Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making a similar dish to this for many years now and found all the extra prep and additive suggestions interesting. I'll have to try some of them next time I make it. Just as a side note, try using ANY other condensed soup (even homemade) instead of cream of mushroom. I can't use anything mushroom in anything for dinner due to allergies. Try it with condensed chicken or celery soup. Yummy Smile

Don't like all the butter? saute with veggie oil. Just remember a lil dab'll do ya

Can't handle salt ( like me)? DILUTE ... use less salt and more WATER.

Cook it covered instead of open-toppped to get the rice done quicker. OR bury the chicken in the rice and bake longer. Want nice browned chicken? put it on top of the rice mixture, just be aware it'll cook faster.

And just because I couldn't resist .... get the poli-sci discussion OFF a recipe forum. I'd like to think this is a place for suggestions or comments on the recipe and not the chemical breakdown and political ramifications of a certain brand of soup.
Mr. B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big smile This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while! At the same time, I also eat healthy. But that still doesn't stop me from enjoying a few that are not good for me, like the chicken and rice casserole that is in the oven as I type ( that I made with campbells cream of mushroom soup). But sorry everyone, carbonboy is right. Open your eyes. Look at what your life really is, thats how you can enjoy it. And to the guy who said "if we didn't learn how to process things, there would be a lot less of us and we would have alot bigger problems..." .... , well, lets just say it made me laugh. Wink Peace and Love
Elaine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Gee..... Reply with quote

Great reading. Will try the chicken and rice, sounds good a a bit different than the one I usually use.

BTW, on all the other discussions, I'm more interested in your opinion of the dish than all the other hog wash. After all the studies that have come out on this or that regarding the food we eat, I'm beginning to go back to the way Grandmother cooked. Fresh eggs, real butter, vegs from my garden.

Grandmother's generation lived to the 90's and 100's, never had a bunch of the allergies, stomach problems, weight problems, and all those other heath concerns that we are facing today. Of course they didn't sit on their tails all day long to watch the idiot box or play video games or look for some computer site where they could gripe about things instead of living life. They were out tending their gardens, feeding their animals and even sewing their own clothes.

Excuse me, got to go, want to move the water to my tomatoes. Smile

Elaine
MC344063

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: chicken & rice Reply with quote

WOW. Shock I just wanted an easy chicken & rice dish. I am trying it with low sodium chicken broth, bone in chicken breasts cut in 1/4's and followed the rest of the recipe using 1/2 butter & 1/2 olive oil. This seems healthy to me.
ADAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: GOOD FOOD, GOOD LAUGHS... Reply with quote

What a riot !!! Love this.

First time I've ever landed on this site, lol. Comment number one is fine, he's posting his opinion, I'm sure the cook can handle some criticism from time to time.
Laughed at the bigot comment, you guys rock !!
Engineers recipes, brilliant idea, only problem- is it's my idea !!! ( Had some similar thoughts, glad to see some guy has done it.)

Damn those stupid frigging women recipes, the Format is my bitching point, so unmanly like, you know- 3/4s teaspoon of this, combine b with a, tie your apron strings tight, bend over and check the oven temp one more fking time, blah, blah......etc. The way they list all the shit at the start, like - Teasing just trying to confuse people- 'secret womens' business', hahahaha...

Cheers til next time guys, keep the faith brothers.
Adam Australia

P.S. Dude, I wouldn't eat the chicken without browning it first in a hot pan and oil, -man, your basically dishing up boiled/broiled chicken, yuk...!! Get some colour into that thing. Lol.
Cyas.
ADAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: HMMMM Reply with quote

Hi again,
after reading further i see that i misjudged(lol) first poster, ..you're a legend mate, dont let them name call you into silence.!!!

Love the joke about the "libertarian" and his big farmer ideology, hahahaaaa...funny and smart, not like others who can't stand the thought of not following the mindless herd over the cliff, the only real problem I have with you is that you're a "babyboomer".

Sounds like there's quite a few of that ilk posting here, lardass gluttonous babyboomers, --as a poster said, stfu and let them meet their self ordained destiny, lol.

See you in Africa.

P.S. God forbid you slight a 'babyboomer'. lol.
ADAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: FFS Reply with quote

Hi sweeties......by the way...

CAN YOU DICKS STOP TELLING FIRST POSTER NOT TO COME TO THIS SITE. IT IS THE INTERNET -YOU CONTROL FREAKS.
HE'S ALLOWED TO VISIT THIS SITE -SO STFU. YOU DONT LIKE HIM POSTING HIS HONEST OPINION ON THE PUBLIC FORUM, MAYBE YOU NEED TO FU*CK OFF AND NOT VISIT THIS SITE, SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE THE ONES WITH THE PROBLEMS. NO ONE MADE YOU READ IT DID THEY? YOU JERKS JUST PREFER BS TO TRUTH, THAT'S YOUR 'BEEF', AIN'T IT?

P.S. Not everyone in the whole world has to like boiled (yuk) chicken and rice slop, topped with a can of crapbells "soup'. Sounds disgusting and probably tastes worse.

Put that in ya pipe and smoke it.

Adam Australia
Gluten-free guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Allegic to Cambell's canned soups! Reply with quote

Since i'm gluten-free and can't eat wheat, i would have to alter this recipe anyways. Does anyone have a suggestion to alter the can of mushroom soup for something homemade?

If there was a previous answer to my question, i missed it due to all the political crap above! Sorry.
ilovefood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Campbell's soup Reply with quote

This blog is the funniest thing I've read all day. I LOL. I was just looking for a recipe to make with the chicken breasts and brown rice. The recipe included here is great, basic American fare, 4 or 5 varieties of this basic recipe were lining the table at every church potluck I went to as a kid. However, although the criticism of the first poster was rude, I agree with everything he says. As a granola cruncher, hippie, health food fanatic, ex-vegan, ex-macrobiotic since the 60's, I have gone around the block a few times over food issues and have come out at the age of 54 as ultra polite and tolerant about other people's food, which has left me with a choking sensation most of the time I'm eating with other people. So, hearing the first poster spew was immensely gratifying, albeit vicariously, and I thank him/her for spewing my repressed expressions.
Sometimes things have to be overstated to counteract the prevailing bland and passive attachment to established norms. Let's call a spade a spade, this recipe is high fat and high sodium. I would love a healthier alternative - probably not the goal of this website, eh?
Thanks to the contributor of this recipe however, I'll probably go make it because we're hungry and we need to eat soon. And there's something comforting about remembering those church potlucks.
socal_chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

I thought car forums were full of controversy and flame wars...I guess food is just as capable of inciting emotional and political outbursts!

I personally love fat and dead animals in my diet. My wife does not so much, so I always find a happy medium and still manage to make delicious food.

I will probably try this, but I'll use EVOO instead of butter, of course. I may use some fresh mushrooms and buttermilk instead of cream of mushroom soup. We never eat white rice, but maybe some wild rice, brown rice, or even barley would be great!

Keep posting your favorite fat-American recipes! That's where flavor comes from...let the rest of us sort out how to adapt it all to our lifestyles!
ilovefood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all those people who say, you're going to die anyway, or everything is going to kill you, I wish to counter that. It just aint so. Natural whole food contains phytochemicals and substances that promote health and foster an appetite for more natural foods, the precise thing that your body needs. The chemicals that produce flavor enhancement are processed to create a dependence and craving of that type of high flavor. People who eat a lot of chemically flavored foods find whole natural food bland Dependence on artificial flavor is an addiction folks. You are not going to be hungry for a salad or broccoli after eating a chemically induced flavor-ful meal. you'll probably be more hungry for a Coke or a beer. if you don't think Campbell's cream of chicken soup is flavor enhanced, read the ingredients.
just lil ole me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: chicken and rice recipe Reply with quote

Teasing
Aw come on, let's just have a sense of humor about this, I probly will make this recipe or one like it. Anyway, eating healthy may not make you live any longer, just make you FEEL like you are living longer! (Or the ones around you that have to put up with you)!! Have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting variety I've had with this recipe, substitute the water in the cream of mushroom mixture with orange juice. It's a bit of a different taste, but one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Gluten-Free Reply with quote

If you're gluten free, try Health Valley cream of mushroom soup, no wheat and no gluten Smile
TeaPot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Do engineers consider themselves to be professionals? Reply with quote

Have you noticed how Michael seems to ignore all the incoming artillery and calmly offers suggestions to people who have questions about the recipes?

Aren't professional people supposed to exercise a little self-control?

I tried to consider the entire range of opinion in the blog, so I departed from the recipe. Since there are apparent flaws in the recipe as offered, I took the chicken out of the oven after 25 minutes, knowing that at that point it would be "half-baked".

Then, I flamed it for about 2-3 months. Then I let it stand for five minutes before serving. Unfortunately, the little pile of cinders didn't look very appetizing, and it certainly wouldn't have served six people. So,...

We went out for chinese food. I asked the waiter if they had any low sodium soy sauce. He said, "I'm sorry, we don't." I said "that's okay."
Then I put a little bit of the regular soy sauce on my dinner. It was pretty good.

You know, this is Michael's site. He could blast away at the crap-slingers if he wanted to. Maybe he explains somewhere why he doesn't (I haven't seen it).

My guess is that he is a professional and has learned an important lesson; as Thumper the Rabbit told Bambi: "If you can't say nuthin' nice, then don't say nuthin at all!"

Bravo, Michael !! Hats off to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: