Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

size or shape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: size or shape Reply with quote

Hi,

Can some one help me with this? I have a receipe that calls for a 8"x2" deep casserole dish, could some one tell me are they talking about a round dish ,perhaps a 1 1/2 quart, or are they saying use a 8x8 x2 square? Never seen directions like this, I am assuming its a round?

Thanks ahead of time,

Bohh
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>never seen...

oh, it can get quite vague....

first, there are no rules. there are no steadfast conventions.
unless specified it's pretty much a guess.

with no second plane dimension, I'd lean toward the round.
since pie are squared, and thinking it's sorta' two inches deep, that'd be 'bout 100 cubic inches of schufft.

a gallon is 231 cubic inches; a quart 57.75 so a 1.5 qt casserole is roughly 90 cubic inches. a 8x8x2 is more like two qt.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a round vessel will cook more evenly than one with corners. Corners will tend to get more well done than the rest of the dish.

You could likely use either the square or round as long as the heating is done slowly enough to penetrate the casserole evenly. In general, I prefer round or oblong casseroles to square or rectangular ones.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Well, a round vessel will cook more evenly than one with corners. Corners will tend to get more well done than the rest of the dish.

You could likely use either the square or round as long as the heating is done slowly enough to penetrate the casserole evenly. In general, I prefer round or oblong casseroles to square or rectangular ones.

I also agree with you. By this round or oblong type of a pan, the heat are evenly spread towards each side unlike the edgy one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum