Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Aid vs Cuisinart stand mixers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Kitchen Aid vs Cuisinart stand mixers Reply with quote

I know the classic king of mixers is the kitchen aid, but I just can't figure out why the power of the two manufacturers is so different.

The Cuisinarts are from 800-1000W and the Kitchen Aids are from 225-350W. I think the power would make a difference. I have never owned one though.

Can anyone offer any advice as I was looking to get one in the near future. Thanks.

Tony
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically the power is related to the size/capacity of the bowl.

note also that not every mechanical design is exactly equal in the efficiency department, so 1000 watts of one design may not produce exactly the same amount of "power at the mixer shaft" as another.

after many mixers (sigh) my advice - get the biggest one. I personally have found the KA type with the lift bowl to be very satisfactory for 'home' heavy duty use - breads, etc.

pretty much any of them will do whip cream or beat egg whites - but if you're into making multiple loaf bread recipes, you'll need all the power you can buy.
Stupid-Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had both mixers. I started with the Kitchen-Aid.

I like to grind my own hamburger meat using the meat grinder attachment. I purchase a Chuck Meat, cube it into 1" cubes, and then grind it in the mixer.

I started with the ~525 watt Kitchen-Aid. All went well for the first few grindings. Somewhere around the 15th episode, I heard a VERY loud noise that told me that one of the gears had jumped a tooth. The mixer still worked, and I was able to finish my grind of ~5 pounds of meat. But, during the episode, I heard this noise many times, which told me that not only had a gear jumped a tooth, but probably lost a tooth as well. So, this mixer became a light duty mixer, religated to making Toll-House Cookies.

Wanting to return to grinding HB meat again, (it really IS superior, and YOU control the hygine, not the meat packer!) I stumbled onto the Cuisinart, 1000 watts. The Cuisinart had a nice warranty too, I think around 3 years, unconditional. Somewhere in the literature I read that it had METAL and not Plastic gears in it's gear housing.

Bought it. Bought the grinder attachment (much more that the KA grinder attachment in cost). Started making HB meat again. This Cusinart stand mixer simply LAUGHS at everything I throw at it: Grinds meat quickly, mixes big bread dough batchs quickly, and not too bad at the Toll-House Cookies too. (If you do your mes en place for the cookies, you can have dough ready for the oven IN 5 MINUTES!)

Get the Cusinart...you'll never look back!

Stupid-Boy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum