Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kapoosh Knife Block (not recommended)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: easy fix for knife block - use wooden skewers Reply with quote

Micheal,

I made a knife rack that is similar to the Kapoosh Knife Block, but I think works much better. The secret - use skewers instead of the plastic insert. Just go buy a lot of skewers (you can measure to find the right size) and use them in place of the plastic insert. The skewers will not be held together at the bottom and will let the knives go in a little deeper, plus the wood doesn't leave a residue on the knives.

-Eric S.

Washington DC
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>wooden skewers

oh - deviously inventive!

easy to find,
inexpensive,
easy to replace...

sounds like a plan!
maria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh knife block alternative Reply with quote

Hi!

What about this kind of a knifeblock:

http://www.evasolo.com/products-knifestand.html

I've seen it in a local store, but can't remember what the width of it is (at least more than 5 cm, I think). The material of the insert is plastic in this case also, but not that easily cut off. Plus, if I remember correctly, the insert was in parts, so it was adjustable.

maria
Washbush

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Knife Block Reply with quote

Hey! Wait a minute ...

I think that you didn't stick with that wonderful knife block long enough! I have had mine for at least three years, maybe four. I love it! I agree that the little rods can get tight when you stuff a lot of knives in there, but, at the moment I have 10 individual knives plus a hone stuck in mine and there is room for more. As for cleaning, I haven't felt the need to clean mine yet. But, thanks for the reminder, I will have a look and see if it needs cleaning.

Folks, I say give it a try. I think you will like it.

Chef John of Indiana
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of all the positive comments, I'm willing to give the Kapoosh another try. How did you solve the problem of blades not going in all the way?
RIguest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Kapoosh works good for me and my friend Reply with quote

I also have had good luck over the past two years with my kapoosh. I washed it before I used it, which was even mentioned to me by the person who sold it to me. I thought that it might not dry either, but my wife was more afraid of exposed knife magnets and our kids. Suprisingly, it did dry out after one day everywhere I could tell. We have never noticed any black particles and we can fit all our knives in it. The large chef knife does stick out a little bit just like the picture, which is the biggest dissapointment. We use the other knives to surround it and it has been good so far. I mentioned to a friend this year and he bought one as well. He hasn't mentioned any problems over the past several months.
josie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: bamboo skewers work great Reply with quote

Like a previous poster mentioned, I would replace your plastic rods with bamboo skewers. I have a bamboo utensil holder that I filled with bamboo skewers, and it works great.
martha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: kapoosh knife block Reply with quote

I bought my block and promptly filled it up and bought a second with the intention of placing the rest of the knives in it but, I also knit. Yep, I filled it up with knitting needles. It is the perfect instrument for putting needles into a "cataloging" system.
benton1220

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: kapoosh knife block Reply with quote

I love it! Have several different types of knifes and they all fit, also scissors. I always put the knifes away clean and dry. Never had a problem with it in the 3 years I have had it.
Mark from TX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: re: knife block Reply with quote

This plastic filled knife block sounds like a bad idea to me. I am surprised you bought one... I guess everyone has different ideas about how to solve problems.

I am leaning towards getting a magnetic knife rack, after seeing them in use on various cooking shows - handy, safe, dry, and non-dulling as long as the blade is handled correctly (the sharp side of the blade must be the last side down and first side lifted off, or damage is possible). While blocks are handy and nice looking, and may be slightly better as far as keeping dust off the blades, my own problem is that I also use a selection of knifes that didn't come in a set with a matching block, and thought I could probably build a customized block without too much trouble, like I said I am leaning towards a magnetic strip.

However, if I DID want a block to fit the knives I use, and likewise I would recommend you to consider this option:

Find someone in your area who enjoys wood-working as a hobby (net forum, the bulletin board at your local starbucks, etc) and offer to barter a custom-catered family dinner for a custom-built knife block - then you could exercise you hobby/talent in exchange for someone else with the appropriate skill, and avoid paying $100/hr for a professional. And once such a relationship is established, in the future you might be able to obtain neat stuff like custom cutting boards, cheap or even free cedar planks cut to size for baking fish, etc..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Kapoosh Reply with quote

The only problem I had with the holder was the wood casing separated along the right side. Never had the flecking problem. And I fail to see how ``air flow'' makes any difference to a knife. I have about 9 or 10 knives in the holder. It seems ludicrous to stop at only two or three knives. They don't need to be jammed in all the way.
mary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Kapoosh Knife Block Reply with quote

I LOVE my Kapoosh! Yes, you have to modify the plastic rods to solve problem of fitting a full load in. I did--it's simple. I cut a few rows from the outside perimeter right at the base, using sturdy kitchen scissors. Guess what, it worked like a charm, and now my Kapoosh is packed as full as the handles of the knives will allow. As for cleaning, I occasionally remove the rod unit, turn it upside down, and shake and brush the tops of the rods. I have washed it once in the 3 or 4 yrs I've had it, but usually the above procedure combined with rinsing the upper part w/ 5% dilute bleach solution while upside down is fine. That way the whole thing need not get wet if you're in a hurry, and it dries quickly. The bottom doesn't get dirty anyway, putting clean knives in! I like it so much I have given 2 as gifts. (And I'm pretty picky about quality) Nuff said..Works 4 me! Mary Wink
etcwarrionr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bamboo Skewers Reply with quote

As another poster commented, you can duplicate this system on the cheap with Bamboo skewers. For my setup, I bought a three-bottle wine carrier from World Market. It is made of solid wood, with metal hardware and has been stained and distressed to give it a rustic look that goes well in my kitchen. The top is hinged and I use it to prop up the carrier at a convenient angle. If you look for one that got a little too banged up on the sale rack you can often find one (as I did) for up to 70% off.

For the skewers, you can find them sold in bulk online for very cheap. If you're using the wine carrier, you will probably need to go with 12" skewers, but measure first to be certain.

One of the reported problems with this plastic model were familiar to me with the skewers as well. However, rather than black plastic bits, I occasionally get short Bamboo threads. Also, when you pull a knife out, a skewer or two might partially come out with it. They can be a little prickly when you push them back in. I've not considered cleaning, but I would strongly suggest that you not attempt to put the skewers in your dishwasher. Still, my knives are clean before I store them and in three years I've not yet had problems with dust.

One advantage of the skewers is that you can pull a few out if they're packed too tightly to fit more knives.
Karmen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: I don't like this product either Reply with quote

I ran out of room in my knife set block and needed more room for myother knives. I bought the kapoosh thinking I could put unlimited knives -wrong. Same thing as other people, I could only fit 1 knife in all the way. All of my santoku, carving and chef knives are sticking out about 2-3 inches. Not very safe if you're rushing to grab a knife. I think the product display was for inserting 50 plastic knives...
romanji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problem of my Kapoosh knife. I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: