Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Pumpkin Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*morningstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this recipe on the front page today, and it reminded me of how much I love it I made about 6 pies using it last year and they were wonderful - I didn't think pie could dissapear so quickly! I'm going to use this same recipe again this year, with the only changes being slightly more spice than specified.

I want to try it with a real pumpkin instead of canned, but I'm unsure of what to look for when buying cooking pumpkins. Help?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to mix pumpkin and mashed sweet potato 50/50 in any recipe that calls for either. In the case of the standard Libby's recipe for pumpkin pie, you end up with a pie filling that is perfectly soft and custardy.

I have never had a problem with the 'fibrousness of canned pumpkin'.

If you cook fresh pumpkin, be sure to buy the right speicies- for instance, jack-o-lantern pumpkins are pretty much useless for cooking (apart form the seeds).
ND cooking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: milk substitute for pumpkin pie Reply with quote

The best milk "substitute I have ever tried in pumpkin pie was cashew milk. You simply soak the cashews in water overnight (raw, not roasted and NOT salted). Then pour the mix in the blender. You can adjust the liquid for thicker or thinner consistensies, but start with the least water possible so you are almost making a cashew butter. I like a bit of vanilla added to it. This made a very light and delicious pie using arrowroot flour in place of eggs, but it is alot thinner so this pie must be pre-coooked and then must cool for a couple of hours in the refrigerator before eating. The thickened portion of pureed coconut (from a can) makes a great whipped topping for the pie. It is a very satisfying alternatives for those with dairy or egg allergies. (Alternately, coconut milk can be added in place of milk as well, but I like the cashew with coconut topping better).
annulla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: That sounds like mom's Reply with quote

Sounds like mom's recipe, and it sounds great. I definitely want to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used evaporated milk in my first pumpkin pie (actually my first homemade pie ever). It's basically the recipe from the Libby's can - pie was wonderful! (I made some modifications)

However, I'm really surprised the recipe above doesn't call for a homemade crust. Those frozen pie shells just don't do anythinf for me - tasteless, dry - ick! Why not include a primer on pie crusts?

Also, as far as the sogginess, I found that a layer of crushed gingersnaps and toasted pecans not only adds flavor, but keeps the crust from getting too soggy. http://www.joyofbaking.com/pumpkinpie.html
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: types of squash Reply with quote

Scientifically, a pumpkin and a squash are in the same family. I would suggest using Sweet Meat squash if you don't use canned. My preference is Safeway's canned pumpkin. It has more flavor than Libby's. Pie baker Jan
Forts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: My pie filling appears to be too runny? Reply with quote

In the pictures the filling looks to have a much thicker consistency than mine. I used the exact measurements and can only suspect one of two things:

1. Pumpkin Filling looked "watery" after pureeing. I just mixed it up and didnt bother trying to strain it. Should i have? (i used a fresh pumpkin)

2. Is that 2 cups of brown sugar supposed to be "packed"? The difference between packed and unpacked brown sugar can be about 1/4 cup.

Well, we'll see how it comes out anyways but i spilled pumpkin juice everywhere when trying to carefully place the pie into the oven. I will say that the filling tastes fanTASTIC.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: My pie filling appears to be too runny? Reply with quote

Forts wrote:
1. Pumpkin Filling looked "watery" after pureeing. I just mixed it up and didnt bother trying to strain it. Should i have? (i used a fresh pumpkin)

Fresh pumpkin can be drier or wetter than the canned type. If it seemed too watery, then it probably needed to be at least partially drained.

Forts wrote:
2. Is that 2 cups of brown sugar supposed to be "packed"? The difference between packed and unpacked brown sugar can be about 1/4 cup.

When measuring brown sugar by volume, it should always be packed. It is not possible to consistently measure unpacked brown sugar by volume. Either use the mass measurement with a scale or use a spoon (or a measuring cup one size smaller) to pack it down tightly.
Wendy from Boston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: sans Crust Reply with quote

The pie filling is so delicious I started resenting the crust distracting from the joy. Perhaps, I am a custard gal. In any case, I started making my pumpkin pies without the crust and it was heavenly, plus I saved some calories. The pie bake time is almost identical.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie Reply with quote

I had never had, nor made a pumpkin pie until this year. Upon looking for a recipe, among many on line, this is the one that looked the best. Once making it, my husband & I can't seem to get enough. Since then, we've made many pies & froze them.

This recipe is very flavorful, creamy, smooth, & just too good to resist eating the whole pie. (Believe me, we have!) My husband says it beats store bought any day.
Sue from WI (guest)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Deleriously delicious pie! Reply with quote

I too searched online for a 'made from scratch' pumpkin pie and noted that this one seemed to be the one that looked the best. I found an online resource that told how to choose the best small cooking pumpkin and processed the pumpkin accordingly. I then followed this recipe and instructions with a few variations (I used 2 cups of the homemade pumpkin, increased the cinnamon to 2 tsp, and added white sugar--just under 1/4 c) and I'm here today to say that this is the BEST pie I've ever eaten! Even my partner, who's not 'partial' to pie of any kind, much less pumpkin, said it's the creamiest, smoothest pie she's ever had.

Thank you, Michael, for sharing this delectible dessert!

Fondly, Sue
thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Excellent recipe! Reply with quote

We cooked this pie for thanksgiving, it was a great hit. Note that the can of pumpkin isn't listed in the quick ingredient card at the bottom of the recipe. We also added a little allspice (about 1/2 tsp) to the recipe to fill out the spices. The step by step instructions were great!
Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie - Alternative Reply with quote

I experiment alot in the kitchen and have found that using coconut milk milk (not cream of coconut) makes for a delicious pie. I also use all egg yolks and only brown sugar, no white and I add a dash of cardomom as well.

YUMMY
Milly Aratuz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: This pie was so delicious! Reply with quote

I'm fourteen years old and i have to admit I'm not the best baker, or cook for that matter. (one time i messed up cooking pasta... PASTA! when all you need to do is put it in water and boil it.. it really is pathetic.) but this recipe was so easy and was the best thing I've ever made! It tasted so flavorful and it was WAY better than store bought by a long shot! I just took out the cloves and added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon My mom and I are the only ones who eat it in my family. I made it Sunday and it was all gone by Monday night!! My mom loved it so much that on Tuesday she bought more ingredients and made me make another one Tuesday night! It made me so happy that someone actually liked my cooking! ^_^ I highly recommend this recipe. So the best of wishes to all other pumpkin pie makers out there!
Oatmeal Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Graham Cracker Crust Reply with quote

No one responded to the idea of making this recipe with a graham cracker crust. I really want to make this recipe, but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a pumpkin pie with graham cracker crust. Anyone have a recipe for a crust that will hold up against this recipe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: