Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Saber Kitchen Knives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Menefee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Saber Bags Reply with quote

Hi all, yes, the bags will be for sale very shortly. They will be offered on Amazon.com and at Costco.com very soon.

I'm betting Amazon first as we are already set up with them...and Costco within a few weeks as there is a lot of paperwork to be concluded prior to it being available.

Retail on this bag should be about $50 to $60 dollars.

I built this bag after looking at all of the others on the market that were selling for between $75 and $100 dollars.

I am certain you will all love it.

Thanks,

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of material is the handle made of?

It looks like either wood (which is banned in 38 states because it absorbs moisture and encourages bacteria growth) or a cheap plastic (which is dangerously slippery when wet).
auramae

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Using the set for a couple of weeks Reply with quote

I picked up the set with bag after reading this and emailing the company. It is very nice to have a full set. Before this I had an 8" MAC chef's knife (on recommendation of this site) and a good paring knife from the restaurant supply. The rest of my collection was a mid-priced set that I had received as a wedding gift. I have given my old knives (except for the MAC) to my daughter who has just moved into her first apartment.

The 8" & 10" chef's knives are heavy, but well balanced. I am an average American female and I don't find them unwieldy or awkward to use.

I like that there are two sizes of paring knives.

The slicer is a dream, but my big love of the set is the bread knife. It is a rock star.

As some people have said, the other knives are used less frequently, but it is nice to know they are there. I don't use a French Boning knife much, but maybe I will now that I have it!

What I have really enjoyed is having a number of "good" knives for when I have friends & family "helping" in the kitchen. I can send them off to slice & dice with one knife while I am using another.

The case is great. I keep mine in a block I already had for home use, and I am auditioning for the Food Network, so I hope to have need for a travel case soon. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Block design Reply with quote

After Shopping around for a 5 piece Shun knife set for $300, the 11 pc Saber look very tempting.

Anyhow, I was wondering about the wood block design. My current cheap knife block has vertical slits (angled for easy withdrawal) but the knives cut the block taking the knife in and out. The wood is cut worst on the slits for my steak knives because the blade is jagged.

The Saber knife block has great ideas but it has the same flaw that my knife block has. I know that Rachel Ray's furi set and Shun rotated the slits 90 degrees to accommodate withdrawal. This is one thing that would prevent me from buying a set like this. If my girlfriend or friends mishandle came over and mishandled my knifes just a few times, not only will the blades dull faster, but the block will be cut up.

Also, it doesn't mention anywhere if the blade resembled Global/Shun 15-16 degrees angle or the 20 degree German angle. I'm guessing 20 degrees since its more comparable to German Knifes.

I wish i had a use for the knife bag, but i don't. It sure looks like the bag to get.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Block design Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anyhow, I was wondering about the wood block design. My current cheap knife block has vertical slits (angled for easy withdrawal) but the knives cut the block taking the knife in and out. The wood is cut worst on the slits for my steak knives because the blade is jagged.

The Saber knife block has great ideas but it has the same flaw that my knife block has.

Not sure I understand the problem. Vertical knife slots in a "traditional" block are an issue because gravity holds the sharp edge of the knife against the wood as you pull the knife. A straight up system like Saber has or horizontal system like many contemporary blocks have do not have this problem since gravity isn't pulling the knife blade into the wood...
RobertSeviour

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Bah - The Pretentious Consumer Lifestyle Reply with quote

Get a grip folks. You are nuts to pay hundreds of dollars for such things. The four billion poor people on this planet know that any knife that isn't blunt is good enough. I've managed perfectly well for years with a dollar store bread knife and my Swiss Army knife.
BigWayne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Block design Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

The Saber knife block has great ideas but it has the same flaw that my knife block has.

Not sure I understand the problem. Vertical knife slots in a "traditional" block are an issue because gravity holds the sharp edge of the knife against the wood as you pull the knife. A straight up system like Saber has or horizontal system like many contemporary blocks have do not have this problem since gravity isn't pulling the knife blade into the wood...

On traditional blocks, the problem can be solved quite easily by putting the knives in with the edge pointed up. Simple engineering solution I figured out long ago from observing the cuts in the wood.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Block design Reply with quote

BigWayne wrote:
On traditional blocks, the problem can be solved quite easily by putting the knives in with the edge pointed up. Simple engineering solution I figured out long ago from observing the cuts in the wood.

That does work for many households, but I could never recommend it - the balance of some blades cause them to be able to slide backwards and out of the block if the block is jostled or accidentally struck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: block design Reply with quote

Quote:
A straight up system like Saber has or horizontal system like many contemporary blocks have do not have this problem since gravity isn't pulling the knife blade into the wood...

Can you explain this? Based on the picture above, the knives are lowered vertically, not horizontally into a block on a lazy Susan. The only thing stopping the knife from falling through the block is the width of the blade that is pitched on the back of the blade and the SHARP edge. After taking the knife in and out enough times you will be cutting the block and hence dulling the blade. Yes?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: block design Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Michael Chu wrote:
A straight up system like Saber has or horizontal system like many contemporary blocks have do not have this problem since gravity isn't pulling the knife blade into the wood...

Can you explain this? Based on the picture above, the knives are lowered vertically, not horizontally into a block on a lazy Susan. The only thing stopping the knife from falling through the block is the width of the blade that is pitched on the back of the blade and the SHARP edge. After taking the knife in and out enough times you will be cutting the block and hence dulling the blade. Yes?

The knives are held up by their finger guards - all the slots are wider than the blade from spine to cutting edge, so no part of the edge should touch. Each slot is not so deep as to allow the blade to drop in past the finger guard and for the santoku (which does not have a guard) the bolster rests on the edge of the slot.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added some more info to the bottom of the article:
1. Mr. Menefee has offered to send anyone who emails and asks for a paring knife a free 3.5-in paring knife so they can try out the knife for themselves.
2. Costco.com now sells the professional knife bag for $55.

Scroll up to the bottom of the article to see the details.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paring knives are no longer available for free by emailing Saber Knives.
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: saberknives OUTSTANDING Reply with quote

The knife arrived arrived yesterday Thursday 12/17, after requesting it last Friday 12/11. Wow, that is fast. Lucky for me, got one of the last free ones

OUTSTANDING KNIFE !

My only wish is a la carte offering. $100 is the price point for treating myself THIS YEAR.

If they can sell this way,
I would buy either one of the following 3 piece sets

$75 for 5",6",7" boning,utility, santoku
$85 - 6,7,8 utility, santoku, chef
$95 - 6,7,10 utility, santoku, chef

and I told them so, got my fingers crossed...
Kathy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Where can I purchase these knives?!?!? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where I can find these knives? Amazon in out of stock! Thank you!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, this will make things easier for people who want to order Saber Knives. They just started an online store so you can direct order from them and given the number of people that have asked for the ability to buy one knife at a time, they are offering individual knives for sale at $7 per inch.

Saber Knives Store
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: