Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone eaten food treated with this process yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Has anyone eaten food treated with this process yet? Reply with quote

Link of process: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg15420774.300
ERdept

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not yet. Still eating foods processed traditionally, such as cooking.
Thor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: TMI Tomato Reply with quote

I have not been aware of eating any unprepared food item that had been pressure treated for my good health. I have eaten numerous foodstuffs that had been treated by the aforementioned “cooking” process.

But the treatment raises the interesting topic of food safety in the mass marketplace for fresh produce, meats and the like. With the current tomato debacle, and the relatively recent spinach scare, I’d think we can expect to hear about more alternative treatment methods. For instance, the FDA is apparently already considering safety implications of treating stuff with short bursts of low level radiation. Check it out:

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/catalog/irradbro.html
Jono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone eaten food treated with this process yet? Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:

Link of process: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg15420774.300

so the process doesn't kill off all the µorganisms, just splits some of the DNA etc. Mmm, live bacteria, damaged DNA, why is this not GM?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....just splits some of the DNA etc.
.... damaged DNA, why is this not GM?

uhmmm okay. scanned the reference article.
the three letter combination of "DNA" is not present.

so to _what_ "DNA" do you refer?

.......why is this not GM?
GM = "genetically modified" ?

genetically damaged, ok
genetically destroyed, ok

generically modified implies not only changing the genetic code, but in a way that it survives.

if I reduce a cucumber to ash, would that not be, in fact, "genetically modified?"

and is ashed cucumber "dangerous?"
Jono

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
.....just splits some of the DNA etc.
.... damaged DNA, why is this not GM?

uhmmm okay. scanned the reference article.
the three letter combination of "DNA" is not present.

so to _what_ "DNA" do you refer?

.......why is this not GM?
GM = "genetically modified" ?

genetically damaged, ok
genetically destroyed, ok

generically modified implies not only changing the genetic code, but in a way that it survives.

if I reduce a cucumber to ash, would that not be, in fact, "genetically modified?"

and is ashed cucumber "dangerous?"

"But this is still not the whole story, says Brooker. High pressure disrupts other cell structures too, including nucleic acids and ribosomes—the organs that manufacture proteins. "The protein synthesising apparatus seems particularly sensitive to pressure," Brooker says. "In E. coli, for example, protein synthesis is totally inhibited at about 70 megapascals."

if you ashed a cucumber, that would be genocide ( Teasing ), or at least a waste. My contention is that with a few bacteria (or other µorganisms and some faulty DNA), a gene modificatin could take place, not ideal??
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. missed that!

I agree we probably don't know as much about how all that there 'gene stuff' works as we should, before we start playing around with it . . .

are these acids not also broken down by heat? i.e. cooking?
Thor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: GM Products Reply with quote

I'm used to seeing GM as genetically modified, such as crops that have been screwed around with to be drought or pest resistant, or to provide larger yields. Jono's GM seems to be more like genetic mutation, like the two headed cow living next to Three Mile Island, or the Toxic Avenger.

Still the concern is a valid one. By achieving the obvious advantage of treating foods for bad juju, is there a byproduct produced that poses an unseen, more serious health risk? Not all meats and produce end up over a heat source. Currently, evil is being spread by tomatos, a fruit that is acceptable raw in some circles. It hasn't been that long since spinach was also gastronomically offensive. I happen to scrub my tomatos, but am totally unwilling to wipe down a few hundred spinach leaves for a salad. So I can see the potential of these sorts of treatments for fresh foods. The question I can't answer is whether it's worth it.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update people on the subject: I saw a show a while back that featured guacamole being "pasteurized" using a process identical to the one in the article. The process was called "Freshrization" (or something equally tacky).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum