentioned that it helped to pull the blood out of the meat too, which it did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum