Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Pumpkin Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangzer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: pumpkins Reply with quote

Too bad you dont use a real pumpkin like a tampa de rouge or lumina.
canned pumpkin is 90% squash.
i have a aunt who reacts to squash, but can eat my pies made with my home grown pumpkins,
and the differance in taste, most people dont beleave.
Heygts.livejournal.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: ...adjustment? Reply with quote

The recipie sounds great.

The only thing I would change (and I say this because I mess up in the kitchen often) is to add a warning about adding the just off the stove filling to the eggs. If it is too hot, it will cook the eggs (think egg drop soup) and make the filling a little funny.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: ...adjustment? Reply with quote

Heygts.livejournal.com wrote:
The only thing I would change (and I say this because I mess up in the kitchen often) is to add a warning about adding the just off the stove filling to the eggs. If it is too hot, it will cook the eggs (think egg drop soup) and make the filling a little funny.

I've never had a problem with the eggs curdling in this recipe because to prevent splatter, the pumpkin cream mixture is poured into the running blender at a relatively slow rate. The eggs heat up evenly and gradually as they are blended together with the pumpkin mixture. It would be another story entirely if the hot pumpkin mixture was in the blender and the eggs were added...
UtahVirginia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie Variation Reply with quote

Hello,
For those who like your pie a bit "nippier", try this. My mother always made her pumpkin pies by using 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup light molasses (instead of 3/4 cup sugar) and putting in a bit more spice than the traditional recipe. She used cinn, nutmeg, gr. cloves, ginger, and allspice. With everything but cinn, you need to be careful and just put in 1/4 teaspoon of each to start. Then if it seems too bland, you can add a tiny bit more. The molasses will make the pie a deeper, richer color.
kristen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, and it turned out FANTASTIC. The texture was nice and firm, very smooth. I used a deep-dish crust and there was still a bit of filling left over, and I had to bake it longer than the recipe recommends. This is undoubtedly the best pumpkin pie recipe I've ever used!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: how long can you keep the pie Reply with quote

I made the pie on Wednesday and had a little left over that I'm keeping in the fridge. How long can I keep it before it goes bad? Thanks, it was a great pie!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: my "dump pumpkin pie" Reply with quote

It was a very last minute call for a pumking "pie" for dessert. I put the can of pumpkin spice mix together just like it called for. Then I added graham cracker crumbs and Splenda, mixed it well, bake it and it was terrific. I served it cooled in a beautiful bowl with bourbon laced whipped cream on the side. Ok, Ok, so I'm a psychotherapist, not an engineer.
I just found this site and it's now one of my very favorites.
Toy Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a number of pumpkin pie recipes and this one is very close to my current favorite.

Instead of all the blending, I would suggest just lightly whipping the eggs (I use 2) and then whisking the rest of the ingredients together until blended. Then pour into the pie shell. I use the 15 minutes at 425 followed by 45 minutes at 350 method for my deep dish pies.

Toy Man
stacjjw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: pumpkin pie Reply with quote

I use a glass baking dish, and always have to cook my pie over an hour, is it the dish? My husband loves pumpkin pie, bout the only kind of desert I make he will eat. Any suggestions as to why I have to cook mine so long?

I have a glass deep dish, do the 450 for 15 min and reduce to 350. (used to do the 350 from the start but it never cooked that way.
Thanks
S.
stacjjw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: OOPS Reply with quote

oops sorry its 425 for 15 minutes then 350. Still wondering if its my pie dish, or need to bake it on a cookie sheet or something. Could it be the oven?
the_bleachman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all need to keep in mind that different ovens heat differently. Even if the temperatures were exactly equal between one oven and another, air currents, etc would affect how long your pie bakes. Therefore once you start using your oven to make particular dishes just jot a note on your recipe of the temperature setting used and total cooking time and you will eventually have a good set of data pertinent to each of those things you like to cook and can use that with new, but similar recipes to judge cooking times in your oven.

Of course, you will have your best data gathered about the time you remodel and change ovens at which point you will have to start again.
JB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people, im not an american....so i have never tried to make a pumkin pie (or even tasted it for that matter). I will try to make one tomorrow or the day after. I hope that your recipe works fine. I dunno if they sell canned pumkin here though. Thanks for your instructions!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also made many pumpkin pies some with cream and/or milk (several times a year for 30 years), but the nicest ones were made with evaporated milk. Considering you are cooking the milk on the stove and again in the oven once you've filled the pastry, I don't think you have to worry too much about a "cooked" milk taste. And all that sugar and spice is strong enough to cover almost anything anyway.
We don't get canned pumpkin here, but its pretty easy to cook. Just steam, microwave it (no water in a closed container) or bake it - otherwise it will be watery. Then mash or otherwise process until smooth. Pumpkin and hard yellow squash (eg butternut) can all be used, but some varieties are better than others.
jacquelinec

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Pie tips from a pro (almost!) Reply with quote

Hey there.
I wanted to share two tips with everyone. (1) an easy homemade pie crust will make this divine; (2) pressing crushed gingersnaps and/or pecans into the bottom crust will ensure a lovely crispy bottom crust and an added layer of flavor.

I'm not a baker and I swear, if I can make a homemade piecrust, you can too. I posted my recipe at the beginning of berry season in my column. A reader wrote in to confirm she'd been thrilled with her first successful homemade piecrust.

I always do this for my "Orphans', Refugees', and Procrastinators' Thanksgiving" as one of the desserts. Big smile

Love this site and love Thanksgiving.

Rock on,

Jacqueline Church
http://gourmetfood.suite101.com
http://leatherdistrictgourmet.blogspot.com
sw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Substitute for cream Reply with quote

Milk doesn't like me, so many recipes need some substitution. Has anyone tried something like unsweetened almond milk in this recipe? it'd be creamy and not sweet. What have you tried?
-sw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: