Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramen Noodles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catonic01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Ramen Noodles Reply with quote

I feel compelled to share this because I think it's something of an elegant hack. My microwave oven is my most valuable appliance, outside of the fridge. Because of this, I have a strong emphasis on foods that can be reliably reheated or prepared using the microwave oven.

My most common use of the oven in the morning is boiling water. I've discovered that exactly six minutes gives me little over three cups of boiling water. Three cups of boiling water is needed to make ramen noodles. Previously, I would prepare the noodles in the four-cup Pyrex measuring cup, taking it out of service for a day or more waiting for the next dishwashing cycle to be completed. This situation was unacceptable.

I discovered quite by accident that the packet of noodles just fit inside a large bowl. This allowed me to pour boiling (or superheated) water over the noodles and cook them in the bowl itself. I further observed that when doing this, I could place the contents of the flavoring packet on top of the noodles and in the noodle block. The salt and noodles would cause any water above boiling temperature to flash boil, but the heat from the water reconstitutes the noodles appropriately. Additionally, the three cups of water would turn the bullion powder into something of a soup, which I assume is the original intended design of the packagers. Set the timer for three minutes, hold the noodles under the water with a fork by hand and when the timer goes off, voila! instant noodles.

I do this on a paper towl for further heat isolation from the countertop. The net result is that I get to reuse my measuring cup every time I want hot water. And since it's only exposed to hot or fresh water, it pretty well stays clean since it's sterilized on a daily basis.
galletita

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Sesame candy Reply with quote

Similar to Peanut Brittle but I'm not sure how to make it. Can you help?
Kawartha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ramen Noodles Reply with quote

Catonic01 wrote:

I discovered quite by accident that the packet of noodles just fit inside a large bowl. This allowed me to pour boiling (or superheated) water over the noodles and cook them in the bowl itself. I further observed that when doing this, I could place the contents of the flavoring packet on top of the noodles and in the noodle block. The salt and noodles would cause any water above boiling temperature to flash boil, but the heat from the water reconstitutes the noodles appropriately. Additionally, the three cups of water would turn the bullion powder into something of a soup,
I too cook Ramen (Mr. Noodle) the same way... my son would be lost if he couldn't have Mr. Noodle for lunch Smile He adds a dolop of oyster flavored sauce, and a tblspoon or so of sweet chili sauce... Sometimes after he adds the boiling water to the noodle bowl, cracks and egg on top and cover with an inverted saucer plate.... and he just turned 12!

Kawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum