Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Bacon (Part I)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cooking the bacon in the oven on 350 F for 15 minutes. I cook mine on a wire rack sitting on a baking tray. This allows the hot air to circulate under the bacon making it crispier. This method also prevents the bacon from curling up or shrinking much. After cooking remove and set on a plate covered in paper towels. It's crispy baby!
ChesserCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Best microwave method Reply with quote

I have a couple wire racks which go in my microwave, one short, one tall. Basically, I put a layer of paper towels on the tray, but the tall rack in there, hang the bacon on the rack (bridging at least one space at the top), then put another layer of paper towel over the top.

The towel on top keeps the fat from splattering all over the microwave. The paper towels on the bottom soak up the fat which runs off the bacon. Since the fat runs off, the bacon renders VERY well. You can make it as soft or crispy as you like, by altering how long you cook it (I like it soft, the wife likes it crispy).

You end up with U-shaped pieces of bacon, but the sides are straight because gravity has kept them that way while it was cooking. No need for a bacon press.

This works pretty well. The bacon never sits in a pool of fat, so this definitely reduces the calories. And yet, you still get all the flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone who is complaining about their bacon curling, you should look into getting a griddle pan or electric griddle and a bacon press. This is how short order cooks keep their bacon from curling. Ya know, the ones who've been cooking in the back of that little diner for the last 40 or 50 years? I'm not about to argue with how they do things, because they know how to make some damn good bacon!
bill van

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: better bacon Reply with quote

On a trip long ago to visit my sister in Houston, her husband sprinkled sugar on the bacon while it cooked in a frying pan. Outrageous. Till I tasted it. Try it. Earlier in this forum a person suggested slathering the pre-cooked bacon with maple syrup and frying it up. This too is outrageous, and I've just put maple syrup on my grocery list......
Quality Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Better Bacon Reply with quote

The solution is simple. Use two plates. One with 2-3 paper towels on the bottom, then place a paper towel on the top of the bacon and then another plate. Place in the microwave for as many minutes as there are slices of bacon (thin) + 1 minute. The bacon will draw up flat with most of the grease removed. You can tap the bacon when removed with a clean towel and you will have perfect bacon. The setting of your microwave may vary slightly.
CollegeCookinCowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Foreman Grill Bacon!! Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
After reading this forum through extensively, I felt the need for some dead pig ingestion myself, so i set up my brand new foremen grill in my dorm (not sure its supposed to be here, but thats not stopping me...)
Bacon is GREAT on a foremen grill. As long as the dorm mates dont mind the smell early in the morning, the grease is easily collectible in the runoff tray, and the 1/2 strips of bacon fit perfectly when cooked perpendicularly to the grill lines.
Good luck!
John Willis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: microwaving bacon Reply with quote

Everyone loves to use paper towels for cooking bacon in a microwave, but I need to point out that my brother managed to catch our microwave on fire using paper towels. It's the unknown impurities that can cause such an event to happen.
Allen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: cookin da bacon! Reply with quote

Try broiling the bacon in a convection oven. Overlap the edges of the bacon. fat side up. Bacon cooks much more evenly and you can save the grease for seasonig and cooking purposes. Watch the bacon close though, it doesn't take much to burn the whole pan.
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Cooking Bacon Reply with quote

I tried with intrest your bacon cooking methods but personally, still like it fried on a reasonably hot gas in olive oil. This gives golden brown bacon to me, the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Confirm microwave fire w turkey bacon and paper towels Reply with quote

Regarding John Willis's comment on Feb 8 about setting paper towels on fire, I can confirm this. Yesterday I cooked four strips of turkey bacon in the microwave with a paper towel covering it. After two minutes, several points where the towel touched the bacon blackened, generating glowing embers, which burst into flame as I removed the pan from the microwave. I have never seen this before in years of microwaving bacon products, but this will discourage me from ever doing this again.
sklc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: To avoid burns when broiling... Reply with quote

I love the smell of a little burnt fat... So the smart way to prevent it from burning the entire surface of the bacon, is to cover your bacon with strips of carrots. The result is juicy, yet crispy bacon with no carbon. Smile
justacustomr

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: CHAR GRILL Reply with quote

I agree with (and have felt illuminated by) your findings re the perfect cooking method for Bacon, a food which needs capitalization due to near-deity status.

I found a summer method I love: Get a charcoal grill going for some other kind of lucky viand - and when the coals have ceased to become useful for meat-cooking, bung a few strips of Oscar Meyer thick=sliced on there.

Bacon results = crispy & delicious - no fat to clean up, and MMMM char-residue...
tornadobait

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: bacon Reply with quote

Two words for you "engineers". BACON PRESS. Cast iron and a press, makes all varieties, thick or thin, the same quality.
no mess bacon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: CrispyClean microwave bacon broiler Reply with quote

Developed by an engineer, check out this site
www.baconcleanlycooked.com

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a few quick words,

Nitrosamines are known to cause cancer in laboratory animals, when these substances are used to induce cancer, they are in much higher levels than that that bacon can produce....however, there is still much uncertainty as to how dangerous these compounds can be at levels produced by cooking bacon at high temperatures.

health officials in the united states, back in the 70's, because of this risk, require all prepackaged sliced nitrate/nitrite cured bacon to be treated with vitamin C (an antioxidant) which is known to neutralize Nitrosamines to a degree.

that said, if your smart, and consume nitrate/nitrite cured bacon or ham on a regular basis, your best off cooking either at a low temperature, under 300 degrees F.

Whether pan frying or cooking in the oven you can have great results with bacon at around 200F for several hours...the exact timing being heavily dependant on the intitial temperature of the bacon.

besides reducing the risk of cancer, there are a couple of other benefits of cooking in this manor, most of all the texture....when done right the resulting bacon is the perfect blend of chewiness and crispiness. Another being the low maintenance requirements....you CAN do other things around the house while cooking in this manor....and to top it all off, there is much less concern about air currents (leading to uneven cooking in the oven) or overcooking one side due to not flipping or even flipping at all...you dont need direct contact with the metal to cook in this manor, the bacon grease does the work.

the major drawback is that to justify the hours of waiting....your going to need to make alot of bacon at once....whether in the pan or the oven, i typically cook about 3-5 lbs at a time...it keeps for about a week or so in the fridge, provided you microwave it for a few seconds prior to consuming or can be stored in the freezer for 6 months or so.

some people like meat burnt...people are going to cook how they are going to cook, and I'm an example of that with chicken and beef on the grill and smoker.... I would just suggest that anyone who regularly injests foods that have visible charring, and in particular, foods that contain nitrates/nitrites also consume large amounts of antioxidants...it's not going to hurt you, and may just let you enjoy the foods you love a little bit longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: