Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Roasted Asparagus Spears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmoopy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Try this... Reply with quote

The recipe as stated in the article but add 3 tbsp of sugar as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're actually not supposed to do that thing where you break it and it just breaks at its weakest point. Its "eakest point" will just end up beign wherever your fingers decide it to be. It's better to just cut off 1.5-2in from the bottom for all of them.
clou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: roasted asparagus recipe Reply with quote

I made this for my mother-in-law and she liked it! and ya know how hard it is to please your MIL! thanks so much! Smile
skmccaslin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: another shortcut Reply with quote

I love roasted asparagus - I use the Pam Olive Oil spray and it works GREAT!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew you could do so much with asparagus.
candace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to add a bit of balsalmic vinegar with the parmasian cheese, if I'm feeling really crazy, I'll wrap it in italian ham (can't spell prociutto) around it, then add the balsalmic vinegar.
Kawartha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: BBQ Reply with quote

I usually add it to a ziploc... squeeze 1/2 lemon, and some olive to coat. A few cracks of black pepper, and I let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so. Then to the barby.... some kosher salt sprinkled on...

Mmm Mmmmmm Mmmmmmmmm Teasing

Fresh grated Parmasan Regiano just before plating... yum

Kawa

edit: Added chesse line

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been roasting aspargus and cauliflower using this technique for years. Just roasting with salt, pepper, and olive oil works great, steaming and boiling leaches out all flavor.

One tip-- after roasting is done, try drizzling a little dark sesame or truffle oil on top. Just a little bit goes a long way.
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our current favourite is to roast it with some of the Maldon salt, and a thinly sliced lemon. The lemon adds a nice flavour without being overpowering, and the Maldon gives it that nice crunchy salt bite without being overpowering like the Kosher.
Asparagusgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Love it! Reply with quote

I love this recipe...and this site!!!!! What a great idea!

If you want to try out more recipes.....from a non engineering side... www.gourmettrading.net We also have a science project for white asparagus as welL!!!!
sheila

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Can I do the roasted aspargus on my BBQ? Reply with quote

I love asparagus. Too bad I didn't as a kid because it grew wild across the street in the vacant lot Smile

As I do not have a "proper" oven on my CAL-34 sailboat, can I make a packet for the aspargus in aluminum foil and put on the BBQ?

If so, any tips?

Thanks,
Sheila
Anchored at the Caribbean island of St. Maarten / St. Martin
Personal Sailing blog
Yacht Charter blog
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I do the roasted aspargus on my BBQ? Reply with quote

sheila wrote:
As I do not have a "proper" oven on my CAL-34 sailboat, can I make a packet for the aspargus in aluminum foil and put on the BBQ?

You can put the asparagus directly onto the grill. Rotate/roll once and cook until the color has changed into a deeper green color.
crinklebug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Awesome Asparagus? Reply with quote

Mmmmm, yeah! I've been making this on the grill for years! Easiest way to do this recipe, like others have said, is in a gallon zipper bag. My favorite addition is fresh lime juice. Squeeze the juice of one or two limes into the bag after the salt, olive oil and pepper, zip it shut and shake, shake, shake. Excellent when grilled until crisp! Almost candied. This is a must for all our summer BBQ's.
Another goodie is to shmear goat cheese or cream cheese onto pepper quarters, or mini pepper halves, and grill until cheese has a touch of gold on edges.
Broiling both will achieve same deliciousness.
Teasing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Love this website Reply with quote

I just discovered this website while searching for a roasted asperigus recipe. Just the title, "Cooking for Engineers" gave me the biggest laugh of the day. The nicely organized recipe cards are a hoot. I am a 45 year old female engineer who does just fine with cookbooks, but I'm bookmarking this site!
ValveEngineer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Roasted Asparagus Reply with quote

Thanks to Michael and Chef Emeril I found the perfect (and easy) enhancement.

After rolling the (2 pounds) asparagus in the oil and dusting with salt and freah ground pepper I minced 2 garlic cloves on top and rolled some more. I mixed it in as best I could and roasted at 425 deg F for 15 minutes. I turned the oven off and left it in for 2 more minutes.

On top of the stove I squeezed 1/2 small lemon over the asparagus and mixed it together with the roasted garlic. I intended to leave the last half for my wife who works late. Not a chance this tme!

I grabbed the asparagus (with clean hands) and ate it starting at the tips. I discovered that eating it this way I could easily detect when to stop at any tough ends. I had only cut off 1 inch earlier not knowing where the toughness begins. This resolved the problem of tough asparagus ends. Should I have used a fork? No way!

I'll probably never steam asparagus again. Engineers rule!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: