Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Asparagus with Almonds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Asparagus with Almonds Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Here's a really simple asparagus recipe that is not only quick to make, but tastes great and can accompany virtually any main dish.

The only ingredients needed are: 1 lb. asparagus, 1/4 cup (30 g) chopped almonds, one tablespoon (15 g) butter, salt, and pepper (and cayenne pepper, if desired). Wash and clean the asparagus, breaking off the hard fibrous parts of the stems, if necessary. If the almonds haven't been chopped up, then finely chop the almonds.

Melt 1 Tbs. butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. The pan should be large enough to hold all the asparagus later.
[IMG]

Once the butter has melted, cook the almonds in the butter until the butter and almonds have browned.
[IMG]

If some spiciness is desired, add a little (or a lot) of cayenne powder as desired and stir it into the butter and almonds.
[IMG]

Add the asparagus to the sauté pan. Season with salt and pepper. Then toss to coat with butter and almonds. Actually, you probably don't want to actually toss (or use the saute motion) as a mess will probably result. Just use a large silicone spatula or a wooden spoon and move the asparagus around while scooping the butter almonds up on top.
[IMG]

The asparagus can then be cooked in the pan as long as you keep the asparagus spears moving. This takes about 6 to 8 minutes. The best way to check if they are done is to take a little bite of one of the spears. The asparagus should be crisp but without a raw taste. An alternative method is to pour a little water (1 to 2 Tbs.) into the pan and to cover and let it steam for two minutes. Then uncover and let the water evaporate while sautéing.

[IMG]

Asparagus with Almonds (serves four)
1 lb. (450 g) asparagussauté until tender
1 Tbs. buttermeltbrownadd
1/4 cup chopped almonds
a dash (1/16 tsp. or 0.1 g) cayenne pepper
salt
pepper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Also good with green beans Reply with quote

A great recipe, also good when made with green beans instead of asparagus.

Blanche the beans for about three minutes in salted, boiling water, then cook as you would the asparagus.

I like to add a minced garlic clove to the almonds, too.
Olympic204

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try roasting the asparagus in a 400 degree oven, coated with olive oil, salt, pepper for 12 minutes then adding the almond sauce when plated.
A Food Year

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: seconded Reply with quote

I second the roasting before adding the almonds... gives it a nice hint of sweetness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Or try... Reply with quote

Almonds -- great idea. I'll give it try.

I offer up the use of white wine (cooking wine is good enough) instead of water for the steaming portion. Makes a world of difference!
Dana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the idea of this recipe, but I didn't have almonds on hand so I used pine nuts in stead. I also tried roasting the asparagus in the oven, like Olympic204 suggested. So, while I made quite a few alterations to the recipe, I still like to think that, at heart, I followed it.

The asparagus turned out delicious.
AnneE from Paris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so good idea, simple and delicious

AnneE
http://stationgourmande.canalblog.com
asparagusgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: good use for asparagus Reply with quote

if you want some more recipes for asparagus, we have a ton on our site. we are the growers, packers, shippers, importers and exporters...and have a lot of information.

www.gourmettrading.net

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: second on green beans Reply with quote

I have made this several times with green beans, using the blanching tip. I keep slivered almonds on hand, and in my opinion it works better if I don't chop them up--it's too easy to burn the almonds and butter if they are chopped up small (learned on gas, and after ~20 years, I still haven't mastered an electric stove). I love the cayenne, and depending upon who I'm cooking for, I add some or a little more.

This is a standard in my cooking-meals-for-folks-in-need repertoire, and so far it's been very well received. Even by my own family, go figure.

I'm not an engineer but a scientist and think this is a great site! Must try asparagus, though I think green beans need more enhancement than asparagus!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

i have done something similar with whole oka pods. Haven't tried with almonds, but excelloent. You can also jut grill either to good effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: