Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Knife Sharpening (Australia)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoiks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Mac Knife Sharpening (Australia) Reply with quote

I am going to be buying a Mac Knife but want to buy a steel or some form of system to keep the knife sharp.

It seems people are against the steels that have anything but a mirror finish but I can only find ones in Australia that have some sort of finish to sharpen the knife.

eg: http://www.everten.com.au/product/wusthof-honing-steel-23cm.html
Thats prob the best I have found thats not going to cost more then the knife.

Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably from australian sites such as

www.everten.com.au
www.petersofkensington.com.au/
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing if MAC offers them, then they must think they are okay:
http://www.macknife.com/sharpeners.html
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>It seems people are against the steels that have anything but a mirror finish

I've seen those opinions - but it has to be kept in context. some fans of Japanese style knives like theirs sharpened and polished to a razor blade edge. a grooved or pebbled steel may well disturb that level of edge.

personally I don't have the time or energy to maintain that level of shaving sharp - I settle for "just dang sharp" -

I finish my Wuesthof on a fine stone and have been using the Wuesthof grooved steel for 25 yrs on my set with no bad effects - my experience does not support the theory that a grooved steel will ruin your knives.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
>>It seems people are against the steels that have anything but a mirror finish

I've seen those opinions - but it has to be kept in context. some fans of Japanese style knives like theirs sharpened and polished to a razor blade edge. a grooved or pebbled steel may well disturb that level of edge.

personally I don't have the time or energy to maintain that level of shaving sharp - I settle for "just dang sharp" -

I finish my Wuesthof on a fine stone and have been using the Wuesthof grooved steel for 25 yrs on my set with no bad effects - my experience does not support the theory that a grooved steel will ruin your knives.

I use a Henckels grooved steel on my MACs and have not noticed any ill-effects. I don't bother to maintain a mirror polish on the knives (stop at 1000 grit and don't go onto my 8000 grit whetstones). I don't know how my steel would treat a mirror finished blade.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>stop at 1000

indeed. were I a professional sushi chef charged with producing 0.05 mm slices of <stuff> I can appreciate the shaving sharp state is a necessity to the task.

for the average kitchen, it's a way bit over the top imho.
Zoiks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up ordering a tojiro DP because I could get one for about 40% less. Never the less I will be looking at macs in the future so its good to know the wustoff honing steel i bought will be suitable for both

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum