Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cast iron & where it's made

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: cast iron & where it's made Reply with quote

should i be concerned about, or just avoid, cast iron cookware made in china? india? pakastan?

has anyone ever tested cast iron cookware from those countries for unsafe levels of heavy metals (including radioactive ones)?

or am i just being paranoid?
Cornelius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, regarding the radioactivity thing, I think you are probably just being paranoid. Smile

You don't say where you are in your profile, but if you are in the US, I would say that there is really no reason not to buy Lodge cookware, which is American made, and not all that expensive.

I am sure other countries are fully capable of producing good cast-iron cookware, but I have encountered some that had uneven bottoms.

Lodge has very good quality control, and this, in my experience, is never an issue with their products.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in the US, Lodge is the best and the best deal. Just bought a 12" skillet for less than 20 bucks at Walmart. With just a little care, your grandchildren will be using it. Cooks just about anything on stovetop or in oven.
RandsburgJohn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Cast Iron Cookware & where its made Reply with quote

I think that you will find that Lodge is the best, and as someone said, its made in the US.

Others will probably confirm this for you but the metalurgy of Lodge cookware makes foods taste better. In addition to quite a bit of Lodge cookware I also have some pices made in Taiwan or China. I have suffered no ill effects from any of these, but meat cooked in my Lodge skillets or Dutch ovens tastes better. Shoot, this seems to be true even for frying eggs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum