Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twinlotus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Love this site Reply with quote

I made the oven baked chicken last night and it turned out just like the picture. I will be using your recipes in the future. Reading the comments is great fun!
liz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: recipe chaos Reply with quote

To the Chef, sorry for the idiot who has to be overly critical over a chicken recipe. To the guest Brady, thanks for the great comments. Very refreshing to see an intelligent individual who I agree with whole heartedly! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah trolls. Can't live with them, can't live...with them... Totally making this recipe tonight because it sounds delish.

I know I'm being repetitive here somewhat, but eating the same thing all the time, no matter what it is, is really the problem. Your body gets dependent then when you eat something else and your body reacts it seems bad but it's actually just your body disliking the single-dimensional diet you subject it to. Hence why when I'm hungry, I eat, and listen to what my body is craving.

When you have a good balanced diet: what your body asks for = what your body actually needs, therefore, nom.
bobsnodgrass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: oven baked chicken & rice, health issues Reply with quote

I’ve been a fan of this web site for years & never bothered to read any comments. Some of the comments are not only offensive but also open to argument. As a physician (MD) and rice lover, I have some opinions. I’ve made the dish with both white and brown rice- tasted better with white rice, meaning Uncle Ben's converted rice, which is parboiled before packaging. Many doctors and nutritionists insist that brown rice is superior to white rice, especially for diabetics. When asked for details they say that it has a lower % of starch and lower glycemic index. That makes sense because white rice is made from brown rice by milling off the hull and germ, which have less carbohydrate. However, that's not the whole story. Parboiled rice (boiled before the hull is milled off) is different in texture and content from other forms of white or brown rice. People have parboiled rice in Asia for thousands of years.

My wife and I grew up in different continents eating rice almost every day. We like to fry the rice in a skillet, usually with olive oil, onions and garlic, producing a very firm chewy rice (if we use Uncle Ben's). It’s at the other end of the texture spectrum from sticky Japanese-Korean rice. When I looked up the glycemic index of various rices, I was surprised to find values all over the place - most references say only "white rice" or brown rice". However the carbohydrate content of different rices, e.g. long-grain, medium grain, fragrant, short grain, pigmented (purple) rice varies greatly. If you look for the glycemic index of Uncle Ben's long grain rice, it is variously given as 41-45, less than almost all white and brown rices. Brown rice must be cooked much longer and even still doesn't produce the texture that we like. Uncle Ben's costs more but is superior in glycemic index and can be stored for longer periods of time. For most people, the critical variables are the network of diet and genotype and exercise. We can change two important variables, diet and exercise and can adjust the amount of calories, fat etc that we eat. I don't mean only running or group exercise, or even only aerobic exercise. Dancing is one of the very best and most reinforcing exercises but we should learn it when young. All kids should be indoctrinated into regular exercise (can be cycling or dancing) for life. It will let them eat more, they will feel better, and exercise produces modest improvements in brain function (only if you keep it up). My wife and I eat the same food. In the 50 years since we've been married I've lost 25 lbs and she has gained 30, although I eat much larger quantities than she does.

Eating large amounts of commercially canned foods will give you significantly higher blood and tissue levels of bisphenol A which is probably more harmful than most plasticizers, but occasional intake of canned foods doesn't seem dangerous to adults. Those of us who work in labs know that you can't get pure water if it's stored in any plastic container- the plasticizer leeches out. It must be stored in glass. We all have lots of plasticizer in our bodies but we are bigger and living longer than our grandparents (my grandparents were farmers and ate virtually no commercially canned foods or foods stored in plastic). Unfortunately many organic foods are produced by factory farms nowadays who aren't scrupulous about these issues either. So go easy on plastic containers, including water bottles- plasticizers are probably more dangerous to children than adults but we don't know for sure. There are many big differences between rodent nutrition and human nutrition- rodents with chronic diseases benefit from dietary antioxidants; humans do not (the sole exception is age related macular degeneration). If you are sedentary or have hypertension, use low sodium soups.

So keep up your good work Michael. Keep health issues in mind, but don’t go overboard. Experimental studies of human nutrition are few and mostly very short term; current data suggest that the so-called Mediterranean diet is best for 80% of humans, but in practice some forms of it contain excessive salt. Some genotypes can handle the salt if they get regular exercise. Most of us can’t, that’s one reason that so many millions are hypertensive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Save it Reply with quote

This is my first visit to this website and must say -- disappointed to see such radical postings on a recipe website. Save it for the editorial pages, please -- I believe, from what I read, most people would prefer to browse recipes, decide which ones work for our own diets, say kudos to the chef, and move on in the spirit of cooking. With exception of all the unnecessary tirades -- love this website!
Mary

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This receipe sounds good, and most of the fat and skin can be removed from the chicken. Also you can use olive oil instead of the butter for a healter dish. But 1 tblsp of butter, for this whole receipe, won´t hurt, as long as you´re not using lots of butter everyday. The Campbells soup can be substituted for organic, low sodium soup, for those who can´t have salt. So don´t put down the receipe, just re-shape it, so to speak, for your diet!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Saturated fat is good for you Reply with quote

Rock the animal fat. It is one of the most important things you can consume. Cook only with coconut oil, butter, olive oil, and peanut oil and in that order. They cover most of your temperature ranges for cooking. Refined vegetable oils are what kill you. Stay away; far away.

Carbohydrates are mostly worthless until allowed to ferment/sprout. Most bacteria and enzymes are your friends and avoid eating anything completely dead (pasteurized).

Salt is not your enemy if you do not eat canned/processed foods. Since none of your food contains it unless it is natural, add some, especially enzyme rich natural salts.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary wrote:
This receipe sounds good, and most of the fat and skin can be removed from the chicken. Also you can use olive oil instead of the butter for a healter dish. But 1 tblsp of butter, for this whole receipe, won´t hurt, as long as you´re not using lots of butter everyday. The Campbells soup can be substituted for organic, low sodium soup, for those who can´t have salt. So don´t put down the receipe, just re-shape it, so to speak, for your diet!!!!!!!

Use butter over olive oil and keep the skins on. Chicken is a low-fat animal and you need the fat. Goose is far superior in healthy saturated fat content.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow all that talk over something i eat once a week at school i am a 16 year old teenager and love me some mc donalds and kfc i am at a healthy weight and have no health problens so if you would please stop putting your rants off on "helping The children" and focus on defroestation witch is going to kill us much sooner than eating habits most kids are fat today not because of the type of food they eat but by eating too much food and being lazy gets Cool

Skinny kid
another salt lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: mr. anonymous Reply with quote

i just had to put my two cents in... i was looking for something different to do with chicken leg and thigh quarters and actually have the ingredients here. whilst baking, i looked at the comments. lo and behold! the first one was from a web troll. i think what folks don't get about ppl. like anonymous is that they say what they say, not because they necessarily believe it, but simply to be a naysayer. if you tell them the sky is blue you are an idiot because it's green. anon. doesn't give a rip about OUR health, and i am certain he eats at crapdonalds once in a while, just because it tastes good, as does this dish, and sodium content be damned!
metoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

This is an excellent dish. Maybe you should be a CHEF. Its nice and simple with an excellent choice in Brown Rice. I like to eat healthy foods, generally non processed and organic. But once in a while, something with Campbells Soup is wonderful. Thank you, im cooking this for dinner this evening.
allene

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Sadly, we also found this bland Reply with quote

Tried it the other night as an alternative to "Cream Chicken" (from my husband's childhood, and if you think this is too salty you do not want to know what that is), but even with adding cayenne, cumin, and green onions the rice sucked the flavor out of everything and all we could really taste was onion. Even salted it at the table, and then it tasted of onion and salt. <shrug> But not everyone can like every recipe.[/i]
Dannie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Chiken & rice Reply with quote

Delicious! My whole family loved it! Thanks for this great recipe!!!
dinga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I was looking for something similar to Grandma's recipe - this looks right! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this recipe!
bridgman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, making this one more time. Using 5 big skinless bone-in chicken breasts, rubbed with jerk paste and left for 24 hours. Had a bit more than a cup of brown rice left in the pantry so put it all in, along with carrots / green pepper / onion. Added a big dollop of yellow mustard on top along with the garlic powder (ok, so I missed the pot and squirted most of it on the oven wall, that still counts right ?). There wasn't quite enough liquid to cover the chicken so poured most of a beer on top of the mustard.

Guessing the chicken will cook before the brown rice, probably should have boiled the rice in the pot before adding chicken but worst case will pull the chicken and cover with foil then let the rice finish in the oven.

Stay tuned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: