Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chicken & Mushroom Marsala
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I am going to give this recipe a try in about 1hr.
I make dinner for my family before I head off to work,(3p-11p) so I won't know how it went over until tomorrow. I'll let you know.

ANYWAY- I had Chicken Marsala last night at "Chef Allen's here in Reading, Pa. I was stuffed with mozarella and adagio cheese, and covered with "red smashed potatoes. (Is the cheese called asagio or adagio?) Anyway, I liked the idea of the cheese stuffed in there.

This is the 1st time I have ever been on this site but, I know I will return. I appreciate how the recipes are laid out and the pictures.
(Cooking for Dummies)

Thanks!
Wink
freespiritny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Great Blog- Reply with quote

To the a-hole that keeps correcting the grammar and spelling on this blog- leave the guy alone. Who cares?? He is providing us with excellent information and is not doing so to be corrected and nitpicked for writing "your" instead of "you're". Take your corrections elsewhere.
mattyz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried this recipe a few times.

First time I tried to double the recipe... It doesn't work well unless you have a large enough sauce pan. The marsala will never thicken.

Second time... The chicken was too thick, and it came out a little dry.

Third time... I cut the chicken into 1" x 1" pieces. This turned out pretty well.

Thank goodness the sweet marsala wine sauce is on clearance at my local store, I am going to keep trying until I find a way to make this that works for me.
jennifer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Know-it-alls Reply with quote

I am so glad that someone (freespiritny) pointed out how ridiculously unnecessary and rude it is to focus on typos and spelling errors rather than the recipe. If you can't deduce that "sovering" should have been "covering" (context clues, people), you probably shouldn't be using the stove anyway! In fact, the only thing more inconsiderate would be to use their recipe blog as a place to brag about how much better yours is than theirs - wait, the did that too, didn't they?

Anyway, it sounds like a very easy and delicious recipe and I intend to try it soon. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with those of us whose cooking abilities don't rival those of Emeril!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

I tried this recipe (with veal) and it was not only easy, it tasted like something from a restaurant. I have only 1 small suggestion,

At the "Stir occassionally until this mixture reduces to the point where it will coat the back of a spoon or leave a trail at the bottom of the pan when scraped" it may have been helpful to have an estimated timeframe for this as I panicked and added more heavy cream.

Thanks for the great site.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this recipe looks so good and simple! I can't wait to try it! I like the fact that this recipe has relatively few ingredients. I find with most recipes, the fact that I will have to buy 20 different spices and other ingredients I will have no use for again is a huge deterrent.
I would also like to know what is considered a "good", or even "decent" Marsala wine.

Anyway, I love your web site; it is extremely helpful! Keep up the great work!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I would also like to know what is considered a "good", or even "decent" Marsala wine.

A good or decent wine is one that you don't mind drinking. If it doesn't taste good enough to drink, it's probably not going to taste good in your dish - especially if it's concentrated by reduction.
Rick2U

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

Michael. Love your site. Sent the web addy to my daughter (a teacher in London ON) my Mother and two sisters. I am making your Chicken Marsala tonight (dry) and will only add onions with the mushrooms. I have a 50 + year old spaghetti meat sauce that is very good and I would like to pass it on here. Where do I post it? It is not a quick make (5 hours) but well worth it. Let me know if you think it would be of interest.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken Marsala Reply with quote

Rick2U wrote:
I have a 50 + year old spaghetti meat sauce that is very good and I would like to pass it on here. Where do I post it? It is not a quick make (5 hours) but well worth it. Let me know if you think it would be of interest.

Recipes can be posted to the Recipes Forum or, if you wish to submit them for publication, then they should be written up and sent with pictures to submissions@cookingforengineers.com
Rick2U

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Sauce file Reply with quote

I made the Chicken Marsala and my wife loved it. Thanks Michael. I will submit my recipe for the sauce when I make a batch and take pictures. I have the recipe written up on Word already so I just need the pics. What size should each pic file be and total file?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sauce file Reply with quote

Rick2U wrote:
What size should each pic file be and total file?

Good question! I would prefer if the images were at least 640 pixels in the longest dimension. I've added this to the Article Submission Program Page
Conky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Marsala Reply with quote

Michael this is an excellent site. Thanks. I first found it a about a year ago when I was looking for versions of beef stroganoff and was tickled when I saw that your recipe is the same in all respects (except fresh dill when available) as the one I have been using for about 45 years.
I make veal, chicken and pork marsala using a very similar method. I use Florio Sweet and reduce it a little. Rather than cream, though I'll try it next time, I use a couple of cubes of demi glace (frozen in an ice tray), so more reduction is unnecessary. Sometimes I'll use shallots, steaming them in the marsala and sometimes I'll add a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters to the mushrooms as they cook. As in your recipe, I don't use herbs for veal or chicken, but I do add a small amout of rubbed sage to pork.
Missy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Is Pompeian Marsala Cooking Wine A Sweet Wine? Reply with quote

Could you tell me if the pompeian brand marsala cooking wine is a sweet wine? Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Pompeian Marsala Cooking Wine A Sweet Wine? Reply with quote

Missy wrote:
Could you tell me if the pompeian brand marsala cooking wine is a sweet wine? Thanks

From the looks of the nutrition info available on their website each 30mL serving of wine has 2g sugar content. Since wines don't normally list nutrition info, it's hard to compare against other brands - but it is sweeter than their white wine and red cooking wine, so I would guess that it is a sweet and not dry wine. If you have a bottle, you can go ahead and taste it. Some cooking wines actually contain salt - which you may want to avoid as it makes it difficult to determine how much salt you are adding to your dish (just like salted butter makes it difficult to consistently season food).
Jill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: sub for marsala wine Reply with quote

Hi there - does anyone know of a substitute for marsala wine when cooking chicken marsala (I know ridiculous question - but I'm stuck right now....) If I use a dry white, should I add anything?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: