Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Krups Spice Grinder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for a coffee grinder to grind spices but I am not able to find Krups grinders in many stores. can someone tell me which stores may have them. also is there any other grinder good enough to use for spice grinder??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Take your modern electric deevices and put them back where they belong, in the trash."

Jacques Pepin and Michel Richard would like to have a word with you. So would James Beard, were he alive today.

You can dice an onion by hand in the time it takes to put the blade into a food processor and there's less to clean up. By the same token, there is no contest with my bread machine's mix mode when I'm making dough (which ferments for three days!) for a pizza party.

Yes, give me a wrench over a Vice-Grip® any day -- right tool for the job -- but stone age does not equal "master technique." Also, THEORY is important.

We could learn about vacuum tubes "just in case" but going forward it's chips ahoy, mate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should only take a wrench over a Vice Grip when attempting to turn bolts; a man who tries to use a wrench to clamp two things together will soon be crying for a Vice Grip Smile

Nice article, I didn't know electric grinders went for so little. I'll keep an eye out for 'em!
Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Mace too! Reply with quote

I think that Mace will also cloud or alter your plastic pieces. The Plastic bag I bought it in was even starting to degrade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: other spice grinders Reply with quote

Hi! I read everyone's comments and advice for the Krups coffee grinder...I think this might be the one I will get, but I don't know for sure yet. Another one I've been looking at is the Kitchenaid grinder that goes for about $30 (Target.com has it). It has the removable stainless steel bowl, so it seems to be a good one to get since I can wash it out in the sink if I wanted/needed to. Has any had any experience with the the KA grinder and if so, what are your thoughts on it compared to the Krups? TIA!

MLE
guest1980

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: other grinders Reply with quote

If you are like me and want ease of use, I would spend a little extra money for the cuisinart grinder I got. It works great and, the best part about it, has a REMOVABLE grinding cup. You just put in whatever you are grinding then, when you are done, pop it out, dump it out, and clean it without any of the hassle. This whole issue with the cloves, other than the lid clouding up is easy for me since I can take out the part the cloves grind in and wash it in the dishwasher or by hand.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since becoming a coffee snob, my coffe 'grinder' chopper thing has been used for seeds & cutting down coarse ground spice and salt exclusively (a real grinder that can contol teh grind size can be had relatively cheaply for better coffee). The cloudy lid is a non issue for me, it's a tool and not art. The smell, though... I have made sure to clean the lid and wipe the insides well with a moist sponge after every use to keep it from contaminating other things. That's worked pretty well so far (been using it for about 3 years as a spice chopper).

I did break the button on my lid once... Luckily they are stocked at my local service center (in Sacramento, CA) and it's only about a 5 minute drive next door to the specialty grocery store I more or less live in.
Gene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Why not go for the second lid? Reply with quote

I'd just go for the second lid. $10 is not a huge sum of money and you can keep the first lid for griding cloves and allspice and use the new, clean lid for your other spices.

I love my old krups grinder. If you can find one of the type 203s that was made in Hong Kong. Those older models are indestructable and much better than the ones made in mexico or china. All that wears is the lid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to bed, bath, and beyond and they will replace your grinder if that store carries it. they have a ridiculously lenient return policy there. i work in the receiving department and we just send all the broken stuff back to the vendors to get the money back for it.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: KitchenAid coffee grinder Reply with quote

I have both a Krups coffee grinder and a Kitchen Aid coffee grinder. In addition I have had a Capresso coffee grinder. The Krups would be my last choice of the 3 because of the shape of the grinding bowl. It is far harder to clean than either of the other 2 and does not grind as well. First choice is Kitchen Aid for the grinding and for the cleanup. The Capresso grinds almost as well and also cleans up easily but does not have the removable bowl. Either is IMNSHO far superior to the Krups and the Capresso is about the same price. The Kitchen Aid is a little more expensive but you get far superior service from Kitchen Aid and it is just a better product.
PoppySeedHick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Krups is krap Reply with quote

Tried using a Krups to grind 1.5 cups of poppy seeds into paste for cooking. Did so in 1 minute bursts to grind followed by 2-3 minutes rest. After 5 rounds of smoke came out of the grinder and it went to the big grinder junkyard in the sky. Back to Bed, Bath, and Beyond you go!

Thanks for the tips -- I think I will replace it with the cuisinart or kitchenaid. Not having a removable bowl for washing is just bad design.
Rocketscientist55

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Reply with quote

I use my grinder for coffee and spices, including hot peppers. To clean I put bread in the grinder and let loose. The bread gets pulverized and cleans up all the oils from the coffee or peppers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove stains, try soaking the surface in lemon juice for a couple hours, then scrub with baking soda.
owen/d

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Krups Grinder Reply with quote

I have one. I use it for spices. It doesn't bother me that the top is opaqued.
TomTrottier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: releasing spice flavour Reply with quote

As well as using a grinder beforehand, you could also just use a blender to mix the spice(s) in to a liquid in the recipe.

tOM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: