Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Patent Pending"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elektronisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an engineer with an Intellectual Property law firm (and enthusiastic chef).

Michael's attempt to patent his layout is well within the framework for patent protection. The arguments against patenting data layouts are unfounded. Can you imagine if you invented dBase or Excel when everyone else was using a word processor? Of course not. Presenting data in an efficacious manner should be patentable don't you think?

The way or format in which data is displayed or presented is as valuable as most other inventions. If I give you a few random lines of code, if won't mean much to you. But if I give it to you in a format you understand it will. Now take that one more place, what if I give you something that you don't understand but I make it understandable? Don't you think that my interpretation / translation should be patentable if I invented the method for presenting the data myself?

Look at how many patents there are involving the Braille system? Isn't this just another way of displaying, presenting, or conveying info / data?

All I'm saying is that according to current USPTO guidelines, Michael's invention is patentable if there is no prior art.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... the above post was pretty "far-out" from my perspective.

the man above says he is from an "Intellectual Property law firm (and enthusiastic chef)."

holy crap.... excuse my use of "intellect" for a engineer/lawer who deals in "intellectual property!"... whatever that means! ?!?!?!?

who brags about being an "intellectual" property law firm engineer/ "lawyer"... with a "penchant" for cooking...????

when all i am talking about is simple "venn" diagrams... from something
called "math".

hello???? (simple "math" people... simple math)

can a mathematical "venn diagram", be described as "art"?

nobody has bothered to answer this simple question?

(are we willing to even go there?!?!?!)

let me get this straight... the use of a venn diagram for a recipe is "PATENABLE" ?!?!?!

If so... i have no less then 1,000,000,000,000 ideas that can categorized in a simple venn diagram.

Gee thanks!

I guess I can quite my "day job" tomorrow, and start publishing old ideas, using even older methods of unions and dissection... and make money.

Who knew?

sigh.

sigh.

somebody put a nice hard "brickwall" in front of my head.... so I can pound my frontal lobes against it.... until all of this sillyness and stupidness of patenting a "mathmatical" language (invented myriads of years ago) has gone away.

Besides... (see prior posts on this thread)... the two column format ("No Patent Required"), as most agree, is much more effecient in communicating a recipe format anyhow... and anyway. Smile

p.s. ... with cheese even. Wink

p.s.2 "do i need a "patent" lawyer, who likes to cook, who knows "something" about math, to respond?

Last edited by eltonyo on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: A flowchart is a flowchart is a flowchart... Reply with quote

elektronisk wrote:
I'm an engineer with an Intellectual Property law firm (and enthusiastic chef).

Michael's attempt to patent his layout is well within the framework for patent protection.
<snip>
All I'm saying is that according to current USPTO guidelines, Michael's invention is patentable if there is no prior art.

The tabular recipe format is novel from a cooking standpoint, but is really just a horizontal flowchart from what I can tell. Have there been any recent reconstructions of flowcharts being awarded patents? I imagine it could go that way, but whether or not one "skilled in the art" would see it would be, IMO, the key counter-argument. Would the art be cooking (I doubt a chef would ever see it) or algorithms (anyone who has done software design would see the flowchart format)?
sgmoye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Some observations Reply with quote

1. I agree that a patent on a data format is a bad thing. The flow of information is important, and anything that hampers that is a bad thing.

2. I doubt that a data format, in and of itself, is a moneymaker. Rather it is the skilled and artistic use of the format -- whatever it may be -- that will make money.

3. Tabular formats, albeit simple ones, for recipes have been in use for almost a hundred years: Irma Rombauer in the 1920's (in notes for a cooking class at a Unitarian church in St. Louis), The Pet Milk Company (The Pet Milk Cookbook 1930 and 1932), and Gold Medal Flour up until the 1950's or 60's (recipe leaflets packed in bags of flour).

Better, I think, to make your mark continuing to do excellent work rather than to attempt to capitalize on the mode of its communication.
The Business Analyst

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to the patent? Some three years since the last post I did a patent search and couldn't find anything. Not that I intend to use the idea a whole lot, but I do find the diagram interesting. It's no subsitute for real directions though. I might include a few as humorous blank space fillers in my upcoming self-published book.
HarryJohnson66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for this topic Shock
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an insightful thread!
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This patent issue is not yet resolved as per checking. Maybe, because only few members are left here active. I hope others will do their come back.
Lyceme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah right. This forum is not active like before. I wonder where the other members are.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are still active as I can bump them in other threads. Maybe, it only depends on the topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum