Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, that’s it – I’m a closeted FOOD NAZI. I had no idea. I didn’t realize term even existed until the famed Soup Nazi episode came to mind with all this talk about fascism.

“Food Fascist” is too good for me -- I should be tried and shot for crimes against humanity (unless those 2 Monster Thickburgers put me out of my misery with a massive heart attack tonight).

In a mere 73-word “poorly thought out diatribe” I insulted “ingredient choices,” used unwarranted obscenities, hopelessly flawed logic and pretty darn poor grammar while still managing to name drop and plug my own thoroughly sinister web log.

All on the flawed premise that American’s eat crap and it’s killing them in numbers unprecedented in this country’s history. Definitely not appropriate for a food blog.
Brady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I’m a closeted FOOD NAZI"
...your word, not mine. I did not use the term "fascism" as a put-down, but as a generalization of the "health activists" in this country that has made "healthy living" their religion. They currently crusade against evil corporations like McDonalds, Burger King, etc... There are trial lawyers galore that are salivating at the thought of sueing the hell out of the fast food industry since they milked all that they can get out of the tobacco industry. Those on the government side would love to regulate and tax the "idiots" who make "poor" health choices.
If you really are interested in helping those 400,000 people a year live longer, do something about it. Posting rude comments on a blog will do nothing to further your "cause".

I have to ask: If you think this is a "dumbass web page", why do you keep coming back?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A libertarian supporting agra-business and big tobacco: wow! I had you guys figured all wrong. I was hoping for your support to legalize pot. Just think -- the government could tax it and vaporize the deficient in a year or two – in spite of the Bush. And we could classify pot as a vegetable, just like ketchup! Plus, a new market for the tobacco industry: they could sell off their holdings in “food.” Big Tobacco could survive!

”Kraft Foods' parent company Philip Morris Companies Inc. acquires Nabisco Holdings, a world leader in cookies, crackers and snacks. The Nabisco brands are integrated into the Kraft Foods business worldwide.”

Hmm, big tobacco is now feeding the children of America – that helps me sleep at night.

Micky-D’s and Burger Krap are part of the fast “food industry?” Next you’ll tell me Archer Daniels Midland Company actually produces food, rather than hybrid polymeric molecular chains of substances remotely related to organic matter (genetically altered or not).

I was going to list the (known) organic and inorganic matter in Campbell’s Mushroom Soup, but it’s been done before. I have this great soup cookbook with no mention of 95% of what’s on the Campbell’s list of wholesome ingredients. How did our forebearers ever survive?

Why do I keep returning? Why do you assume I ever left? I’m on a 36 hour nonstop project, and need YOU to entertain me during my brief breaks until it’s complete.

I’m worse than an engineer, I’m a consulting engineer in the black world, so deep in the annals of government, I’d have to kill you to tell you (it’s OK macaroni & cheese moms, it’s an inside joke, don’t panic - just a joke). We, in the government don’t actually kill anyone anymore – at least on our soil. They allow me the Carbonboy persona to keep me sane. But they watch me closely.

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner. That is what I truly want to be-ee-ee. ‘Cause if I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner, everyone would be in love with me!

Food fight! -– Food fight!! -- Food Fight!!!

Hey Michael L, I did like the thread on Brats. I was born and raised in Sheboygan, WI – THE brat capital of the world. The ONLY way to make Brats is to soak them in water, get your real charcoal grill started and grill them, turning them with only your hands. Then let them simmer in beer, onions and real Wisconsin butter.

The only way to eat a Brat is as a double on a real Sheboygan Hard Roll. You are allowed only the following condiments: ketchup, pickles, onions (fresh and from the beer boil), mustard and lots of real butter. And it’s Miesfeld's Meat Market (see the 5th link).

http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratrecipe2.html
http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratrecipe2.html http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/specialsections/progress/progressbrat2.shtml
http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/archive/local_13476165.shtml
http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/archive/local_13476165.shtml

Too bad my dead father is not around to have a brat with me over the holidays. He loved Brats.

Yeah, those darn “health activists” are a real darn threat to the good old USA. Who is their leader again – mmmmn, no name actually comes to mind, but I bet he’s some former heart surgeon that works for the Terrorist Group better know as the American Heart Association (funded by Cat Stevens I hear).

Fear not, even though Tommy Thompson is a lame duck (and a Wisconsinite) he will not allow the “health activists” to harm you. Agra-business will prevail and Kraft Marconi & Cheese (byproducts) will forever be available to the youth of this great country.

So every law suit challenging the junk food industry was lost – what’s your point? What’s needed is a class action law suit to actually force them to serve food again. But not to worry my libertarian engineer, it won’t happen until well after 2008.

Meanwhile, kids will just keep getting fatter, thanks to Campbell’s and Kraft (aka Philip Morris Companies) and we Americans will continue to be transfixed by the real terror threat to us all, as told to us daily by Fox News.

So I’m a troll, Mr. Brady. Hmm, I apologized twice, didn’t do any harm to all the folks that now hate me, and I care deeply about the children of American because their parents are, through sheer ignorance, killing them. Yup – I’m a troll alright.

“Do something about it,” you say. I am, right here and now:

Moms, stop feeding your kids crap, please.

Michael L, take the crap out of your receipts please -- you are a bad influence.

Let’s see – word for the day: satire, A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.

Later Brady, my assignment is complete. I’m off to the green zone for a time. Wish me luck (or not). I’m beginning to like you.

The Food Nazi – aka carbonboy

Is there no place save from prosetylizing hippies? Sheesh.

I'm not even going to respond to that pile of steaming crap you posted.

But, carbonboy, let it be known:
1) We don't care.
2) See #1
3) See #2
&c., ad nauseum.

People will eat what they want to eat. People will beleive what they want to beleive. There is not much that you can say via the internet that will change people's minds, and taking an extremist tone (as you have in your previous posts), although popular among the liberal set at this point, tends to categorize you with the reactionary extremist freaks. Is it so hard to let people be? There are so many causes that you could be contributing the astounding amount of thought you've lavished on the comments section to that would move the cause forward and help people; yet you persist in spouting ignorant, vitriolic diatribes. Over a tiny bit of sodium.

The internet is about being helpful, not about attacking. If you wanted to be helpful, you would've posted a suggestion to try an organic cream of mushroom base rather than the Campbell's, or an organic vegetable broth. And why would you attack the chicken? You can get free range organic chicken that's *very* good for you at most stores these days.

Attacking is not welcome. Attacking will make people ignore you. Now go smoke some pot and relax, and leave the actual work to us.

-K

K, can we not malign irrelevant political views because of one idiot?

It's just food.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! It'd be interesting to see how much controversy the classic recipe for green bean casserole--complete with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and a can of French's fried onion rings--would stir up.

--Anonymous#289

Ah, but this is the best darn thread in the whole of "Cooking for Engineers." I love all you hate mongers – you all, saturated fat, sodium and apple pie is what makes America so great! Such a compasssionate lot.

Oh, and I don’t smoke pot, that’s about as destructive as anything that comes out of the Campbell's. I just figure we should tax it.

Let’s see, what is an appropriate last statement for Michael’s "Cooking for Engineers" great all American Food?

“Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.”

Well maybe not, if you factor in the “French Paradox.”

Those French folks eat every god-awful thing AND guzzle a bit of red wine and seem to be fine (until Micky-D’s came anyway).

So, if not that, then, what best summarizes soaking perfectly fine chicken breasts in a sodium solution (but not too long):

“Eat shit and die?”

Oh, given I’m this scumbag troll – there’s only one way to rid yourself of me – can you guess what it is?

I’ll give you a hint: don’t feed the troll. Only then will he go away.

Here’s a happy place: http://www.whfoods.com/index.html

Hmmm, real food!

TFN – from the green zone
Cap

Simply stunning. Can we cook something now?

Betty Crocker had no politics involved last I checked.
prozacula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, please. I can't believe someone is as self-involved as mr anonymous. don't fill up a blog about cooking, which people visit in order to escape the politically charged world, with your egocentric ranting!

I am making this dish tomorrow, with a middle finger salute in honor of mr anonymous!
6CFC57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a few statements to start.

1.- I like Mike Chu's blog and I visit it on a regular basis. I'm too a kitchen enthusiast.
2.- I'm simpatethic with carbonboy's point of view. He's saying what's right, and not what's courteous or politically correct.
3.- I don't like dogmas, fundamentalism or integrism.

Why I like carbonboy's point of view? It's like mine, he's a conscious eater. carbonboy, you're noble, being concerned about your fellow citizen's health. There's no place for noble ones up north. Your ways may be wrong, tough.

I can see that in the US when someone has a different point of view, departing from the official one (or a clearer mind, understanding that ye olde american way fairy tale is basically a bunch of lies) is being bombarded, telling him that "if you disagree with something, shut your mouth, move on, disappear". That's no the-country-of-freedom-and-democracy behaviour. In this side of the world we choose to ignore those prepotent ones who yell out ideas instead of stating in. But desagreeing is okay! If we all think the same, there's no progress. Dissident ideas are necessary, you know.

BTW, carbonboy, as an empire's citizen, I agree with you that MacCrap, BurgerKrap, KentuckyFriedCrap and all junk food that you export worldwide is getting more and more young children tucked with saturated fats becoming candidates to obesity.

Junk food is corner stone to the american way. And you yanks keep on exporting your american-way-junk-food; you (or the bush's government) have not understand yet that american way is good for yanks and not for everyone else.

My point: all this discussion is futile, because junk food and saturated fats are necessary to udermine the empire's health, from the inside, and in a coupla hundred years we'll see massive deaths from sedentarism, obesity and other american way diseases.

Mike Chu, keep up the good work.

Anonymous-es: all point of view are valid (right or wrong). A bit of sodium now and then won't hurt no one; a bit of sodium now and then, starting from 3-4 years old, assuming a 80-year life expectance, is quite a great pile of (no, not the s word) Na (sodium). Healthy?

carbonboy: you're not alone out there, facing the wolves (or should I say the hawks?).

carbonboy: if you like healty eating, you've made a good choice; marry a healty eating woman, have lots of healthy children and pass on all your healthy-eating-way-of-life; they'll do the same to their own children, thus spanning a new breed of healty US citizens (I don't say americans, because americans are those who live in America, THE CONTINENT, not inside US borders).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was pretty bland. Very little flavor. I was disappointed.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the brand of cream of mushroom (condensed) soup, you may need to add additional salt to taste. As previously stated in the comments, Campbell Soup's Cream of Mushroom has a considerable amount of sodium, so I don't usually add more. If spiciness is more to your liking, add a dash of cayenne or chop up a jalapeno and sautee it with the onions. The second paragraph of the article has a few more ideas of how to bring more flavor to the dish - my person favorite is spinach with garlic and liberal amounts of garlic powder (not garlic salt) over the chicken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh... Ronald McDonald is not actively trying to kill us. One Big Mac a year won't kill anyone. They aren't forcing anyone to buy their food. Attacking the vendors won't fix the problem, only changing people's eating habits will. And I'd just like to remind you all that it's important to have a little fun in your life. I'd rather be a bit pudgy and eat food I like than to suffer through food I consider terrible 24/7 to prolong my life for ten or twenty years. Not that I think healthy food is terrible, but I'm sure some do. Lighten up, all of you!
Camden

My girlfriend and I tried the Chicken Pot Pie and loved it. Your packets of information, specifically safe defrosting methods, are wonderful (I only pop things into the fridge after freezing them now). This, simply put, is a great site. Thank you.

Holy Moly! Why is everyone so angry?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: