Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

creaming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetcakes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: creaming Reply with quote

Why do some say when it comes to creaming butter and sugar,you should mix the butter alittle before adding the sugar? (the butter is already soften when i put in the bowl) this is still said after knowing this. And others say to just put both butter and sugar together in the bowl and start creaming. Which is the way to do this? This applies to cakes and cookies.

sweetcakes
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the butter is not soft, a bit a pre-mix helps break it up so it will soften quicker.

part of 'creaming' is getting the water in butter into contact with the sugar - so perhaps even if the butter is soft 'spreading it out thin' will increase the surface area . . . guessing here, actually....
sweetcakes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: creaming Reply with quote

so is it really nec. to cream the butter first,if i have already soften buter? could i just put the two tog. and cream it like that or would it be better to cream first. Based on your judgement would it matter that much if u dont cream it first verse doing the both tog. How do u do this process? anyone else would like to share how they do it too,would like to know.

sweetcakes
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cream butter and sugar together, I usually have the butter soft enough so it mixes without thumping around too much. Sometimes I blend it a little first to break it apart, but if it's soft already, I don't bother. I beat the sugar in until the color of the butter lightens and it seems to be "fluffier" or creamier than before. I think what's important is the even distribution of sugar throughout the butter and that it is soft and not chunky. I haven't noticed a difference between mixing the butter up first and then creaming vs. going directly to the creaming stage - but I have also not run any tests on this.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>experience . . .

I always pull the butter out and allow it to soften.

then again . . .

once it's in the mixer bowl, I always whap it around a bit before adding the sugar.

so,,, the question - rephrased ? - would be:

stick(s) of soft butter in the bowl, dump the sugar on and commence to cream the whole lot together at the same time

- or -

sticks(s) of soft butter in the bowl, whip the butter into a thin layer, then add the sugar.

given sufficient 'creaming time' my bet is both methods will produce a similar end result.
sweetcakes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: creaming Reply with quote

Imade cookies the other day and i found out i think i pre mixed the butter to much bec. my cookies spread. All I did is let the butter in the mixing bowl get to a thin layer and than added my sugar. Maybe I should of only beat the butter a little instead of what I did.? Yes i did have my butter soften already. Some say u should beat the butter first I really think thats too much mixing going on there before u add the sugar? Or maybe I am not doing it right?

Sweetcakes
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the recipe calls for "creaming the butter and sugar" the best indication of success is the color - it will turn noticeable paler / lighter when the process is complete.

>>cookies spread -
too much fat or as you mentioned letting the butter get too soft.
sweetcakes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: creaming Reply with quote

so should i only beat the butter for maybe 30 sec. instead like i did, got it creamy than add the sugar. I guess what i am asking is for making cookies that tell u to cream butter and sugar tog. thats all it says,how long should i slap the butter around in the mixer before adding the sugar? Butter is soften already just giving the butter more surface area for the sugar.

Sweetcake
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the purpose of beating the butter prior to adding the sugar is to ensure it is soft - that's all - if you've already allowed the butter to warm to the point it is not chunks - no need to "pre-beat" the butter at all -

as soon as the butter is free of big chunks and lumps - add the sugar
yocona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: creaming Reply with quote

sweetcakes wrote:
Imade cookies the other day and i found out i think i pre mixed the butter to much bec. my cookies spread.
Sweetcakes

If your cookies spread too much, it usually means that your oven isn't quite hot enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum