Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kapoosh Knife Block (not recommended)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
another guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: knife holder works for me Reply with quote

I've had my Kapoosh for probably 5 years or more & it has worked great. I don't have expensive knives. I have mismatched sets that no normal knife block would accommodate for all of them & I don't have adequate drawer space & wasn't comfortable with a magnetic knife holder at the time. The Kapoosh holds lots of knives for me & I've never had any black plastic flecks on the knives. I am surprised by the people who have had these problems. Maybe your specific Kapoosh had a couple too many plastic rods or maybe your knives are made differently than mine. I've taken the plastic rods out with no problem, so maybe there's a few duds. I definitely recommend the product. I've given it as a gift. If you have a dud I'd exchange it & make sure it wasn't the specific unit you got. The only problem I've had is that I wish the space between my counter & upper cabinet was taller because when pulling a large knife out I have to scoot the Kapoosh out from under the cabinet to make room to get the knife out, but that's probably the result of our cabinet installer hanging the upper cabinets too low!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: knife holder works for me Reply with quote

another guest wrote:
The Kapoosh holds lots of knives for me & I've never had any black plastic flecks on the knives. I am surprised by the people who have had these problems. Maybe your specific Kapoosh had a couple too many plastic rods or maybe your knives are made differently than mine.

I just returned a second Kapoosh. I should be clear about the black plastic flecks - they were not there before I inserted the knife. First knife was okay, but putting the second knife in there (it was already quite tightly compacted) shaved off plastic from the rods. Every subsequent blade removal and insertion shaves off additional plastic from the rods.
Sin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kapoosh just exploded. I was trying to stuff a bread knife in there and the whole wood block snapped on two sides. my Kapoosh is kaput. I do not recommend.
Mrs C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Cleaning Kapoosh Reply with quote

I just purchased a Kapoosh but how do you clean it in the dishwasher?

I removed both the upper & lower set of rods but they are very dense clumps. Will the water & detergent really get deep inside to clean?
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh is Great Reply with quote

I've never heard so much whining about a product that solves the storage of knives! Black flakes on the blade? No airflow? What? I've been using mine for a couple three years and it is great. I always put the knives away dry and if you angle them in there is no exposed blade (or a minimal amount ). I also have my 5 inch cleaver in there as well!

Just wish I could find a replacement filler should this one wear out.
Lolo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Kapoosh Knife Block or 900 Skewers Knife Block ? Reply with quote

As it was suggested earlier you can also use skewers instead of the plastik rods. they are easy to replace once they get dirty. There is a German designed model named 900 skewers from side by side. They use beech skewers. Seen at: http://www.thedesigngiftshop.com/products/SIDE-BY-SIDE-%7C-Knife-block-%7C-900-SKEWERS.html
The later definately looks better!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on knife blocks altogether. I picked up a magnetized strip from IKEA, that holds all 10 of my kitchen knives, from chefs knives to paring knives. Blades don't touch, it's clean, and it takes no counter space since it's mounted on the wall.
rozencrantz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh Knife Block Reply with quote

My Kapoosh knife-block fell apart this morning. (The smaller block seperated from the large one). Although I thought it was a great idea at the time of purchase, it tended to fall over with the weight of knives.
Bob W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh Replacement Block? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get a replacement plastic block for a model 650? I have had this knife block for more than 5 years and have had many of the plastic rods bend over restricting use in that area of the block. I have trimmed (pulled) out most of the defective rods, but think a replacement part is in order to restore the whole storage area. I post this question because I can not locate any of my original paperwork.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their web site:

http://www.kapoosh.com/kapooshhome.html

has a contact phone
Bob W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh Factory Contact Reply with quote

As a followup to my post yesterday, I contacted the Kapoosh factory service rep (Taylor at 800.821.7849) and asked about obtaining a new plastic rod block for my Kapoosh 650. She informed me that there is NO replacement available from them (ARY, Inc. is the OEM). She went on to describe how to trim (pull) out the bent rods and told me this is the only fix short of buying a new block. So, if you think you will be able to get a replacement plastic rod block from the factory, rethink that, you really can't -- there is NO factory support. I'm not sure why she is the Kapoosh rep in that case. In any event, I will be looking into a magnetic strip in the future. From the comments here they seem to be the "old standby".
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere in this thread (I think) there was the suggestion of using wooden skewers - might need replacing more often but they are pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh Universal Knife Holder Reply with quote

Not recommended? I beg to differ. So one-quarter inch of blade on an 8-inch knife is exposed? Oh how dangerous! Look before you grab ANY knife held by whatever type of holder. No airflow because the bottom is solid? There's hardly any airflow with a solid wood block either. Bits of plastic on the blade when removed require a quick rinse? I always rinse any knife blade before using however it has been stored. A very nit-picky review leads to a "not recommended"? Hardly!
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Block Broken Reply with quote

We've had our block for a few years and have really jammed in the knives. Finally the sides came apart. Since the guts are fine, I like the suggestion of finding a new container for holding them. Hope we can find one! This is the only thing that worked for all the knives we had.
John R (Burlington NC)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Kapoosh Reply with quote

I bought two of the replacement side caddys and filled them with popcorn (unpopped). It works great to hold the small to medium knives. And takes up very little space on the counter or island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: