Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kapoosh Knife Block (not recommended)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh knife block Reply with quote

I have had this knife block for years and love it. I probably keep about a dozen knives in it. With that many knives, they don't go down all the way, but that doesn't matter - I just need a place to hold them where they won't get dull, and where they all fit. I'm only going to grab the handle to pull it out anyway, so if the blade isn't fully in the block it's irrelevant. This knife block does that job well, much better than the wooden knife blocks with a fixed number of slots (not enough) and specific sizes (never the ones I need).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: cats and knives Reply with quote

I have a Kapoosh also and am happy with it. However I wanted to make a comment about magnetic knife holders. I am a Veterinarian and have had to suture at least one cat who somehow managed to knock owners knives from the holder and make a rather large wound on his side. We surgically repaired and he is fine. I so use a magnetic holder for non-sharp items, but my Kapoosh holds my mismatched and favorite really sharp items.
Yes, I know...what was the cat doing on the counter. They do stuff they are not supposed to when you aren't looking or not there, just like children
momof3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: also hate kapoosh Reply with quote

i also have a kapoosh and had the same problem. i can only fit about 3 knives in it. after that, it is so tight that they stick out halfway. i bought it many years ago, so maybe they have revised the design. it is a genius idea, however, our knives (8 inches max) would not go all the way down. they look just like the photo above. about 1/4 of an inch sticking out, so when you place another knife in it you run the risk of cutting yourself. also, black flecks of plastic everywhere. then finally, after about a few months of use, the wooden casing split at the corner. we even tried taking the insert out and removing some of the black plastic inserts, using wood glue and nailing it back. no luck. when we tried to put the black insert back in, the other two corners split!

great idea, but needs some tweaking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: cry baby Reply with quote

I have two kapoosh knife blocks, one for each house. I'm an engineer (PE) and I love them. Where else can you find another knife block that is flexible to accept multiple different-sized knives as your arsenal of cutlery evolves and expands. I agree it's not perfect, but for the cheap price of the kapoosh, there is nothing better. "My 8-in. knives stick up out of the kapoosh 0.25 in." Don't be such a cry baby! They still fit fine and don't fall out. Also, if you don't like your knives touching the black plastic, remove the plastic insert and fill the void with rice or dried beans. Problem solved.
Iris G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh knife block Reply with quote

I've had a Kapoosh for about two years. I got the metal-cased, two-level unit, which nicely houses long and short knives separately. Initially worked great, but after a while some of the rods started bending, and now it is difficult to get knives into it unless I find a "virgin" spot. I loved it at first, because I could fit my motley knives all into it, but now it is not practical.
Pwyll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh broke down after 6 months Reply with quote

I'll keep it short and sweet. We got a large version of the Kapoosh knife block and had high hopes -- an initial sense of optimism. We did encounter plastic bits, but weren't stressing about it. But then we started having more trouble getting knives into position. There was increasingly more resistance to getting the knives in. Thinking that plastic was being sliced off and remaining in the block to clog up the works rather than coming out (as some had), I disassembled the block. What I found is that many plastic strands were bent over inside, physically tying up the core.

Side effects aside, a knife block that i can't get knives into is an unmitigated failure.
chipo madzikwah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: amazing idea OF A KNIFE BLOCK Reply with quote

Smile THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA I AM INTO DESIGNING MY KNIFE BLOCK FOR MY ENGINEERING PROJECT AND I WOULD LIKE SOME IDEAS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPTIONS IN DESIGNING I AM OPEN TO IDEAS AND I WILL ALSO COMMENT.
THANK YOU
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: amazing idea OF A KNIFE BLOCK Reply with quote

chipo madzikwah wrote:
Smile THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA I AM INTO DESIGNING MY KNIFE BLOCK FOR MY ENGINEERING PROJECT AND I WOULD LIKE SOME IDEAS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPTIONS IN DESIGNING I AM OPEN TO IDEAS AND I WILL ALSO COMMENT.
THANK YOU

Bucket of sand.
Carole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh...RECOMMENDED! Reply with quote

I have had mine for about 9 years. I love it...more than my husband does, but sine it is I who uses the knives most often, I have the final say. Yes, we both have been frustrated when the knives don't go in as far as they once did and sometimes fall out. We have combed and thinned the rods twice in 9 years...and probably will again, in another few years. I don't have a spot in my kitchen for a knife magnet so this is a great alternative. We have had no trouble flecks or pieces. I say...get one...enjoy it...care for it as needed...washing and thinning...and enjoy it again...repeat as necessary.
j west

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: kapoosh knife block Reply with quote

I have found that cutting them out isn't the best solution, unless you cut them at the very base of the unit, and if yours looked like mine, there was at least 50 or so rods that were a twisted mess, and trying to get into the bottom and figure out which one is the problematic one, then finding something strong enough to cut it out (after an hour and at least cutting 50 times, your hands get very tired) ..those tend to scrunch up even more, and then you really cannot get the knives to stay put. I finally took the whole thing apart--which was a difficult chore in and of itself, and grabbed a pair of long curved needle nose pliers and started pulling out the ones that were really irreparable-twisted around one another, squished up at the bottom like a wire twist tie, etc...just yanked them out like a bad splinter and with a little tugging, they came loose. it also allowed me to "straighten" for lack of a better word, some of the rods that were salvagable and had just been caught and bent a little bit from the others that twisted around them. It took a while, a full sunday afternoon, but it was back to 95% by the time I got it all put together...and the knives went in easier, as their weren't as many rods to have scrunch up. HOWEVER, I have had to do this twice in 4 years of ownership. I have also found that you should absolutely never ever EVER place a serrated knife in there, as this is the primary cause of the rods twisting up-the serrated blades catch on the rods and as you push the knife down, it drags the rods down with them.
Now, as far as steak knives, that have a short serration, I have learned to put them in upside down at an angle ( Start upside down at a slight angle, push the knife in slowly downward and pull toward you as it goes in, like slicing a piece of cake) so the serration doesn't catch on the rods. When you remove them for use, pull out as if you are avoiding having the serration catch on the rods. You are unable to obtain a replacement block from Kapoosh...which is not a good selling point for Kapoosh. I purchased the stainless steel model,with it tilted at an angle and two separate slots for short and longer knives...and both have issues. This at the time was the most expensive one, and its very frustrating that their customer service level accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY and simply says "oh well. try taking it back to the store you got it at and see if they will accept a damaged used return, a year later". I had considered going to bamboo rods myself but for the time being, I store short knives in there, thus avoiding an accidental cut, which has happened on more than one occasion, and bought a small wood block for my other longer knives to just avoid the problem. I bought this when it first came out and was REALLY pricey...had I been able to see a review or two, I never would have wasted my money. NOT WORTH THE TIME, EFFORT, OR THE PRICE. DON'T WAST YOUR $$. Buy two wood blocks instead, or a magnetic strip
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to read the above without paragraph breaks was vexing, to say the least, but it gave me an idea.

I've always avoided magnetic strip holders because many of my knives are carbon steel and I don't want risk the rust between magnet and knife.

BUT -- What if I stapled a terrycloth towel over the magnetic strip and then used it?

I currently dry them immediately after use and put them in a drawer where I know even the residual water will evaporate.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the pix - many magnetic racks have two 'rails' - i.e. not a 'full surface contact' with the knife.

methinks unlikely rust would form under a thin rail - probably dry pretty quick.

I'm a blockhead . . .
USMCDrakes

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Kapoosh Reply with quote

I'm just curious about how the plastic rods treat your knife blades. They don't dull the blades at all?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note: I do not own this gadget

plastics generally do not damage knives - the most significant exception is ultra-thin edged high cost Japanese knives used on softer plastics. inadvertent twisting-while-cutting can result in chipping the blade.

you'll see comments about fine slivers of plastic accumulating - having been shaved off the rods by a sharp knife.

the concept is sound - there a a few catches tho. that it does not accommodate (some) 8 inch knives can be limiting.

the 'rods all bent up & tangled' is more serious - especially as early on the manufacturer did not offer replacement rods. no clue if that is still true.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the oval, angled two-compartment (large knives, steak knives) Rondelle in silver. I can get the smaller compartment's rods out but the larger compartment's rods won't come out. I have tugged at the rods, tried to pry apart the collar, etc., and they won't budge.

The reason for washing: we live close to a main traffic feeder street, in an area very close to farms and cottonwood trees (in Colorado). The rods get dusty and dirty, and even though we don't keep the block near the stove, the "grease" from combustion engines gets on the rods and attracts dust and dirt. Yes, we put our knives in clean and dry. It's the environment. I wish people would ask, rather than condemn....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: