Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Limeade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayskies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: typo Reply with quote

whoops, typo

change: not to keep the original flavor.
to
to keep the orignial flavor.
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Great stuff! Reply with quote

Wow, this is great! My whole family loves this stuff. Thanks a bunch and rest assured that you have gained one more frequent visitor.

Ian from Finland
H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic...really delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cutting your lime peels into sections and running them through a blender with the water you're going to put in your limeade, then straining them back out again. This is a Brazilian form of limeade that gives an interesting, creamy sort of drink -- very tasty. But it does NOT keep well, so this is a serve-as-it's-made type drink, extremely unsuitable for a mix. If you let it stand too long it will become bitter. Also, don't try it with lemons.
guest from Alaska

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to make two quarts of limeaid. I skipped the syrup step and ended up with a delightful drink by approximating the various ratios of water, squeezed lime juice, and sugar. I took into account the comments regarding equating parts of sugar and water. To make sure the sugar mixed well I used a metal wisk which mixes much better than a spoon and seems to facilitate the dissolving faster. Here is my "secret" recipe for anyone who is as impatient as I am and wants to expedite that glass of limeaid being ready to drink.

1. Juice 4 lemons as described in original recipie. I happen to have an electric juicer so it is a task that takes little time or effort.
2. Pour the lime juice into a two quart pitcher (in my case the 4 limes made about 4/5 of a cup of juice.)
3. Add one cup of sugar and one cup of water. Wisk well. This made one pint of concentrate after the sugar dissolved.
4. Fill the pitcher to the top with cold water to make two quarts combined. Wisk away like crazy. After a few minutes it is ready to pour into a cup filled with ice cubes. Drink and enjoy.
5. Put the pitcher in the refrigerator and watch how fast it disappears as the other members of your household sip and taste and you keep returning for more.
Guest from Alaska

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Use Limes, not Lemons - correction to above recipe Reply with quote

Well as you all know, when life gives you lemons, trade them for limes. In my haste to divulge to the world my "secret" recipe for two quarts of quick made limeaid I said to juice 4 lemons. Switch that to limes or you will otherwise end up like the guy who was given lemons and made lemonaid. Big smile
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: bit of twist on this great recipe Reply with quote

I love this recipe.. i have used it a few times when limes go on sale 10 for a 1$.

I have one little twist for it that my family at least seems to love
thinly slice a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger root and add it when you are making the simple syrup fish it out after the syrup has cooled before you mix with the juice. Use the concentrate as normal .
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I modified the recipe, as my GF and I love really intensely tart and sweet limeade (the stuff at Trader Joe's is our baseline standard, for those who know the grocery outlet).

We used a professional juicer to juice the limes, removing only the peels and the heavy white stuff between the peel and the meat of the lime. We then squeezed the pulp through cheese cloth, which got us a lot more juice. 10 smallish limes yielded 20 fl. oz. of liquid.

To the 20 fl. oz. of lime juice we added 40 fl. oz. of water and 3 cups (24 fl. oz.) of sugar. After refrigeration, we got the same sort of very tart, very sweet sipping limeade we love from the store. Your recipe might be a tad more drinkable for those not wishing quite such a punch in the face for flavor. Wink
BerylCourt

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Lemonade - > Cream Soda Reply with quote

When I am making lemonade I like to infuse a vanilla pod in the syrup for an hour or so and then add the lemon juice. This produces a fantastic Cream Soda drink.
Limey

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Limeade Reply with quote

Try making a cherry concentrate with a Cherry Kool-Aid. one half cup sugar, one package of Kool-Aid and a cup of water. Mix well and add to your Limeade. Fantastic Cherry Limeade!
Eurasian7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: vanilla-limeade Reply with quote

I'm with Berylcourt--vanilla limeades are to die for! I always ask the folks at Sonic to add a splash of vanilla to mine. They make a diet version too, yummy.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: vanilla-limeade Reply with quote

Eurasian7 wrote:
I'm with Berylcourt--vanilla limeades are to die for! I always ask the folks at Sonic to add a splash of vanilla to mine. They make a diet version too, yummy.

The closest Sonic to me is 133 miles away according to the Sonic website locator. That is disappointing because I hear they are very good.
pastrychef1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: limes Reply with quote

Don't forget to nuke those limes for more juice. If I am doing a cup of juice, I will nuke 6-7 limes for about 30 - 40 seconds. SO much more juice!
bpod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Limeade tweaks: mint and garnish Reply with quote

I tasted my first limeade a couple weeks ago and vowed to try making it myself. I found your recipe last night and mixed up a batch - delicious! Thank you for posting it.

My tweaks: added a bunch of coarsely chopped mint leaves to the lime juice and let it steep while making/cooling my simple syrup (next time, I'll try mashing it up a bit to release more of that minty goodness). Run it through a fine seive and squeeze the leaves to extract all the juice before mixing with simple syrup/water. Yum.

Also, added thin slices of lemon and lime to the pitcher. You could also garnish glasses with a small sprig of fresh mint.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: shaved ice syrup Reply with quote

I found your site today as I was searching for a recipe for shaved ice syrup.

I made your Limeade concentrate with Key Lime juice and poured it over snow from my back porch. It was delicious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: