Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chicken & Mushroom Marsala
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Chcken Marsala - Most Excellent! Reply with quote

Excellent start-off recipe!! I actually made 16 breasts (increase the ingredients accordingly) which required me to do the reciped three times. I DID need to slice the breasts in order to have them cooked through. It is CRITICAL that the breasts soak in salted water for about 90 minutes!! For my recipe I also added the following ingredients for the entire tray of Chicken Marsala: 1 3/4 chopped large red onions, 8 containers of portobello mushrooms, 10 bunches of scallions (also called green onions) chopped, and 12 strips of choppped cooked maple bacon. I also needed to add about two tablespoons of gold medal flour to each pan I made to thichen the sauce. I seasoned the sauce with some salt, pepper & a lot of garlic powder. Once all three frying pans worth of food were done, I put all of it into a large serving tray that went into the oven to stay warm. This is the best Chicken Marsala I've ever tasted!!
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've found what I'm making for dinner tonight. Thanks for the great recipe!
snickers4ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Dry Marsala vs. Sweet Marsala Reply with quote

Dry marsala is used in entres, sweet marsala is used in desserts.
ben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: chicken marsala Reply with quote

i am in no way a cook by any stretch of the imagination but i had guests over my house last night so i used this recipe for dinner and everybody was very impressed with it.

at first i kept thinking what everybody was going to want on there pizza after i tasted it, but when i did i was like WOW this is damn good and when i let every body else try it they thought the same thing so i wanted to thank the author for a wonderful meal last night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little trick I use to ensure the chicken stayes juicy and tender is to start cooking it when it is only half thawed. This works very well in most applications even on the BBQ. The cooking time is only slightly longer and when you get the hang of it you can guarantee a very moist chicken breast.
me in NC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: marsala wine Reply with quote

Apparently I used sweet marsala and it was quite bad tasting. I added a can of chicken broth to salvage the meal, but that only made it edible. I don't know if I want to try it again, with dry marsala.
erichcervantez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Nice site! Reply with quote

Just wanted to say nice site...love the pictures. I wish there were more in-depth recipe sites like this (or maybe there are)

Keep it strong for all us engineers out there!

But seriously, what is up with that crazy Captcha confirmation code business in the phpBB? You'd get way more comments if you removed the complexity
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nice site! Reply with quote

erichcervantez wrote:
But seriously, what is up with that crazy Captcha confirmation code business in the phpBB? You'd get way more comments if you removed the complexity

I did get more comments - a LOT more, and not the variety that you or I would want. At least now, the spammers are more or less manageable. I still have to delete spam comments on a daily basis even with the crazy captcha.
Brandi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

It's awesome to see a different take on a recipe my mom gave me years ago! So far I've found everything on this site very helpful!

I have to say, I was surprised not to see instructions to marinate the chicken in the marsala... is that not a normal thing to do for this dish?
Normally, I marinade the chicken in enough Marsala to cover it and toss in one or two minced garlic cloves.

I will be trying it your way soon, that's for sure!

For those of you looking for decent, inexpensive marsala wines... I usually either get either Columbo or Lombardo (sweet for either) and find they both give great flavor. I don't think I've ever paid more than $8-$10 for either brand.

I've never actually reduced and thickened the sauce though... usually I just make some pasta and marinara to have on the side - I'm sure that's terrible!

Any side dish suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
bakersfieldmom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe. I just found your website, and thrilled to have found it. I had chicken marsala at a local restaurant, and liked the idea, so have been looking for a recipe. You came through for me, and I will use this recipe for guests and husband, alike. I have been buying a cooked version at Costco for a lot of money. No more...thanks to you, I have my own recipe. Keep up the good work, and ignore those who want to nitpick your typos...if they don't harm the recipe, move on. I am a writer, and when I get critical remarks, it is usually from someone who has no idea the energy and time it takes to put together words. I'm learning to not take it personal, so hopefully you know for every critic, you have hundreds of those who appreciate your work, and you.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

bakersfieldmom wrote:
Keep up the good work, and ignore those who want to nitpick your typos...if they don't harm the recipe, move on. I am a writer, and when I get critical remarks, it is usually from someone who has no idea the energy and time it takes to put together words. I'm learning to not take it personal, so hopefully you know for every critic, you have hundreds of those who appreciate your work, and you.

Thanks for your positive comments, but I just want to say that criticism is a good thing, pointing out typos is a good thing, asking for grammar mistakes to be corrected is a good thing. This is the web, I can update and fix immediately, if there's a thousand eyeballs looking at my work and critiquing it, I can make the necessary adjustments to make the article as good as it can be - certainly the last thing I want to do is ignore nitpickers. (I might not act on the feedback because I understand I can't please everyone, but the information is greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to be writing in a black hole.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: chicken marsala for 100 Reply with quote

Your recipe for chicken marsala looks super! Here's my dilemma, I hope you can help me. I want to make this dish for 100 people at home and then transport to another location and serve from chafing dishes. Can I prepare this dish ahead of time and refrigerate...in which case, how do I reheat? Is a chafing dish high powered enough to reheat? I think I need to prepare ahead because I have to have the meal ready for a certain time and want to have it all done so I don't run out of time.
thanks for any guidance ahead of time.
audrey kim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hey michael. i am one of tina's friends! she kept raving about this recipe, so I am excited to make it! I just got married, so any easy recipes that are guaranteed delicious are awesome! i have 2 quick questions. 1. can i use frozen chicken breasts? 2. what kind of pasta did u use in ur pictures or for tina? she said it matches really well. can you give me the recipe? THANKS!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

audrey kim wrote:
1. can i use frozen chicken breasts?

Yes, just make sure it's full defrosted before you start.

audrey kim wrote:
2. what kind of pasta did u use in ur pictures or for tina? she said it matches really well. can you give me the recipe?

I think the photo shows linguine, but these days I use capellini. Just boil four quarts of water, add a tablespoon or more of salt to the water, add the pasta and boil for a couple minutes less than what it says on the packaging. Test the pasta to see if it's "done". (Bite the pasta and see if the inside is still white, if it is then it's not done. If it's cooked through but still chewy inside, it's done. If it's soft all the way through it's overcooked.)
Elizabeth NJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: re: sauce file Reply with quote

Quote:
Rick2U wrote:
I have a 50 + year old spaghetti meat sauce that is very good and I would like to pass it on here. Where do I post it? It is not a quick make (5 hours) but well worth it. Let me know if you think it would be of interest.

Michael Chu said...
Recipes can be posted to the Recipes Forum or, if you wish to submit them for publication, then they should be written up and sent with pictures to submissions@cookingforengineers.com

Did Rick2U ever submit/post his recipe? Where might I find it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: