Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Creme Brulee (Crème Brûlée)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yocona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: re:film ontop of brulee Reply with quote

Alana wrote:
you need to put glad wrap/cling wrap on top of your custard before placing it in the fridge this should stop a skin from forming
This technique is great for preventing a skin from forming on unbaked custard. When I read KEBAK's post, I assumed s/he was referring to custard that had been baked. I've never had a skin form on the baked custard. What I have experienced is more like a layer of fat that separated from the rest of the custard, and then became solid once the brulees were chilled.
keencook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google 'masterchef Australia creme brulee' and watch 'George' demonstrate cooking a creme brulee. He has good tips. [/i]
Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Agreeing with ben! Reply with quote

I was on the lookout for a creme brulee torch and could not fine one with both good reviews and a low price tag. A propane torch works as well as butane and very easy to operate not to mention better for any other household application. Home Depot has then crazy cheap and they are a must have to kitchen or workshop.

Also try torching sugar on top of a ramekin filled with creme brulee ice cream. My favorite twist on this dessert.
ilc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Using mini torch causes strang taste? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I bought a mini butane torch and even though I try to hold the flame further from the creme brulee, I find I can taste the butane?

Is this a common issue?

Thank you
yocona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made/eaten a lot of creme brulee, and have never experienced that problem. But I've never used butane, only propane--the Ace Hardware version of the Home Depot torch that Jesse described.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Awesome every time. Reply with quote

I have made this recipe the last few years, and I'm so not a cook. It has turned out incredible, always gets compliments, and is soooo silky. My favorite tip is from the person who said to use a bowl of ice water to dip your fingers into. I didn't have tongs, and it seemed quicker to do this anyway for me.
BEANER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: secret ingredient in creme broulee Reply with quote

a friend of mine went to 'chef school' and brought in this dessert. i had to try and guess what the secret ingredient was. it cayenne pepper. i haven't seen that in any of the recipes i've looked through. what's up?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creme brulee is at basis an egg custard with an eye appealing sugar 'top'

the custard really does not have a lot of marked flavors so it lends itself to being "spiced up"

a bit of googling will turn up all kinds of flavorings - including both white pepper and cayenne.

I think the combo works because the pepper has a little "bite" to it which offsets the sweet/creamy nature of the custard.

if you want to try it, I can only offer this advice: a little cayenne goes a long way - it's easily overdone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: less egg Reply with quote

use only 7 eggs it much better

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: sugar reduced version Reply with quote

Made this several times now and for the diabetics in the family, I used only 1/2 sugar in the recipe and for the other 1/2 used splenda (measure kind). Made 8 servings, needs to cook just a bit longer, but set well.
philipbradfield

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: creme brulee Reply with quote

What a pity that the list of ingredients does NOT include the raw sugar for the caramelised topping!

Famous at Trinity College, Cambridge (reputedly introduced by a SCOTS FELLOW)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: creme brulee Reply with quote

philipbradfield wrote:
What a pity that the list of ingredients does NOT include the raw sugar for the caramelised topping!

Recipes on Cooking For Engineers don't follow the "normal" recipe format. In the text, we generally include the ingredients we're about to work with and are pretty wordy about the process of putting together the recipe. The full ingredients list follows the article along with the summary of steps in tabular format. The intended way to read these recipes is to read the article first to get an idea and understanding of how the recipe is to be made, then use the summary table (we provide a link to a printable version of just the table) to have in the kitchen with you and actually make the recipe.
AlbCab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Spicy creme brulee Reply with quote

This recipe is fantastic.

Just a comment for a very early post (years ago ...) regarding the result being spicy.

This happens when you use artificial vanilla flavour in large quantities.

Congrats for the site.
DRALES

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Separating yolks from whites quickly for Creme' Brulee Reply with quote

Put all eight eggs in a bowl and then follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uz2Vnp5ZW4c
Engineer9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: My little twist Reply with quote

I have used this recipe many times with great success. I recently did a twist. I added orange extract - it is extracted from real oranges. 1/2tsp per batch. The orange flavour was a winner. I have also used the orange extract in a couple of other recipes and the results were quite good. I am not typically a fan of extracts but this one works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: