Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Creme Brulee (Crème Brûlée)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
custard, by definition, is not a "runny" dish.

so, make it in a ramekin, chill, run a knife around the circumference and flip it out onto the pastry.

Only thing I would add to that is possibly to line the bottom of the ramekin with a sheet of parchment paper that is cut into a circle to help unmold the custard when you flip it over after running the knife along the edge.
annonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: refrigerator life Reply with quote

Does anyone know about how long you can keep the custards in the refrigerator before they are no longer good anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: storage after baking, before caramelizing Reply with quote

How long can one refrigerate the baked CB before caramelizing and serving? If they were covered well, would a couple of days be too long?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: storage after baking, before caramelizing Reply with quote

guest wrote:
How long can one refrigerate the baked CB before caramelizing and serving? If they were covered well, would a couple of days be too long?

I've held them three or four days without an issue. Prior to applying the sugar and caramelizing, just use a paper towel to absorb any liquid that may have collected at the top while in the fridge.
awarner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: re: Creme Brulee Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the simple step-by-step instructions with pictures! Makes cooking fancy stuff so easy! Happy Thanksgiving!
Tina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this recipe, it makes a great, wonderfully rich custard. I'm one of those rare people, it seems, who dislikes the sugar crust so I never do it. I'm also lacking in ramekins. I actually make one big custard in a large ceramic bowl, still doing the water bath, it takes about an hour and a half. Three spoon fulls is enough for a serving so it I've got days and days worth of desserts for the evening. Smile

I highly recommend this recipe, it's simple and delicious.
Howard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the cream need to simmer first?

Also, I exploded the top edge of a custard cup. Might be a good idea to wear glasses while making these.
Majesty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Warm crème brûlée Reply with quote

Just like innaphog I like my crème brûlée warm-ish. The best variation on a crème brûlée I had was last year in Dublin, where they served a 'rhubarb brûlée'. This was served in a high ramekin, where the bottom was filled with rhubarb, and on top crème brûlée. They served it warm, just like I like it. I don't know how to do that though. Is it just a matter of placing the crème in an oven again, to heat it up. Or even use a microwave? But no matter how it technically works, rhubarb and crème brûlée is a fantastic combination, because rhubarb has a lot of acid, and the cream has a hell of a lot of sugar, it is the perfect combination.
Michael has warned for this, and my experience with making the crème also shows this, is that everyone has different circumstances with baking. My sister gave me a recipe once but she uses low ramekins and has a cool, big oven, where I have only high ramekins and a cheap little electric oven. The crèmes turned out to be too soft inside. I don't know anymore what I changed but to me this whole experimenting is the whole fun of it all.
To remarks about vanilla: here in Europe a lot of recipes advise to let a vanilla bean (cut it open first, so the little seeds can swim out) boil with the heated cream, instead of adding vanilla-extract.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with your last step - refrigerate again. I'm glad you left it off of your diagrammed recipe. I like to caramelize the sugar right at the table & hand over to my guests. Warm on top, cold on bottom. Crunchy top, creamy bottom. LOVELY!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use amaretto as well as/or vanilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine sent me this recipe and I never knew that Creme Brulee was this easy. I love this recipe! And I agree with some people to not refrigerate again. Nothing's better than the warm top and cold bottom, YUM!
tk121

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: For a bit more vanilla flavor... Reply with quote

A great addition to this recipe is to add real vanilla bean into the custard just before pouring it into the ramikans.

You can buy whole vanilla bean at most regular stores near the other spices, and it will look like a chile pepper.

What you want to do is cut it in half along it's length over the custard, and scrape the inside of the bean causing the vanilla seeds in the center to go into the custard. I typically let it sit for a little bit to allow the custard mixture to soak up some of the vanilla flavor before cooking in the oven.

This will add a distinctive "vanilla" look to the custard with all the little seeds in it once it's cooked, and does wonders to the taste! Very easy addition to the recipe, albeit a bit on the expensive side - 2 whole vanilla beans usually cost about 5 bucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: no baking pan and large oven around Reply with quote

im an asian and oven is quite rare here,we have a microwave oven though...can i cook the creme brulee custard in a steamer? Unsure
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: no baking pan and large oven around Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
im an asian and oven is quite rare here,we have a microwave oven though...can i cook the creme brulee custard in a steamer?

I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to steam the custard. The only thing to watch out for is that the steam temperature doesn't get too high (you'll want to just simmer the water once it starts giving off steam - don't set it to a rolling boil) to keep the custard from curdling. Also, try to keep water that has condensated on the lid from dripping back onto the custards. Cook until the centers just jiggle slightly, then cool.
Fely Grace

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: concerning with the steamer Reply with quote

so you mean that on working with a steamer i should consider these things:be careful in the temperature and make sure that no condensated water drips from the lid into the custard...thanks...can i cover the ramekins with foil then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: