Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very complicated pork! Need help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Very complicated pork! Need help! Reply with quote

I am planning to cook two pork roasts in one oven. Both are about 3.5#. One is bone-in and one is boneless. The boneless loin is not rolled. I want to cook one to well done and one to med-rare/medium.
1. Which roast should I plan to cook to well done?
2. How will 2 roasts in the oven affect the cooking time?
3. Is there any special treatment I should consider? (e.g. packing the boneless loin in a salt crust, etc.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two roasts in the oven at the same time will not drastically affect the start to finish cooking time.

the boneless roast will cook more quickly. when you say "not rolled" - if it is boned out and simply "flat" it will cook even more faster.

in your place, I'd "roll up" the boneless one to make it close to the diameter of the bone in one, give the bone in a head start in the oven (3.5 pounds is fairly small, perhaps a 20 minute head start..) then use a thermometer to check the centers for well done / medium.

pull them 5 F' short of the 'final temp' and allow to rest -
yes, that _is_ important!
KFinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Very complicated pork! Need help! Reply with quote

KFinn wrote:
I am planning to cook two pork roasts in one oven. Both are about 3.5#. One is bone-in and one is boneless. The boneless loin is not rolled. I want to cook one to well done and one to med-rare/medium.
1. Which roast should I plan to cook to well done?
2. How will 2 roasts in the oven affect the cooking time?
3. Is there any special treatment I should consider? (e.g. packing the boneless loin in a salt crust, etc.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

What they said, and if I had to choose which one to ruin, it'd be the boneless one. Pull at 160 and let rest, pull the bone-in at 138 and let rest. Set oven to 325 to 350 and cook on bottom rack of oven until those temps have been reached. Use a low sided roasting pan with a trivet or rack underneath. This will allow the heat to move in and around the roasts, this is a good thing. If you rub the roasts with Kosher salt an hour or a day ahead, this will absolutely give you a very nice roast indeed. You don't want a crust of salt for this one, just enough to feel rough on your hands as you rub it in. Yeah, don't worry about the extra roast in the oven too much, just keep an eye on the internal temp, it's all about the internal temp. Since you're doing 2 roasts, you can make 2 different kinds of pan sauces/gravy and/or a gastrique of some ilk.

An added bonus would be to make streaky bacon rosettes for the top of the roasts. It'll moisten the exterior of the meat, aid in browning and make your sauces even better. Plus they make a nice appetizer!

You can also take an entire head of garlic, chop off a tad on the top to expose the cloves, drizzle with extra virgin and roast along with the pork. You can either add some of that to the sauces, add to mashed taters or save for another use another day. I've stopped putting vegetables in the pan due to the amount of moisture they release. The meat won't brown as well, not a fan anymore.

Cheers
KFinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome info - I really appreciate it! Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum