Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chicken & Mushroom Marsala
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please answer Jill's question above. Hard to find marsala wine here.

Kudos on this great site, wonder how I missed it so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Options Reply with quote

Without marsala try substituting gewurtzaminer & sauternes. Balance the flavors until you like how dry or sweet it is. Drink the rest...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: alternative ingredients? Reply with quote

i am a person who don't consume wine. i am pretty excited to try out this recipe but am afraid that excluding the wine will change the flavour of the whole dish. Is there any other ingredients i can substitute the wine with?
aislin1207

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: cooking wine Reply with quote

This is really a tasty and easy recipe - Thanks!! And a bit of advice for all you youngsters just beginning to cook with wines: There's a lot of truth in the old rule of thumb when cooking with wine - If it's not good enough to drink, DON'T cook with it! Those so called "cooking wines" that you find in grocery stores will do more harm to a dish than good (loaded with salt & just plain nasty!) There are a lot of good inexpensive wines out there....I use Cribari, a California Marsala that doesn't break my budget. Also try an inexpensive Port to make a great reduction to serve with steak .... yummy!
Nima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On February 20, 2007 at 02:37 PM, Missy (guest) said...
Quote:
Could you tell me if the pompeian brand marsala cooking wine is a sweet wine? Thanks

Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite dishes and I've used a few different brands. Pompeian is usable in a pinch, but as the marsala wine is the primary flavor source, I would recommend upgrading to a "non-supermarket" marsala. (I don't think I could ever see myself kicking back with a glass of pompeian after dinner. If it doesn't go in a glass, it doesn't belong in the pan either.) I have had a lot of success with florio sweet marsala. It's usually between $10-15 at wine shops and will be good for 4-5 batches.

Happy Cooking.
Tichaona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

I love the way this recipe is laid out but not as much as I love being able to make something that tastes soooo good! Excellent job! Thanks!

PS, Depending on what's on hand, I switch between the Marsala cooking wine and imported Sangria. LOL!
Debra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Tasty recipe! Reply with quote

Made this last night. Very tasty, and easy. My teenager in typical teen hyperbolic fashion complained that the sauce "smelled" and that the small taste I made her take was "the worst experience of her life!" I had to wipe the sauce off one of the chicken pieces for her. Oh well, her loss, as that meant I got all the mushrooms and sauce!
Shara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Wonderful Reply with quote

I'm an English teacher, not an engineer, but this is one of the best recipe sites I've found online. Everything is logical and easy to follow, and the food is delicious. Great work, engineers!
Hugo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Port? Reply with quote

I'm trying to buy Marsala wine to prepare this recipe but I can't find it anywhere. I read that this is as dessert wine, that can sometimes be compared to Port wine. I'm Portuguese, so I can buy Port easily. My question is: if I use Port, will the overall taste of the dish be totally different? Can I use it as a substitute?

Great site, congratulations Michael!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo -

anything full bodied red tending to 'sweet' will work just fine.
mj_biologist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Another alternative for marsala Reply with quote

Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I made it this evening, as I had some fresh mushrooms that just begged to be combined with chicken.

As I had frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, and I was in a hurry, I mixed them with the brine and microwaved on "defrost" for several cycles. MI didn't completely defrost, but then cut the chicken into pieces after microwaving, then rinsed and cooked up chicken as recommended. Marvellous flavor! Very tender! Thanks so much for this technique!

About the wine--I live in wine country (Finger Lakes region of New York State), so had a variety of local wines to choose from. I mixed a fairly dry white local table wine with some lovely local sherry (I swear I can taste hazelnuts in it!); the sherry would have been too sweet and overpowering, and the dry white was too uninteresting. I think the secret is mixing to taste; it added a truly wonderful flavor to the chicken!

I also added only 1-2 tablespoons of half and half, then thickened with corn starch, and served over egg noodles. Absolutely delicious! You are quite right--this is a superb recipe that lends itself to tinkering. Many, many thanks! A new staple for my recipe box!
Guakalillo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Recipe Reply with quote

Wow. I cooked this for my wife and she and I both could not believe how delicious it was. Perfection beyond expectaion. I am cooking it for my very dear friends tommorrow. Thanks, I'll be back for more recipes.
O'Thinny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Firefox Reply with quote

Love the site. But you should be aware that your page for chicken and mushroom marsala doesn't display properly when viewed using the Firefox browser. The word 'reduce' in the schematic is displayed (twice) left to write rather than up and down, which rather messes up your neat diagram.

All the best,
O'Thinny
Sherman Chong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Big Ass Reply with quote

Hey guys, please diam la cb knn. And happy cooking.i love it here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Chcken Marsala - Most Excellent! Reply with quote

Excellent start-off recipe!! I actually made 16 breasts (increase the ingredients accordingly) which required me to do the reciped three times. I DID need to slice the breasts in order to have them cooked through. It is CRITICAL that the breasts soak in salted water for about 90 inutes!! For my recipe I also added the following ingredients for the entire tray of Chicken Marsala: 1 3/4 chopped large red onions, 6 containers portobello mushrooms, 10 bunches of scallions (also called green onions) chopped, and 12 strips of choppped cooked maple bacon. I also needed to add about two tablespoons of gold medal flour to each pan I made to thichen the sauce. I seasoned the sauce with some salt, pepper & a lot of garlic powder. Once all three frying pans worth of food were done, I put all of it into a large serving tray that went into the oven to stay warm. This is the best Chicken Marsala I've ever tasted!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: