Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Pumpkin Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grammargrammie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: non-dairy pumpkin pie Reply with quote

I've made pumpkin custard for a family member who is lactose-intolerant. I used plain soy milk, and it turned out very well.

Others in our clan have to be careful of sugar, so for those I make pies using granular "Splenda" and a few drops of stevia. I used less than half the sugar equivalent when using the granular sweetener, and approximately 6-8 drops of the stevia liquid.
Carrie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: A Dairy-Free Version Reply with quote

I found this recipe two years ago, and have used it ever since. My only change is to use coconut milk in place of the milk/cream. We don't eat any dairy, and the coconut milk brings the mouth feel and a very faint coconut hint, without the palate coating quality of dairy. Last time I made it, I started by steeping two decaf chai tea bags, in the coconut milk to add a more mellow spice flavor throughout the pie, in addition to the more intense flavor of the spices cooked into the pumpkin. Just LOVELY!

Thanks so much, this pie is perfect. My husband is a pumpkin pie fanatic (super fanatic) and this is the only one he'll eat now!

Best,

Carrie
kellyjane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: making two pies Reply with quote

If I want to make two pies--and I'm hoping I can fit filling for both in my blender--does it matter if the filling for pie #2 sits while pie number one is baking?

Also, last year I had some confusion about measuring butter for my pie crusts. The butter I have is not in neat cubes of 1/2 cup, so to save time in counting out all those tablespoons, I weighed it, thinking the butter would weigh the same as fluid ounces, but realized too late that is didn't,and had to throw it out. Sad I get confused just thinking about it! Can you give me a simple way to keep the issue of fluid versus solid ounces straight in my head?

Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: making two pies Reply with quote

kellyjane wrote:
Also, last year I had some confusion about measuring butter for my pie crusts. The butter I have is not in neat cubes of 1/2 cup, so to save time in counting out all those tablespoons, I weighed it, thinking the butter would weigh the same as fluid ounces, but realized too late that is didn't,and had to throw it out. Sad I get confused just thinking about it! Can you give me a simple way to keep the issue of fluid versus solid ounces straight in my head?

I'm surprised the recipes didn't work and you had to throw them out. Butter's density is almost the same as water (a little [about 9%] lighter - closer to that of ice) so you would have been pretty close. 4 oz (weight) of butter would be about 1/2 cup + 1 or 2 tablespoons.

There is no easy way to convert fluid vs. solid ounces because the densities of ingredients are all different. The only easy one is water - 8 oz fluid (a US cup) is 8 oz weight.
carolinaper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: pumpkin pie Reply with quote

this pie is really delicious: i've been making it for the last 3 halloweens, here in Madrid, Spain, and everybody loves it! Thank you!
debbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie Reply with quote

I love this pie! One question, or two...is the filling supposed to be poured into the warm pie shell, or is the shell supposed to be cooled? Second, is the shell supposed to be brushed with anything?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to let the crust cool completely.

you can brush the unbaked crust with egg white - that can help keep the crust from getting ' soggy' - brush it on, then bake.

if the filling is too watery, it will soak into the crust no-matter-what - but typically the egg wash helps most while the pie is still 'fresh' - i.e. after some hours any free liquid will soak into the crust anyway.
Anthony B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Pumkin Pie Reply with quote

Should you heat up Pumkin Pie before eating?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

room temp or slightly warmed is okay by me - you don't "have" to
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: doubling the reciepe Reply with quote

if i wanted to make more than one or two pies at once, what method would I use?

Would I just double or triple the ingredients or is there a different measurment system?

How would I mix the eggs and the filling since the blender fits only one
pie filling?

Thanks, Ronald
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: doubling the reciepe Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
How would I mix the eggs and the filling since the blender fits only one pie filling?

Normally, you can double the filling and just divide - but since your equipment cannot accommodate this, I would say you should simply make the filling twice - the extra time spent should not be significant as you don't have to clean up between fillings.
Lu Lu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Just perfect! Reply with quote

I have been looking for what I consider the "perfect" pumpkin pie recipe for years. I am happy to say that I found it on your site! It has a very balanced taste, and mouthfeel is a creamy, custard like delight. Your recipe is now in my culinary repertoire.

On a side note, I too am an engineer. Your recipe lay out is very logical; love it.

Laura
deirdresong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: "evaporated milk" vs. "condensed milk" q Reply with quote

I have noticed that it seems some posters are using the terms "evaporated milk" and "condensed milk" interchangably and or without making a distinction between the two.

Although evaporated milk could be described as condensed, and in terms of the English language be correct - the products sold on the store shelves in the USA are of significant difference when cooking.

The product labeled "evaporated milk" is the equivalent of double strength milk or milk with 1/2 its volume in water removed. A can of "evaporated milk" reconstituted with an equal amount of water would meet the legal requirements for whole milk of the same volume. It's not likely to taste the same however.

The product labeled "condensed milk" is a concentrated milk product with a large amount of sugar added into it. If this product is cooked straight from the can it makes a candy much like a soft gooey praline, just to give an idea of how high a proportion of sugar is in this product.

The two products are not used interchangably.
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: New Zealand Pumpkin / Japanese Kabocha Reply with quote

We made this recipe while living in New Zealand and decided that it was far preferable to any pumpkin pie we had growing up in the US. We attribute this to the awesome NZ cooking pumpkins. When we went to make this back in the US, we were chagrined that we wouldn't be able to find NZ pumpkin.

But then we found japanese kabocha squash at our local asian grocer. It turns out this is literally identical to the NZ pumpkin we used to buy. This squash is sweeter, denser, less fibrous and all around more awesome than even the butternut squash.
metropolitangardening

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie Reply with quote

mmm PIE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: