Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Why do marshmallows need to rest? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
All the recipes I've seen require marshmallows to rest for at least a few hours. Does anyone know why marshmallows need to rest? Why can't we use them freshly whipped? I'm thinking of making some crispy treats. Since the marshmallows are already soft, I thought I'd be able to cut out the step of melting them down.

If I'm understanding your question properly, then I believe you can cut the resting time out for making crispy treats. In fact, there might be a way to cut down on the whipping/mixing time since you don't need them to hold that much air.

Recipes for marshmallows require resting time so they set and can be eaten while at room temperature.
greenapple

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: sugar free marshmallow Reply with quote

Anyone has a sugar free marshmallow recipes for diabetic people. I can't consume regular sugar. thanks.
greenapple

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: sugar free marshmallow Reply with quote

Anyone has a sugar free marshmallow recipes for diabetic people. I can't consume regular sugar. thanks.
butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i use Golden syrup instead of corn syrup??
Megan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: fluffy Reply with quote

There are a lot of comments on here so if these questions were previously asked, I am sorry.

I am having issues getting the mixture to fluff while I'm mixing it. I am wondering if the temp. wasn't right. It took almost 45 min. to get anything near fluffy. Could this be because it might be too hot or too cold?

I also used veggie gelatin, could this be part of the issue? Does it act the same way as regular gelatin?

As for substituting pectin, DO NOT DO IT! Bad idea. 1. It doesn't thicken at all like gelatin does (I have made them non vegan a couple years ago and they turned out fine). 2. It would only be good if you like citrus flavored marshmallows. I got just regular fruit pectin and the mixture tasted like lemon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also very tasty if you use cocoa powder instead of powdered sugar.. =)
mcguffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: fluffy, golden syrup Reply with quote

I've made marshmallows quite a bit, just discovered this blog/thread. Vegan/vegetarian gelatin isn't always strong enough to make marshmallows. I was disappointed that Kogel and Lieber's unflavored jel won't work. I have a number of large asian stores in my area but none source konjac, so I haven't tried it. It sets hard enough in jelly and candy that it can be a choking hazard. (I am waiting as I post for agar to soften.)
I've used agar to replace gelatin in Bavarois with only the difference in heating/melting. I buy agar (Telephone brand) from asian markets, mostly available in small packets 4 Tablespoons each. NOW brand from health food stores isn't a reliable strength. Make sure the Agar you buy is intended for food use and be aware that there are different jelling strengths. It is usually used in the same amounts as Knox gelatin.

Use Golden Syrup if you can find/afford it!!!! In the U.S. it is very expensive. I used 1/4 cup golden syrup with 2/3 cup corn/Karo syrup....unbelievably fantastic. Food Blogger Mowielicious used only golden syrup, recipe is on his site.

Marshmallows need to rest so the structure can solidify/set. I've also learned to keep whisking until the mixture is lukewarm and my KitchenAid starts to change pitch ever so little. Just whisking until light and the whisk leaves trails will not set the marshmallow enough to keep its shape cut.
Merlinsoars

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Marshmallows not setting up Reply with quote

Well ive tried Alton Browns recipe for marshmallows several times now.. the first batch came out splendid...My next batch i tried to use orange puree instead of water to bloom the gelatin...they tasted wonderfull but did not set up very well... added food coloring and a bit of orange zest and 1.5 tsp of orange extract to that batch... my last batch i used a banana extract (2 tsp) and food coloring. Still the same issue with staying very sticky and not setting up as the first batch... any ideas??? aside of course going back to the exact recipe...
shefemale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: vege marshmallows Reply with quote

ive been trying to make some vegan marshmallows 4 some time using Dr.Oteker vege gelatin but it dosent set and sometimes doesnt even get fluffy!!
help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try:
http://veganmarshmallows.blogspot.com/2009/04/vegan-marshmallow-recipe.html
shefemale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: vege marshmallows Reply with quote

the problem is i cant find any of the engridients other from this blo in the market Sad the only yhing i could find was the vege gelatine from Dr. Oteker and it was after months of waiting
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure I can help.

here's the ingredients:

5T soy protein isolate 90% (available at many health food stores)
2t Baking Powder
1/4t guar gum
3/4C cold water
1.5C raw sugar
1C light corn syrup
1/2C water
1T Genutine Vegetarian Gelatin
2t vanilla extract

guar gum - readily available - see Bob' Red Mill stuff
soy protein isolate - the internet is teeming with sources
raw sugar - use regular granulated sugar if you can't find this

the veg gelatin you have.
caschleen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Marshmallow sap recipe? Reply with quote

Anyone have an original marshmallow sap recipe? I've dredged the internet and only found one, which really did not work well. I know I must change my expectations of what a 'marshmallow' is in this case, but would love it if anyone had an original source recipe to try out. Thanks!
caschleen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: sugar free marshmallow Reply with quote

greenapple wrote:

I can't provide a recipe, but I did experiment with making marshmallows with Agave Syrup, which has a low glycemic index. It worked well except that it was *super* sweet. Perhaps you can investigate mixing it with another kind of syrup replacement that has a low glycemic index. It is important that the syrup have the same properties as sugar (changing elasticity when heated) in order to give the marshmallow its texture. But I'm convinced this is possible with some playing around.
Elle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Forgot Vanilla? Reply with quote

Being the total space cadet that I am, I forgot to add the vanilla... Does anyone have suggestions on how to flavor them after the fact?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: