Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chicken & Mushroom Marsala
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Chicken Marsala for a lot of people

This recipe won't work well in an oven. The sauce needs to be reduced with the mushrooms for it to work and that's not going to happen in the oven properly. I suggest looking online for a recipe for Chicken Marsala designed for either large numbers of people or for the oven and scale that recipe.

re: dry marsala wine

I don't feel that flavor of dry marsala wine results in what I expect from chicken marsala after it has been reduced. The flavor difference is intensified and is pretty noticable. I suggest sticking with sweet marsala wine.
Scissorbill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: left meets right Reply with quote

'Reintroduce the breasts'
hu hu huhuhuhu (to the tune of Beavis & Butthead)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Variation Reply with quote

First, I love the site.

Second, I prepared Chicken Marsala for my parents last month, and used a recipe that didn't use cream. For those that are trying to avoid dairy, please be aware that this is an option - I just used chicken stock to add moistness.

With that said, I'm going to try your version later in the month - it looks delicious!
Skip Oberon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: I LOVE TO EAT! Reply with quote

Hi pals, how's it shaking? That will be funny in a second, because I'm asking about salt. What do you think about it? Does it bother you that it has clorine in it that, if not bonded with a little sodium atom would make it pretty darn deadly? The sodium, when it came in contact with your saliva, would also do quite a little number on you for sure. (Can you say Dental Insurance???) So, today I'd like the thank the Universe (Thanks Universe!) for allowing simple deadly elements to come together and make harmless and tasty treats. Anyway, what proportions of salt do you guys and gals like to use on, say, potatoes au gratin? I believe that approximately 0.5 grams of salt for every kilogram of potatoes will make the potatoes quite splendid. So, for this particular dish, a salt quotient of 0.0005 is quite appropriate. My Mom makes the BEST Chicken Parmeseana.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the cornstarch king, so instead of using cream in my marsala, I reduce the wine and do the rest of the thickening with water+cornstarch. I have never heard of cream going into chicken marsala until now, but I think chicken madiera usually uses a little.
resn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Yum)^100 Smile

Well done sir, well done. BTW, love the grid idea.
wizodd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: yet another typo. Reply with quote

"Turn off the heat and move the breasts to a serving tray, sovering with mushrooms and sauce." covering? slathering?

Nice, minimal recipe.

Note that Marsala comes in both sweet and dry--which you use will make a difference in the flavor!

Personally, I like my chicken in bite-size pieces--1"x1" or so. They cook real fast though.

If you add a bit of corn syrup to the brining mixture, the chicken will carmelize (brown) faster. (Very small amount required 1/4-1/2 tsp per breast--this is dependant upon surface area, so the smaller your chicken pieces, the more you need.) (I know, this should be quantified, but I haven't gotten to it yet...)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: yet another typo. Reply with quote

wizodd wrote:
covering? slathering?

typo fixed. Thanks for catching that!
John M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Dry Marsala Reply with quote

I have always seen this made with dry Marsala. Marcella Hazan calls for dry in her recipe for veal ala Marsala. I guess it is just personal preference, but I even add a bit of lemon juice to the chicken version to cut the sweetness even more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. i´m stunned. i just tried the chicken marsala recipe, and i can only say kudos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Marsala Dining Out Reply with quote

I ordered chicken marsala at a restaurant in Delaware, Valle' Pizza (Cucina Italino)and it was prepared very similar to your recipe, and look very similar to your pics. It seemed OK but was sort of bland, good and seemed to be what I would consider a healthy blend. I think your recipe could enhance theirs if more engineering is what it would take. Just be careful sitting down at this restaurant, I enjoyed the marsala until I got up and found chewing gum on my pants.

Dave Newark, Delaware
guest--I'll register soon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: chicken marsala Reply with quote

Having recently made the long-and-messy way, kudos for the simple version! To add a little "tang" or "zip" to it, throw two or three thin slices of lemon in to sautee when the mushrooms are almost done, and add a tiny bit of lemon juice to your brine... works well if you find the marsala too sweet...
kayke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this for my boyfriend who's a chef and he said "it's faaan- tastic" which is high praise indeed. I like things to be a bit saltier so I added a touch of tamari (wheat-free Japanese soy sauce) and it was delightful. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your site!!
kay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Marsala Recipe Reply with quote

I like adding a bit of fresh chopped rosemary with the mushrooms to give a great flavour combo
sarasara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: ok one small question Reply with quote

any ideas as to what "good" marsala wine would be? I would like to try your recipe but would like to use good marsala wine as suggested - any name brands would be so helpful for me - I am excited to try your recipe since all my skinless chkin breast recipes turn out so awful - overcooked - stringy - feels like you are eating cardboard etc. Smile

"Face piles of trials with smiles, it riles them to believe that you preceive the web they weave and keep on thinking free....The Moody Blues"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: