Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Smoked Beer Can Turkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Beercan Turkey Reply with quote

Beercan Turkey is super easy and super tasty! A really EASY way to cook your turkey is to buy a Bayou Classic Turkcan Rack. The rack is made larger to hold a turkey and the beer. You should get one or two before the holidays! Smile
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Beer can Turkey Reply with quote

I've been a camper for over 30 years and I like to cook over the open fire. I have a fire pit in my backyard. I made a type of grill out of an open top 55 gln. steel drum. I start a fire using a good amount of wood (Oak). When the wood burns down I put a large stainless steel bowl at the bottom of the drum but above the fire and add water untill about 1/2 full. Then I put the grate above that (use the same grate as a round Webber grill uses, it fits inside the drum). Then put your turkey on the grate and cover with the lid that comes with the drum. I cut an opening in the drum just below the area where the bowl of water is, and made a hinged cover to fit over the opening so I can add more wood as needed to keep the fire going. At this point I use Apple wood. Apple wood works best because it doesn't over power the meat and adds a somewhat sweet smoke flavor to the meat. I use a vegetable can instead of a beer can, it fits perfectly inside the Turkey.
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: If You Like Beer Can Chicken Reply with quote

Well, if you like Beer Can Chicken, you have to check out http://www.RedneckGear.com
low and slow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Beercan Turkey Reply with quote

There's lot's of good info here! I've been smoking turkeys for some years and learned a good tip from my CPAP humidifier: Heat the liquid (beer or other beverage) prior to placing on the grill. Sure, you have to be as careful placing the bird as removing it, but pre-heated liquid will create steam much more rapidly, and that's the moisturizing ingredient that makes the difference!
Rann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: drunken chicken Reply with quote

The beer can turkey is a good idea but your missing something. While living in south Mississippi a cajun cook tought me the ark of drunken chicken. Now as it is first thing in tha am for me pardon the spelling BUT he added a half a package of CRAB BOIL to the beer and rubbed the rest on the bird. This offset the bland taste of the bird as well as giving it some spice to the finnished dish. As I am not a crab eating kinda guy Ive tried several types of seasoning but allways came back to the crab boil. If anybody is interested email and Ill share the brand name of the boil for all of ya as well as the Cajun method that makes for some amusing reading.

Rann
sugrpuz@gmail.com
Jessem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Build your own smoker Reply with quote

OK we are suppose to be engineers right? Build your own smoker from a section of 21 inch casing and a man hole cover, works wonderful and unlike the Binks type smokers it will never burn our. If you would like to know how, send me an e-mail at Jessem@wp.state.ks.us, This smoker is large enough to smoke a turkey and also turns out great steaks etc.

JM
ewm3736

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Beercan Turkey Reply with quote

I tried your recipe with a 3 burner gas grill (one burner on, set LOW): taste was good, meat was moist and done. Second time around to smoke, I used a combination of applewood sawdust, mesquite chips, and hickory chunks, 1/4, 1/4, 2/4 by weight. Mixed the spices of your rub into 2 sticks of room-temp butter, lifted the skin of the breast and other accessible places, and stuffed the spiced butter mix next to the meat. The little I had left over went inside the bird. Your recipe is good --- but try this change for yourself. The bird is self-basting, so the result is indescribably great!
And YES, I am an engineer, a chemist, and a member of Les Marmitons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: grilling with beer Reply with quote

I am working on a cookbook about grilling with beer, and if you are interested in testing recipes, please let me know - lucy@beercook.com - site is www.grillingwithbeer.com
Try the turkey on a large can of cream ale for a treat...
xfrench

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: coke glaze Reply with quote

Using CocaCola as a ham glaze is something I've come across as a Mexican/Cuban/Latin trick that goes back a ways...
Sledgehammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Emergency BBQ Sauce Reply with quote

In college, my bro's roommate turned me on to this emergency BBQ sauce for when the bottle runs dry:

Equal parts Coca Cola and Ketchup.

It's no substitute for homemade or KC Masterpiece, but it tastes pretty good.
rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: KEG ROASTER Reply with quote

I RECIEVED A KEG ROASTER FOR CHRISTMAS. JUST PUT IT TOGETHER. USES A 30,000 BTU BURNER A DRIP PAN AND A HEAT DIFFUSER. WITH AN ALUMINUM DOOM TO COVER 3 CHICKENS, OR UP TO A 20LB TURKEY. LOOKS REALLY COOL, DONT KNOW YET HOW IT COOKS. BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCESS WITH CAN RECIPES FOR BEEF, PORKRIBS OR WHATEVER?
THANKS
ROOKIE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER QUESTION WITHOUT SPELL CHECK Reply with quote

SORRY ABOUT THE DOOM DOME. I R A ENJUNEAR AND I CAINT EVEN SPELL IT. THE BRINE PROCESS. IS IT NECESSARY. WHAT DOES IT DO FOR THE BIRD.
sandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: http://softmarketindia.blogspot.com/ Reply with quote

That sounds great. We like anything cooked in beer. The fact is that we are hooked on deep fried turkey. We like Rice Oil because the smoke point is higher than peanut oil. We inject with a cajun sauce and 45 minutes later the turkey is perfect. Laughing Out Loud posted by http://softmarketindia.blogspot.com/
cz

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: www.czech-info.net Reply with quote

http://www.czech-info.net/

Czech beer information, history, ow to make beer at home etc. and another information about Czech, Prague, travel, real estate, prices, foto galery, Prague pubs, tips
chemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Volatiles Reply with quote

I agree with Mithrandir, there has to be something coming off the beer besides water vapor, otherwise you would not smell the cooking beer, and I can vouch for the fact that boiling beer has a smell from the times that I have boiled bratwurst in beer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: