Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Zucchini for Bread Help Please Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi
Could someone please show me a picture of what kind of zucchini is used for making the sweet zucchini bread.. I made some yesterday and i used short thin style ones ...well the bread turned out terrible it was dry and not very sweet..i used a recipe that had excellent reviews .. i usually have no problem with recipes so was wondering if it was the type of zucchini i used... Would appreciate any help..
Thank You

very unlikely to be the zucchini's fault. certainly there are different strains of zucchini, but the big ones are just the little ones all grown up. they'll get to baseball bat size if let go....

smaller one have few/smaller/more tender seeds and those should work quite well in a zucchini bread.

I would suggest starting a new thread / message about the problem and post the list of ingredients used for that recipe. perhaps that would shed some light on what may have gone bump in the night . . .
fuzzyslippers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: zucchini and mushrooms.... Reply with quote

I had a similar dish in a top restaurant just yesterday.That chef also grated parmesan cheese over it--served piping hot and cheese was melting.Delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUMMY!!! but it didn't convince my parents that zucchini is delicious. Sad
goodeats

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: suggestions Reply with quote

As a vegetarian and chef, I love zucchini and mushrooms. I try to bring out the most flavor I can in my sauteed vegetables by way of light caramelization. I offer this technique as an alternative to soggy, bland vegetables.

Start with a very hot pan and a very high flame. Add a substantial amount of vegetable oil, (Sorry, you can't use olive oil; it will burn. You can can substitute up to 20 percent of the vegetable oil with olive oil, but beyond that is pushing it. Another good alternative is clarified butter.) more than you think you'll need; the mushrooms will soak it up. Once you see very faint whisps of smoke floating out of the pan, or when a drop of water spatters loudly and evaporates quickly, add the mushrooms. Don't stir them, just let them cook for a little while (the time varies depending on the volume, but it would be measured in seconds). Check the underside of a few to see if they're browning. If so, stir them around in the pan and then let them cook undisturbed again. Once browning begins anew, push the mushrooms to the edges of the pan, add a little more oil if needed, and add the zucchini. Don't stir them, just let it ride. Now would be a good time to add salt and pepper, if you're into that sort of thing. Again, check the zucchini after a little while to see if the zucchini is browning. If so, add the garlic, reduce the heat to medium, and stir everything together. Continue to cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is cooked al dente. It should be firm, but not raw. If I were you, I'd finish it off by blasting the heat again and hitting it with a teaspoon or so of white wine, not too much though; you want to be able to taste the vegetables, not the wine.

Enjoy.
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: zucchini Reply with quote

Your recipe is very simple yet it looks so tasty. Good recipe for my vegetarian friends.
buffhawke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

I've been using this recipe for a couple of years now ... and it's AWESOME !!!

My only substitution is that I use one zucchini and one summer squash for a little color variety.
sarahyoung75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Test Recipes: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

This vegetarian recipe is so good I think. Thanks for giving us this wonderful dish. I can't wait to try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: