Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a footnote on the Health Nazi debate. The CDC had to back off of the 400,000 death/yr figure recently... revising it down to the low 20,000 range. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155639,00.html

All of this needs to be taken with a grain (if not a shaker) of salt. The life expectancy in the US continues to climb... which afterall is the bottom line. The increase in longevity (and this will be no shock to any true engineer) closely follows the development of food processing and the increasing use of pharmaceuticals. Imagine that! All of those people spending day after day laboring on production lines and in laboratories and they aren't just doing it for nothing afterall!

Lastly, I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as "inorganic" cream of mushroom soup. I wonder what such a thing would be made of? Language is important. I don't know how the opposite of processed is organic instead of unprocessed... but the fact is that if mankind hadn't learned how to process food there would be a lot less of us here now and we would have a lot bigger problems than what we are going to have for lunch. We would be wondering IF we were going to have lunch!
chef seattle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: opine Reply with quote

I came here looking for a baked chicken recipe but a political self-righteous rant broke out. If Mr. A (we all know what "A" REALLY stands for) doesn't like this site go to another one. One can reduce the chicken fat by taking all the skin off. I don't use cream of anything soups but if you choose to more power to you. I agree that anger is more unhealthy than salt. I prefer to use seasonings and slow bake chicken until it is falling off the bone. I prepare my sauces,etc. separately, but to each his own. Thank you for this site and keep up the good work for those who enjoy it. God bless all.[/b]
IAmTensai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Just made this dish tonight, and it was lovely!

thanks, appreciate it.
Melime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: I like it, honey. Reply with quote

I've made this dish twice modified for brown rice (using organic chicken, olive oil, organic spinach, and organic, low sodium cream of mushroom soup) and am making it again tonight as written above (but with the organic stuff). Whenever my husband says he likes what I make him for dinner, I make it again, and again...Thanks, much!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: sodium Reply with quote

Shock campbell's does make low sodium soups there cream of mushroom
has 470m.g per serving still hi but better then there regular
pharma-chef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: entertaining site Reply with quote

Love cooking for engineers Mike, and loved the chicken dish too, just like mom used to make. I was a little offended by Ranter #2 though. As a pharmacist, I didn't realize I'd been promoting Campbell's cream of mushroom soup! Some people are just too funny.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are there people arguing about food on here. get a fucking life losers. get laid, do drugs, eat shitty food, eat healthy food, believe in religion, hug a tree, but dont go get on ramdon websites hiding behind your computer in your little world pretending to have a voice pussy.
Tina the Talking Tummy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: No Life Reply with quote

okay this is a comment for the faggots who post comments at 6:00 in the morning.. i really think you should get a life. whos cooking at 6 am? well i think this is just a recipe and there really is no need to diss food. so leave the food alone.

sharpton for president yall.. im outtie.. peace.

keep it real,
Pimped Paula
WebGirl26

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: What kind if rice? Reply with quote

You didn't specify whether to use instant rice or what kind of the many kinds of white rice there is. That would have been helpful.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: What kind if rice? Reply with quote

WebGirl26 wrote:
You didn't specify whether to use instant rice or what kind of the many kinds of white rice there is. That would have been helpful.

You can use long or medium grain white rice that has not been parboiled or precooked (such as instant rice) for this dish.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Chicken with Rice Recipe Reply with quote

This made a huge batch of a somewhat uninteresting recipe. Not really worth the effort and ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Broccoli Reply with quote

I'm a fellow Cal engineering grad, and I've liked your site for some time, but this is my first comment.

I was wondering how you'd recommend including broccoli in a way that minimizes overcooking. My girlfriend recommended steaming it seperately, but I decided to compromise by adding it 20 minutes from the end of cooking. I'll let you know how mine turns out, but I wanted your advice as well.

by the way, the lasagne recipe turned out fabulous, even though I omitted the cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good base recipe, added some curry powder, paprika, garlic powder to it, used cream of chicken (with herbs) and used broccoli, (put in mid way through so it didn't get mushy), and used both drum sticks and thighs. Turned out well needed a little more water but I think thats my fault for not measuring the water and just using the can of chicken.
B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: be nice Reply with quote

Why can't everyone be nice to one another in forums?

Sigh.

If you want to adjust the recipe to make it a little healthier, just substitute the cream of mushroom for a can of crushed tomatoes, the white rice for brown or wild, and the butter for extra virgin olive oil. You could use whatever cut of chicken you want, or substitute it with beans.

There's no need to be mean. I try to maintain a healthy diet without being nasty to anyone.

peace.
Meg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't criticize the use of campbell's soup (although I don't use it) because, hey, some people just like to cook with the stuff.

The reason I can't eat this dish is because a friend made this in the dorm kitchen in college years ago with bone-in chicken and didn't adjust the cooking time. It came out, we were served and it was RAW. No one thought to toss it back in the oven or pan to cook longer. We just chunked it.

Since then just seeing this dish makes me gag Disbelief
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: