Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Bacon (Part I)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoochild777

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Two Forks Reply with quote

I found that when pan frying bacon that using two forks to grab the bacon and turn it works better than tongs or any other utinsel i've found. Give it a try!
rednikki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Great bacon pages - I've linked to them! Reply with quote

Hi, Michael!

Your pages on bacon are great. I just wanted to let you know that I linked to you from this page:
http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_make_perfect_bacon

Great stuff!

Nicole
GBoudreau1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Perfect microwaving instructions... Reply with quote

Depending on your wattage and amount you are cooking this may differ. I have a 1700 watt microwave. On a paper plate lay two paper towels down. Place your bacon on the paper towels. Cover with one paper towel. For 6 slices, go 2:45 on high. For 8-9 slices go 4-4:30 on high. Perfect bacon every time!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: remember bacon grease is flammable Reply with quote

I baked my bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet in the past. I neglected to remove excess grease between batches, and the grease caught fire in the oven....just something to keep in mind.
scydle42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: bacon! Reply with quote

Next time you BBQ, throw some bacon on there. the extra smoke of the BBQ adds to the flavor. Makes a really great BLT.
Bruce R Leech

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: cooking bacon Reply with quote

try putting it backers sheets in the oven at about 180 deg. F it takes about 30 min but you don't need to turn it or do anything until you take it out. with this method you will get the best bacon with the least shrinkage and every peace will be the same. this is the way I prefer for preparing large batches for the restaurant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Baking Bacon Reply with quote

I have tried the Alton Brown method listed below, using a shallow baking pan and placing the bacon on a cooling rack inside the pan. I used thick sliced bacon and baked it at 400 degrees, just checking for doneness after 10 minutes or so. The bacon stayed flat and was perfectly crispy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: bacon rack Reply with quote

They make ridged plastic bacon racks specifically for microwaving bacon. They're very handy -- you just put the bacon on there, pour out the grease when you're done, and voila. Mmm...bacon...
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: bacon Reply with quote

^ Check Bacon Part II.

Here's the ultimate bacon recipe.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that's bacon!

I'd be tempted to plop it on an omelet then flip inside out . . .
but cheese is good <g>
mcf, Boston MA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Even bacon Reply with quote

A great trick to keep your bacon cooked evenly--and flat--is to simply place another pan on top of your pan.

E.g., 250F put a cookie sheet pressed down on top of your bacon on foil on its cookie sheet. With contact, cooks evenly, flat like pancake, so much better than micro. Takes a little longer, though.
davea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: GRILL IT! Reply with quote

The best way to cook bacon in my opinion is gas grilling. Cook it as fast as you possibly can (highest heat, top rack). To avoid bacon curling up, make cuts into the fat every inch and a half or so. Also, as soon as the fat goes golden and crispy turn the bacon over. This will then make the bacon contract in the other direction towards the heat.

Also, for extra flavour only butter one side of the bread. Place sauce on buttered side. Keep one slice of bread spare to dip in the fat after you're finished. This way you don't waste any flavour. Don't worry about calories, we're cooks not doctors.

this is the way ALL my family cooks bacon and im yet to find anyone who can challenge me on my bacon sarni skills.
Brian H.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: fire vs. cancer Reply with quote

I think that guy who said bacon is healthier baked at a low temperature so he cooks it overnight (while sleeping I presume) should reconsider leaving an electric oven on overnight with a flammable high-fat item inside. I mean, if you care about your health, the fire will get you before the cancer. Be that as it may, I am excited about baking bacon for the first time, following the advice of using a low temperature, but only when I'll be close by and awake to do so. Thanks for the tips.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for entertainment value, you can see Ina Garten's approach to baking bacon here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/maple-roasted-bacon-recipe/index.html

It was on Barefoot Contessa today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: BAKE IT! Reply with quote

The hands down best way to cook bacon is to bake it, not broil it, in an oven. Place the bacon in a shallow pan and stick it in the oven at 300-325F. Bake for about a half hour until browned, turning once. When it's done, remove it from the pan and blot between paper towels. Every piece will be an even golden brown and it will literally melt in your mouth. The bacon will have an even texture throughout with no hard areas like you get in a microwave or by frying.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: