Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cornstarch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: cornstarch Reply with quote

Hello, i have a guestion. I don't think i'll find cornstarch, so can i replace it with anything else in the lemon bars recipe or just do it without the cornstarch?
cynicalb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oana,

Cornstarch is fairly common - I'd be surprised if you can't find it (at least in the US - if you are in amother country, perhaps that is the case). Per my "On Food and Cooking", you can substitute 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons of wheat flour for 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. The resultant gel will not have the glossy look of a cornstarch thickened mixture and may have a slightly raw taste. Potato starch or arrowroot can also be tried, although I do not have the equivalents to cornstarch for them. Their advantage is that they will not have the raw taste and you can use smaller quantities. I would start out trying half the amount of potato starch or arrowroot to the measured amount of cornstarch. Let us know how it turns out.

cb
oana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for answering. i found cornstarch now. (i wasn't sure what exactly it was Unsure ) now i know Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum