Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grinding alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Grinding alternative? Reply with quote

Made an Indian curry last night and instead of grinding the spices into a smooth paste, which is what I SHOULD have done, I just ran them through the blender.

The result was grainy and gross.

I don't have a grinding stone or a pestle or a metate or whatever you call those things.

Any idea for achieving a better result next time?
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Use a coffee grinder Reply with quote

First heard about the trick on Alton Brown's Good Eats, but it works -- you don't need a super expensive one either; a middle of the road coffee grinder that can grind down to an espresso grind will render your spices into a fine powder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum