Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Creme Brulee (Crème Brûlée)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On July 21, 2008 at 05:27 PM, shadyg said...
Re: dorkydi

Yes, the traditional creme brulee recipe uses roughly half of the egg yolk specified in this one. I use the one listed in "The Professional Chef", which -- while specifying by weight -- calls for 4 yolks per pint of cream. The window for getting the custard to set perfectly is narrower, but the end result is much more delicate.

If the Professional Chef recipe you like specifies 4 yolks per pint of cream, why do you say to use 8 yolks for a pint? Have you forgotten there are 2 cups in a pint? I just made Alton Brown's recipe that is 6 yolks per quart (3 yolks per pint) and it's like eating a vanilla cloud. Your recipe must be much thicker using more than twice as many yolks.
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Runny Creme Brulee Reply with quote

Anyone have any ideas why my creme brulee might be runny besides starting out with cold water for the water bath? I have made creme brulee successfully many times in an electric oven. Once I got a new oven that is gas, my creme brulees are runny. They don't seem to solidify at all. Could the gas oven be my problem?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny Creme Brulee Reply with quote

Nicole wrote:
Anyone have any ideas why my creme brulee might be runny besides starting out with cold water for the water bath? I have made creme brulee successfully many times in an electric oven. Once I got a new oven that is gas, my creme brulees are runny. They don't seem to solidify at all. Could the gas oven be my problem?

Starting with cold water will drastically increase the cooking time required for your custards to solidify. The gas oven shouldn't make a difference unless the oven is running cooler than it should be (an independent oven thermometer could help to determine that). How much longer did you cook the creme brulee before you determined it wasn't going to solidify?
Lauren @ Delicateflavors

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Mango Creme Brulee? Reply with quote

I wonder if I can process mango in a food processor and make Mango Creme Brulee. Would it ruin the texture?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pureed mango should be fine going into it, maybe use a bit less sugar, but it will change the texture a bit. Unless you only used mango juice, the mango pulp is going to change it a bit. I would also cook it slightly longer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: creme brulee Reply with quote

I love the way Mr. Chu has presented this recipe and have forwarded the link to an engineer in Germany who really enjoyed this treat in a bistro in Wisconsin. Thank you for presenting it with both the American and the European measurements. I've made this dessert using old time recipes, and it can be a complicated, hair pulling task. Michael Chu has made it all so simple, just like my husband (the resident engineer) might have written it if he weren't busy doing other things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I had Valrhona Chocolate Creme Brulee served with Salted Caramel Sauce at the La Lucciola Restaurant in Bali. It was divine and have been thinking about trying to reproduce it back here in New Zealand. It was great to find this site with so many useful comments about making CB that I'll use this recipe as the base and go on from here. Just got to find a salted caramel sauce recipe!
Dr Oetker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Crème Brûlée with Ease Reply with quote

As a Crème Brûlée aficionado for >20 yrs I have stumbled on the easy way to make CB and taste is restaurant quality

Dr Oetker's Crème Brûlée premium dessert mix ( can be found @ nearest World Market or your local specialty store along with a Tiramisu mix )

You can then experiment with the mix using different flavorings ( my next ones are Strawberry, Blueberry, Orange etc... ) as it is neither time consuming nor costly to make ( 5 min prep, 5-8 min cook ) and cost under $3

Even order from Amazon --

Product Details
Dr. Oetker Classic Crème Brulee Dessert Mix 3.7 oz by Oetker New: $2.59 Cool Cool
Oak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: slightly easier modification Reply with quote

I lost my tried and true recipe (ratio really) for creme brulee, but this one is close enough that I can't tell the difference. The ratio of yolk-to-cream is important to get right, but one egg yolk more or less isn't going to be a deal breaker I guess. Personally, I like having a high yolk-to-cream ratio like this recipe has since I like a heavy and luscious custardy creme brulee rather than the lighter one you get when you only use the chef "recommended" 3-4 egg yolks to 2 cups cream.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that there is an easy modification to help ensure perfect custardy consistency every time -- deeper well ramekins. The ones shown here are wide and thin. They work fine, but timing is a little more tricky for the beginner and it is easy to overcook the creme.

I personally use deeper but narrower ramekins that hold the same amount as shown here. I find them far more forgiving since you can get a 1) higher water bath for better insulation and 2) decreasing the surface area while maintaining the volume causes the heat to percolate slower into the matrix, allowing smoother cooking and less chance of cooking through too quickly.

On the other hand, I cook at a higher temperature, 285-300, and cover my ramekins with foil to reduce evaporation from the creme. I also start with hot-ish tap water instead of boiling in the water bath to help make sure that the water and the creme are brought to temperature together and slowly. This also means I cook for longer, usually about an hour twenty to an hour and a half.

I don't know how much of this is superstition on my part as I've never experimented much since I started getting the consistency where I wanted it, so YMMV...
Lisarose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: creme brulee and this message board Reply with quote

What a fantastic place to learn from you experts on creme brulee! I have been reading all the comments for almost an hour and have learned quite a lot. I plan to make the basic recipe listed here and will use vanilla beans if I can find them. I believe I will make it in a casserole dish instead of the ramekins. This is because I don't want to buy the ramekins and have to store them. I also don't actually want the carmelized or burnt sugar at all. My sister says then it's not creme brulee, but it's the custard I want. I want to try a chocolate one sometime also.
The_dessert_guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Great Creme Brulee Reply with quote

This recipe tastes great, but i can't ever get the broiling right. I now use a flambe kit from dessertsnow.com & it comes out perfect every time. No torching & great aromas
moseywd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Creme Brulee Reply with quote

A great way to brulee if you don't have a torch is using a heat gun. I have one from ice hockey, used it to replace the blades. Anyway, works great on my creme brulee!
KEBAK

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: The wonders of the instant-read thermometer Reply with quote

For those asking about how to tell when done (when baking in oven), try using an instant-read thermometer... when centers reach 170-175 degrees, take them out, remove from water bath (wide tongs work well for this), set on rack to cool to room temperature (approx. 2 hrs., this allows middle to keep cooking), then cover w/ plastic wrap and put in fridge to fully cool (min. 4 hrs.). Tip - for accurate readings, the thermometer needs to be inserted w/ tip in center of food - not touching pan, not just at surface. Worth the investment, not only for this dish, but so many others! Happy eating....
yocona

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: creme brulee Reply with quote

glow wrote:
After being refrigerated to cool, my creme brulee developed a top layer that tastes like hardened butter; not a desirable addition. When removed, the rest of the custard was perfect. How can I avoid this from forming?
Also, if the ramekins are glass, and the custard has been chilled, won't they break when put under a broiler or when they are torched to get the sugar crackle on top?

I've experienced this under three different circumstances:
using pasteurized egg yolks
letting the cream boil
using 40% heavy cream (instead of 36%)
Alana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: re:film ontop of brulee Reply with quote

you need to put glad wrap/cling wrap on top of your custard before placing it in the fridge this should stop a skin from forming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: