Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Healthy saute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digicook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Healthy saute Reply with quote

I find references to a technique called 'healthy saute'. This purports to be a healthier equivalent to the regular saute, without using heated oils. As far as I understand, the idea is to use 1 or 2 tablespoons of broth, heat in a skillet until it starts to bubble, then add chopped onions, stirring for 5 minutes. The point of this is to get the onions to release their own oils, which can then be used to saute other stuff.

Advantages of this method would be:
- less unhealthy fat
- no heated oils, as "research shows that exposing oils to high heat results in the production of oxidized compounds and free radicals"
(Healthy Sauté Cooking Method)

So I'm wondering: if heating, say, olive oil resulted in the production of these compounds, then why would heating the natural oils present in the onions not result in exactly the same thing?

In other words: how healthy is 'healthy sauteing'? Any ideas?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, what is an unhealthy fat?

then, what is a healthy fat?

sounds like another fad method/style to me -

for years and years I've been using olive oil to saute. smoke point-joke point - you should never get there anyway.

if you're going to turn your cooking oils into black tar goop in the pan, might want to consider alternate methods of cooking - like poaching.
IDontUse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry for not answering your actual question, but please don't saute with olive oil that's a waste of money. Use vegetable oil or clarified butter. These have much higher smoke points. And oils are not fats, and not unhealthy.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDontUse wrote:
i'm sorry for not answering your actual question, but please don't saute with olive oil that's a waste of money. Use vegetable oil or clarified butter. These have much higher smoke points. And oils are not fats, and not unhealthy.

Olive oil has a great flavor that other fats cannot mimic. As long as you keep below the smoke point (which is quite high when buying a quality extra virgin olive oil like Colavita or Filippo Berio or Bertolli). And oils are fats - by definition. A fat which is liquid at room temperature is called an oil.
IDontUse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY sautes are cooked far beyond the smoking point of olive oil for best quality, and again, it is a waste of money, high quality olive oils are best used in a vinaigrette or mayonnaise where the flavor is really tasted. And you're right oils are technically fats, but in the industry we generally refer to the solids as fats and liquids as oils.
Tuscan Chef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: oils are not fat Reply with quote

to me oil is fat.

Unhealty fat: Fat with high peroxides. Fat with colesterol included. Fat without free radical protection (e vitamin and others), Fat with acidity, meaning that there are free organic acids. Heated fats. Margarines (hidrogenated oil). Fats that are excrated using chemicals.

Heatly fats. Cold pressed, low temperature natural oil. Including high antioxidant and free radicals catchers. Low acidity (o,1%) to be heated once (never use an oil for fying twice).

Because all of what makes unhealty is also reducing flavour:

Unhealthy fat: bad taste

Healthy fat: good taste.

I guess that's a good start for explaining it......someone wants to add to the list?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum