Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my zillionth time making this dish. love it.

oh and yea...me no health issue!

balance people...balance...
Tina Marie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

Added more veges ~ AND utilized organic, low-sodium mushroom soup... Thank you again for the recipe (and site!)

On another note ~ guest "Brady" ~ are you single?? =)
Big bear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: wonderful Reply with quote

Tried this your way and it was wonderful. also did it a second time using cream of chicken and adding a can of mushrooms, I reduced your water by a half cup and added sour cream and chive it was heavenly.

My two cents on the great debate: I grow up on red beans and white rice, chicken every other day and lard bisquits smothered in bacon fat gravey. Our meat was cured with salt and alot of meals of liver and onions became more paletable because of a healty dose of salt. I am 89 years old and am healthy as a hourse.
belden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Not for Han Solo Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for this easy, wonderful, family-size recipe. A Western-sort of chicken pilaf. My family loved it. Had it with lots of leafy salad with juicy cherry tomatoes on the side. It's only unhealthy if you ate the whole pan of chicken-rice by yourself. Perhaps the first poster thought it was a single serve and thus was aghast at the amount of salt and fat?
upper darby, pa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: fat tastes good! Reply with quote

doesnt matter what we eat, it's all about proportions and in moderation.
we all know 'fat' tastes good! Wink

i always make love to my wife after a high fat meal. just be sure you switch position so both of you benefit from burning off the calories, thats right, let her be on top. i recommend that fore-play is used......during fore-plays, our bodies generates heat (a few degrees higher) which effectively burns even more calories! i once calculated that i burned 5000 calories during one session. but i must warn you, every time we experienced an 'orgasm', we lose a brain cell (for those that experienced multiple orgasms, i recommend that you cut your love-making in half). in addition, some of you might contract std if you dont know your partners (so make sure to put protections on those erections)! and finally, losing calories this way can be very unproductive if u dont intend to have children.

anyways, enjoy what u like, but in moderation!
John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

Attack of the Canned Soup Nazis!

As has been said before, "Lighten Up, Francis." Teasing
Concerned Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: HEALTH AND YOUR ATTITUDE Reply with quote

There are plenty of good tasting butter substitutes available to eliminate the butter issue. Most of them have enough sodium to satisfy you butter junkies and they are otherwise very healthy. Smile However, the rice is just white starch that devolves to fat and increases bad cholesterol levels. If you prefer to let your eating habits shorten your life span or make you uncomfortable with weight related diseases like diabetes or heart problems, then ignore what I've said. However, don't critisize me, and others, for trying to help you live a more healthy life. We say what we do because we care about humanity. That's not negative or cruel. It's a family value.
Gerald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: HEALTH AND YOUR ATTITUDE Reply with quote

Concerned Citizen wrote:
There are plenty of good tasting butter substitutes available to eliminate the butter issue. Most of them have enough sodium to satisfy you butter junkies and they are otherwise very healthy. Smile However, the rice is just white starch that devolves to fat and increases bad cholesterol levels. If you prefer to let your eating habits shorten your life span or make you uncomfortable with weight related diseases like diabetes or heart problems, then ignore what I've said. However, don't critisize me, and others, for trying to help you live a more healthy life. We say what we do because we care about humanity. That's not negative or cruel. It's a family value.

Wow. I'm not going to critisize your desire to help others, but not fully understanding the facts and then telling people that X or Y is the most healthful way of eating isn't helpful in the long run. The problem with butter substitutes is that they are in general unhealthful. There are a few on the market which do not include partially hydrogenated fats, but most still contain trans fatty acids. Studies are beginning to show these are worse than the saturated fats found in butter (and some scientists are calling for reanalysis of saturated fats in general).

White starch does not "devolve" into fat. White starch or fats in general don't increase your bad cholesterol either. The human body gets energy just like almost all living organisms on the planet. I don't remember the exact process (which means I'll be doing a google search on this topic and reading for the next half hour) but it involves ATP and breaks down sugars into waste products and extracts energy. This energy, if there's too much, can then be stored for long term storage by being built into fat molecules by the body. Same goes for fat - the fat you eat is not the same fat being stored in your body - it's broken down into it's parts and energy is released and then if not consumed by the body is then recombined with building blocks (other food you've eaten that's been broken down) into fat for long term storage. It's not the white rice that becomes fat, it's eating too much and having too high of a caloric intake for your level of energy consumption that causes the body to produce fat.

Your sarcasm and defensive part of your post doesn't contribute to the conversation and may be why it's so hard to change people's attitude and misunderstanding about certain foods.
dingalong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: chicken dish Reply with quote

I dont normally comment and I am from New Zealand. But let me tell you, there are worse things then this recipe, believe me, at least he didnt say buy ORGANIC!!!

Do you know there are farmers that sell deformed carrots as organic?

You think you have compaints America, try ORGANIC!!!

Oh and by the way caged eggs ARE better than free range. They are cleaner. Everything ORGANIC has diseases and are dirtier!!!

Greenies as we call them in NZ are fukin '' mad mate!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Healthy It up: Easy! Reply with quote

Just substitute LOW SODIUM soup & brown rice to healthy it up!
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say already that I am loving this website. I have learned so much and seen so many excellent recipes. I don't know what I want to try first, but I will be trying this chicken and rice recipe in the next week or so for sure.
Stammon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: By Golly Reply with quote

This nutzoid talk is why I left Ca in the first place. Everyone has an opinion there and they think it's their duty to wave it in your face. We live on a farm and we eat organic. Hells bells we eat what she raises and I kill. It tastes great. So does this recipe. All this talk about salt and fats and taste is BS. The healthiest people on the planet eat processed foods, just look at their size and longevity.
Me, I like our local stuff, but a big mac or KFC once in a while won't kill me and satisfies those caveman taste buds. I have to admit though, KFC more than once a year is too much for me. It's good for colon cleansing though.

Grow up, go outside, get a life.
clatter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made this using a can of coconut milk instead of the mushroom soup, it worked out quite well (rather differently flavoured of course).
Cubana Mama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Chicken Casserole Reply with quote

I just tried this recipe but used a can of LOW sodium cream of mushroom soup. I substituted the white rice with brown rice and sauteed it in olive oil. I added frozen spinach instead of zuchini. I don't mind it it takes more than 20 minutes, the prep time wasn't so bad. Once you put it in the oven, that's it... you just wait till it's ready. By the way, I have three kids, one in high school, one in junior high and a three year old. They really liked the casserole. Thanks for the recipe, keep up the good work. Smile
Quinn

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Fish instead of chicken? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a fish person and I'd love to make this delectable dish with fish and hence, oven baked fish with rice. Do you reckon I should change the baking time? Because fish cooks faster than chicken. Or should I put the fish fillet at the bottom most of the baking dish so it'll cook last? Please advise, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: